back to article Swiss watch auctioned for £3.76m

A private Swiss museum has stumped a cool 6.26m Swiss francs (£3.76m) for a "unique" Patek Philippe perpetual calendar chronograph watch, which now has the honour of being the most expensive yellow gold watch ever to sell at auction. The Patek Philippe watch sold yesterday According to Christie's, the 1943-44 timepiece ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Recession, what Recession?

Looks like the bankers must be getting their bonuses again...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/05/1936-bugatti-type-57sc-atlantic-sells-for-a-record-30-million/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fautoblog+(Autoblog)

2. Jimmy Floyd
    FAIL

It's not theirs

Having paid a substantial wedge for that glorified sundial, I wonder if the buyer was aware of the haughty, supercilious and downright irritating Patek Philippe adverts that condescendingly state "You never actually own a Patek Philippe, you merely look after it for the next generation."

Gutted....

3. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

When would you wear it?

Job interviews? It's a nice understated display compared to a motor yacht though, hope it gets some wrist time and isn't just stuck in a case for another 50 years.

Paris: Checking wrists more carefully from now on?

4. yakitoo
    Badgers

The title..........................

Could have got it a lot cheaper on e-Bay

5. Dances With Sheep
    FAIL

Mine is more accurate

Bollocks to that. My £20 Casio watch picks up the time signal broadcast from the NPL's atomic clock. So stick that in your Swiss pipe and smoke it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So, in reality

It's so inaccurate, that it constantly has to correct itself from an external source.

You know, hard as it is to believe, people do notice your watch if you are a bloke, and on some level, judge you for it.

1. william henderson 1

unlike

the clock work thingy that needs to be corrected manually, with reference to a clock which in turn refers to the digital time signal, or the radio and its varying accuracy depending on which station you tune in to.

2. g e

Can't argue with that!

LOL

However that watch is a shitload prettier than your Casio, seriously.

3. Pigeon

You are lucky

I have a Casio too. As long as I place it in the right place at night, it synchronizes, and has not suffered from the rubbish software in several other (useless) radio watches I previously owned. These watches would get a single bit error in the time signal, causing them to be wrong by 1 minute, or 1 hour. The last time that happened, I stamped on the watch, much to the bemusement of a British rail guard (I missed the train).

6. LuMan
    Joke

Rare?

There's one just like that in Argos...

7. Andus McCoatover

Gotta say..

It's absolutely, stunningly beautiful. Wow!

(Wish my 150-year old Waltham gold pocket-watch was as good)

8. Nux Vomica

I'm with Dances...

It's an instrument FFS, if you need to influence other peoples judgement with such a bauble, then you both need to grow thumbs.

Never seen so much cock waving go on in a Reg column.............

9. Stephen Byrne
    FAIL

But where's the USB Port?

Pfft, doesn't even have Bluetooth.

Fail.

10. Graham Marsden
    Joke

I hope the buyer...

... wasn't called Sylar...!

11. Craigness
    Happy

Cooool

I've got an Omega with the same blue colour for the chrono hands, with the time hands being rose gold. There was much cooing on the forums at this "innovation" when it was released just a few years ago.

Mine isn't as pretty as this but it's got way more class than a Casio.

12. moonface

£3.76M That's pretty cheap!

I seem to remember seeing on TV a few years back, a Harrison "lesser watch" going for a rather lovely jubbly £6,200,000 at auction.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still time to start

Collecting mobile phones

14. bygjohn
    Troll

Why would you wear a watch these days?

Weird. Haven't worn a watch for more than 15 years, maybe longer. Probably since I got my first Psion Series 3. These days you always have the time on your mobile anyway.

This topic is closed for new posts.