back to article Latest iPhone 4G leak reveals A4 CPU

Apple's ARM-based A4 processor, the CPU that powers the iPad, will also power the next iPhone. Some bright spark in Vietnam managed to get hold of a prototype of the upcoming handset and not only took snaps of the machine from all angles, but took the blighter to bits. Taoviet iPhone Source: Taoviet The phone's circuit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Tserkezis

Not again.

Did he buy this one at a pub too?

2. hugh
    Jobs Horns

where's the magic?

I see no magic.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Again?

Sounds to me like the Apple marketing machine is working double time.

4. frank ly
    Happy

I had to say it.....

At least this guy knows where his towel is.

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

WHY....

Is there such an interest in an unreleased product? it doesn't happen to dell or nokia or sony or samsung or HTC or microshaft, or ubuntu or panasonic or canon or HP or acer or aspire or ford or heinz or mcdonalds.. and yet Apple fans claim to be normal!?!?

http://www.geofftech.co.uk/iblog/download/iproduct.jpg

1. Mad Hacker

Figure out the answer to your question and...

You'll be a marketing guru. No idea why Apple commands the amount of excitement and press they do. Some of it must be due to their secretive nature. Many companies announce products 6 months ahead of schedule like at CES which kind of takes away any excitement. But even for companies that don't they still don't get the interest Apple does.

Maybe it's because they've occasionally released a product that really changed the market and everyone is hoping the next product they release will be a game changer. Like them or not the iPod changed music players (it wasn't the first MP3 player but it was the one that changed the market) the iPhone changed the cell phone industry and the original Mac changed the computer industry (i.e. the Mouse became "normal" and word processors all become more publishing oriented like MacWrite instead of embedding printer codes within the docs.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

I know the answer..

Its called shiny, shiny, bling, bling.

The reason Apple is where it is today is because they focused on Style. And because so many of today's population strive to be seen as stylish, Apple is a must have.

The problem is that Apple must avoid the Burberry problem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burberry#UK_image_problems_and_revitalisation) and the easiest way to do this is to stay expensive and hence exclusive. However this leads to another problem; lack of sales, so the trick is to balance the exclusivity premium just right. It turns out that there is narrow margin that people will pay for 'style' and 'exclusivity' alone (above and on top of the substance that is the device itself) That is the trick that apple is performing!

It's easy to demonstrate that the iphone is about style alone because it has to be shown, nobody has a secret iphone, everyone in an office knows who has an iphone, everyone with an iphone will go to extraordinary lengths to tell everyone that they have one. 'hey have you seen this funny but useless app? here, look at my iphone.'

sent from my iphone.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is why.

Samsung, HTC, et al release a new product every 5 minutes. When I say 'new' I mean 'incremental'. Oh, the camera's got a few more pixels. Ooo different coloured buttons! Nobody cares. Move on, nothing to see here. How many phones have Motorola got out at the moment? Hundreds. And they're all shite.

In comparison, Apple releases are few and far between. They're significant. They're innovative. They shape the market. Competitors rush to copy them, and fail miserably in the process.

3. Frank Bough
      FAIL

Hang on

the Reg runs the story and YOU not only read it but commented on it? Who's in the frame now?

4. Ammaross Danan
      Jobs Horns

Title

Last I checked, when a Beta copy of Win7 "leaked" to the *net a few days prior to release-to-beta-testers, it mounted a significant number of downloads, torrents, and plenty of media coverage. Perhaps it is the Taboo of having something you're not supposed to see yet. (which falls back to Apple's secretive nature)

6. Brian 62

Main link down

Link to taoviet is down. Still working via Coral Cache

http://taoviet.vn.nyud.net/showthread.php?t=16471

7. Coward for a reason!
    FAIL

glad

I stuck with htc and android (from magic to desire), nothing much to look at here moving on.........

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Juicy

Having played with an iPad I can say that the A4 is a extremely impressive piece of silicon.

I've never owned an iPhone, but the 4G is tempting.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Remind this guy...

... *not* to return this prototype to Apple. Given the geography, Apple might even kidnap him and throw him into a Khmer Rouge-controlled area in neighboring Cambodia. Why? Because they can!

10. Ed 11

Is it just me...

... or does everyone else also find it amusing how many people bother to comment, solely to say how little they care. It's an odd response to not caring, I must say.

Is the Android app store any good yet, or will I be forced down the iPhone route come June/July if I want a device to browse the internet whilst on the go and to play decent games when I'm on the loo?

1. Dr Richard

No it is not just you ...

... and of course its just iNess envy. No one is forced to buy Apple products.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

yes!

Yes the android app store is good, it doesn't have the publicity of apple, but it has all the usual suspects and useful apps, it doesn't AFAIK have the bouncing boobies app yet. whats better is that a very high percentage of android apps are free!!

Before you buy the iphone go look at and feel and use the HTC desire! then tell me the only phone is the iphone! (I wont stop you buying one if that is what you really want!)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Curate's egg

The Android app store is OK, browsed on an Android device. It's not as slick and useful as the Apple one, nowhere near, but if you're good at speculative searching by substring, it's perfectly serviceable.

Apple have completely nailed that bit of the user experience, too. Still, Android is a really nice platform to use, now. It covers most of what I need day-to-day pretty easily.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not really a surprise

Apple was scarcely going to the trouble of building custom silicon purely to power a device for which the market was totally uncharted, whereas they can pretty comfortably assume they'll shift a few iPhones

12. Frank Bough
    WTF?

Oh come on

I've never seen an iPhone 4G but I knew for an absolute certainty that it'd use an A4 proc. Is this actually news to anyone?

13. Adrian Esdaile
    FAIL

The reason Apple is where it is today is because they focused on Style.

aaaand that's where your argument fails.

The photos exhibited, while showing a product, do not contain any style. If thats the new iPhone, I ain't buying one, Apple logo or not. It's FUGLY! It looks like something Sony would design. It reminds me of the PSP! I seriously doubt Apple designers would look at a Sony or Nokia, or heaven forbid, Samsung phone and think 'Gee, that looks good, let's copy that!'

If this really is the new iPhone, I think Apple have a Lisa on their hands.... Mind you, they've done butt-ugly before *cough* late 90's iMac *cough*

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

hahahaha

Good one!

Its not about style, Because this one is not stylish enough!

Brilliant I couldn't have made it up!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You know its an apple becasue when you see it you say wow.

Whether its an abundace of perspex chrome or white isn't really important, What is, is that Apples products just look so good! I dont want an ugly beige/grey box. I want something that makes me feel good. somethign that makes me proud to own it, something I just have tell everyone about... Apple Provides that!

This 4G does not live up to Apples standards! its plasticky not metal its got nothing new, infact it looks like a bad copy! I dont care if it performs better it looks crap, I don't want it.

15. James 6

Protohype

Protohype

The process of leaking a prototype device to generate buzz about a product you don't quite yet have ready for market to a friendly tech website who will promote the gizmo well before it's ready to go.

16. boingo
    Jobs Horns

Will Steve bother with his "oh, just one more thing" for the next iphone?

...seeing as its possibly now the worlds worst kept secret!!

Having said that my 2yr contract ends in June and my trusty iphone 3g simply cant handle running Navigon with 3D terrain view - so I may well upgrade.

Looked at the HTC desire and it doesnt quite do it for me, plus I have an investment in iphone apps I'd have to walk away from.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like