back to article Google, Intel and Sun save the world!

Welcome to Episode 8 of Semi-Coherent Computing - the savior edition. Yes, this week's show has Sun Microsystems software engineer Bryan Cantrill talk about the role that DTrace plays in saving servers and applications gone wrong. Cantrill explains some of the basics around how DTrace helps with system tuning. In addition, he …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kamilion Schnook of Second Life
    Coat

Power Supplies

Frankly, I'm surprised we're still using nasty bulky power supplies.

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.417/.f?sc=8&category=13

I have one of these running my full size ATX nforce2 motherboard. It takes a single 12V line in and generates all the different voltages needed by a motherboard. Why arn't these just built onto a motherboard? Your average PC power supply could be a lot smaller and more efficient if all it had to deliver was 12V and 5V. Plus you could do what I'm doing, and run a PC directly from a solar panel charged battery. I wish I could do the same with my monitor!

DOWN WITH ATX POWER SUPPLY CONNECTORS! :D

2. Harris Upham

transcripts and monitors

For Kamilion- I've seen and used literally dozens of LCD panels which accept plain old 12v input. Obviously, there are plenty of other selection criteria I'm not aware of for your situation, but I wanted to mention that they do exist.

Also, I'm curious to learn if the register ever posts transcripts of these audio feeds- sometimes the content appears interesting, but I don't like to spend time listening rather than reading.

3. Ashlee Vance (Written by Reg staff)

Re: transcripts and monitors

We're not doing transcripts for the moment, mate. And I doubt we ever will.

We write quite a bit about most of the topic covered in the shows, and, well, audio suits some people and doesn't suit others.

AV

4. yeah, right.
    Thumb Down

@ Ashlee

So I guess it's a hearty "fuck you" to deaf people then? Sounds about right coming from the Reg I guess. Who needs physically handicapped people knowing more about technology or what's happening after all.

Hey, I know, why don't you make the website with a red background and green text, that gets rid of the most common colour blindness sufferers. You could also force the text to be really really small (post as an un-resizable image or something) to get rid of those with other eyesight issues. I don't know, be creative! Lots of stuff you could do really to get rid of the annoying "handicapped" crowd and their constant bleating for accessibility.

5. Ashlee Vance (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @ Ashlee

So you're volunteering to do the transcripts?

AV

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@ Ashlee

A hearty Fuck you on a Sunny Indian Saturday... What a way to start the day.

I already feel energised. Now gimme some Paris Hilton please ;)

No Transcripts PUHLEEZ. The Mumbo Jumbo is already fueled by Vendor Centric views which MUST be avoided at all costs. Since charity begins at home, i am planning to go deaf starting monday.

___

Grammar Nazis don't do a spell check. Neither do dyslexics

7. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Transcripts

Believe me, if you've ever seen Bryan Cantrill do a presentation you'll know that even audio doesn't do him justice, no way do you want just a boring transcript...

This topic is closed for new posts.