back to article Mighty hard-sums special function toolset goes online

US federal boffins are chuffed as ninepence to announce that they have transformed their "most widely cited publication of all time" - a huge handbook/toolkit of hard sums - into an online service. The work in question is the mighty Handbook of Mathematical Functions from the US National Institute of Standards and Technology ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Giddy Kipper
    Happy

A Gem ....

Lewis, an absolute gem - "real hard-sums engineers (as opposed to MCSEs)".

Cue spotty-face MS certified "software engineers" - 'yesterday I couldn't spell "programmer", now I are one!'

*waves certificate*

w "hello world",!

1. George of the Jungle
      Thumb Up

Good one!

Brilliant. That made me laugh this morning also!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Title

2 / 0

Kabooommmmm.....

Would you like a nice game of chess?

3. The Mighty Biff
    Unhappy

Internet Explorer

Cannot display the webpage :(

1. Gene Cash Silver badge
      FAIL

That's not the webpages' fault

Use a shite browser, get shite results. You must be one of those previously-mentioned MCSEs.

4. gHoTI
    Heart

Bravo! and well said.

This is the kind of article that I visit the reg for..

Never have I snorted milk from my nose so often while reading an informative newspiece, and I haven't drunk milk for 15 years now.

Please, please somebody chain this man to a desk in el reg for eternity, so that these may continue.

5. frank ly
    Boffin

Assistance Required

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but I'm sure there's a mistake in equation 25.15.5 (Dirichlet L-functions)

Equations 25.15.1-4 define and express L(s,X) in various ways.

25.15.5 defines L(1-s,X) and contains the terms e^(+/-)Pi.i.s/2

BUT if I try to derive 25.15.5 from 25.15.1-4, I get the signs of the Pi.i.s/2 terms the other way around.

Is this because I haven't taken account of some property which is related to the presence of the complex conjugate of X in the final term?

Can you all please go through this and let me know what may be happening here?

1. DavCrav

My guess is...

...(although I haven't tried deriving it myself) that the complex conjugate means you need to shift by exp(pi i) in the standard way. Try separating real and imaginary parts and equating them if you can't shift things using standard expressions...

6. Pigeon

I got one with more pages

My Dover "Handbook of Mathematical Functions" (Abramowitz and Stegun) has 1045 pages, which is more. I can't do subtraction, so I can't tell you how many more pages, but it is a most entertaining read.

7. Jan 0 Silver badge

Cue "The Normal"

NAG, NAG, NAG*

UK's finest. What are they up to?

*Numerical Algorithms Group.

This topic is closed for new posts.