back to article Did LibCon alliance bring down O2 network?

O2 suffered a widespread voice and data network outage last night just before 8pm. Irritated customers filled O2's customer forums, with some reporting that their contract phones weren't working while pay-as-you-go handsets were still working. Many complained that O2's website has no network map showing current problems. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ejoftheweb

official name for the coalition

is, of course, ConDem, whether we like it or not. Nothing else should be used, in the interests of preserving national cynicism.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

We now officially live in con-dem nation

Coalition is definatly not LibCon!

Con > Lib Therfore

ConLib

ConLid

ConDem

1. Richard 120

Whatever

The one thing for certain is that there's a Con in there somewhere.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

"Caused by loss of power"

is curiously applicable to the political world, of course. But probably not what they meant.

3. Michael Parker

'A spokeswoman for O2 said'

Ah, so you got the quote off their facebook group then... :)

4. paulf
    Coat

O2 network down again?

Perhaps someone sneezed in Yate,

Or perhaps an iPhone user started trying to download data at 128kbps in an urban area

5. Anonymous Cowherder
    Flame

I think you'll find....

it is actually ConDemNation.

6. Dangerous Dave
    FAIL

no-2

I've had enough of O2 after over 5 years. Contract is up in August and I'll be running for the hills. I've got a Vodafone work mobile that never has any problem with data connections (I'm not saying Voda's is up 100% of the time but I've never experienced an issue, though strangely enough i use the Vodafone for data more than I do the O2). Wife is on O2 as well and experiences the same drop outs as i do, so i'm forever changing APN's to try and find something that works (changing it from mobile.o2.co.uk to wap.o2.co.uk is usually a fairly decent workaround, until that goes down and you have to switch back)

Over the last two years O2's data connection has gone to pot. Over subscription since the iPhone graced our lives? It's Jobs' fault, i'm convinced :)

7. pctechxp

Loss of power following panned engineering work

What did they do, finish the work, head for the van and wait till they were telephoned to say there was no power?

Surely they noticed something was wrong before they left the site?

8. Ashley Adams
    Coat

O2 gone titsup?

Yesterday evening I saw a fascinating outpour of grief on my newsfeed... First we had people moaning about the political outcome, this was quickly followed by Eastenders fans whining about the delay (and subsequent cancellation) of yesterday's episode, then to top it all off O2 went down and along came the posts of anguish regarding that.

I did feel sorry for the Labour supporting, Eastenders watching, O2 customer... it really wasn't a good evening for them!

As an O2 user myself, I was really looking forward to reading what el Reg would have to say about the issue this morning... but I'm slightly disappointed you failed to use the word "titsup" in the article!

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Glasgow & Edinburgh too

Text messages from O2 contract iPhone to O2 contract iPhone were taking three hours to be delivered yesterday evening here in central Scotland.

Maybe that falls within normal O2 service levels mind you.

Not confident my new iPhone will be on O2 come July, even at the cost of losing the O2 broadband discount.

10. Mike Wilson
    FAIL

Fixed at 3am? I think not

12:08 on Wednesday and I still can't make calls from my O2 pay as you go. Can't send texts either. I'm in south west Wales which wasn't mentioned in the facespace/twatter messages quoted in the story.

11. John Sims
    Dead Vulture

They took down Orange data as well

I had a problem on the Orange network in Staffordshire at the same time where I couldn't get a data connection.

P.S. I'm still p***ed off with you Reg for not returning the bleeding vulture graphic - I mean how long does it take to restore a bit of Reg heritage to it's rightful place alongside Paris?

12. Bobajobbob

O2 data was loopy all day yesterda

The O2 3G signal was up and down like a whores' drawers all day yesterday. I was on Edge most of the day sometimes dropping back to GPRS. The entire network also went down twice late afternoon. I can only assume it was all the media luvvies, journos and bloggers tweating and blogging on their iPhones.

13. Geoff Spick
    FAIL

salient point

Nowhere on the o2 site is an obvious link to a status page, jeez - even Virgin have managed to master this technical behemoth.

14. Caffeine Junkie
    FAIL

Still not recovered yet

I'm in Swindon and my service has been patchy at best today. It rotates between No Signal, Signal with Edge data connection, and Signal with alleged 3G data connection (but with no actual connectivity)

15. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Not only Midlands, South West and Northern Ireland

I was in central London travelling out. It wasn't until I got past Woking that service was usable. And to make things worse I'm sitting in the sun in the wilds of rural Salisbury with full signal strength and not receiving any of the calls being made to me.

16. Richard Vivash

Bit up and down

I'm in Plymouth and service went down around 8pm last night and cam back at 2:45am (I know as I was woken by several text messages all coming through at once).

Service has been a little flaky today, but seems to be stabilising now.

17. Da Weezil

Off Net?

Here in west Wales although we have a healthy signal we are not able to dial a number, and texting is very hit and miss I had to try sending the same text half a dozen times before it finally left my inbox - not sure if it arrived tho. Unusual for o2 tho, they are usually the most reliable in my area

18. Matt 20
    FAIL

Multiple and delayed texts

Last night I kept getting SMS messages re-sent to my phone, about an hour after I had originally received them. As I was having quite a lengthy text conversation with a mate, it made life somewhat confusing -- I thought one of us was going senile at first!

This morning I awoke to 27 new messages, all random duplicates from yesterday.

19. Da Weezil
    FAIL

Still down

.... and still unable to dial some 36 hours into this farce. o2 customer disservice claim they cant guarantee full service at all times and wont be compensating me for the loss of access to packages charged "by period", however I am going to talk to Trading Standards today about the requirement for companies to use reasonable skill and care in provision of a service. I feel they are failing this test now,and given the fact that last night I was given 3 different versions of the issue by call centre staff - 2 of whom displayed minimal customer handling skills- I feel it is time for o2 to face their responsibilities in this.

Fail - o2 has multuiple fails in both network and CSA centes

20. Da Weezil
    FAIL

Still down

Still out in West Wales despite the promise of a fix by 3 am. Total farce!

21. SSR
    Thumb Down

That Might Explain It

Curiously my (O2 contract) phone went completely offline last night, and only a reboot this morning brought it back to life.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like