back to article Indo-Mancunian Windows support scammer phones Reg hack

Yesterday I got a call from a chap claiming to be from Windows Support, letting me know that my computer was dangerously infected, and that only he could help. The scam isn't new - we reported on it a year ago - but tough times are driving miscreants to expand operations to the point where even Reg staff are being targeted in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy Barker

My dad had this treatment too

My dad spoke to me a couple of months ago about one of these calls - the guy also hung up on my dad when asked too many pointed questions. However in the process dad was getting pretty upset and confused by the story going round in circles. Dad is pretty sharp for an 81 year old, but these guys are fairly effective at what they do.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You are mistaken my friend.

I live very close to 24 Sawai Lauha in sunny Manchester. You should not be so quick to deny the helpful people at the Windows company. They work very hard every day for you so that your computers can be free of nasty infections. I know Jack and he is a very good man. He works for you in the day and then he can go home to his villa near Manchester beach when he enjoys to support manchester united and city. He loves his home town, as do i.

If Jack was not able to supply the required fix for your computer, please forward to me your home computer details (Your name, address, ISP, IP address, windows password and mothers maiden name). The fix only costs 10 euros so please also provide your banking details for bank of manchester and i will ensure these details are passed to Janhagir when he wakes up.

Thanks to you,

Jack Gallagher, Manchester, Britain.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

fail

The sign says it all really. F'ing numpty. (that being the caller, not the writer btw)

4. Law
    Paris Hilton

hello sir... we are offering providings better than your current providings...

"Jack hung up on me, leaving me woefully unprotected."

:'(

5. lglethal Silver badge
    FAIL

Wow...

How much money can these scammers be making that they can now afford to make long distance international calls to random numbers in the UK in the hope of finding someone stupid enough to trick into doing this?

I mean thats a lot of calls with what, i hope, is a very low percentage takeup. And of those foolish enough to fall for this, are they really the type of people who would even understand how to do internet banking or use a credit card online? Can there really be that much money made out of this?

If so, human stupidity must be more prevalent then even my most cynical guesses would have led me to believe! *shakes head in disbelief*

1. Stone Fox

do a fixed package, unlimited calls worldwide for (I think) somewhere around £9.99 a month.

1. Phil 54

Not to mention

A lot of countries have box packages that include unlimited long distance calls. I can make unlimited free calls to about a hundred different countries (and even some mobiles) from home here in France.

2. Mike 33
      Pirate

Call cost...

gotta remember that calls to UK landlines if done by VoIP which most are can be had for as little as 0.6p/min in the amounts they are using...

Add to this the cost per hour of an Indian worker and it maybe costing £1/hr to attempt to get access to your computer. Once they have access they can potentially snoop your email, files, website logins and anything passing over your network... this (including paypal and similar logins) can be easily worth a few hours of work on their behalf.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Worth a laugh and nothing more...

Let's face it - you weren't taken in and weren't about to be. Can't imagine any sensible person taking it seriously for a moment. As for anyone daft enough to fall for it - just Darwinism in action.

7. druck Silver badge

Re: Wow

"How much money can these scammers be making that they can now afford to make long distance international calls to random numbers in the UK in the hope of finding someone stupid enough to trick into doing this?"

They aren't paying, they work in a call centre and do this as a sideline.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@druck

>> "How much money can these scammers be making that they can now afford to make long

>> distance international calls to random numbers in the UK in the hope of finding someone

>> stupid enough to trick into doing this?"

>>

>> They aren't paying, they work in a call centre and do this as a sideline.

If they were paying, international between India and the UK are very cheap. If he worked in a call centre in India - I imagine his employer (bank/insurer/double glazer) would have provided him with a list of soft targets.

I think that the best response is to pretend that you are elderly (if you aren't) and try to perform all the actions he requests on your microwave - or even better, your windows.

8. PsychicMonkey
    Grenade

hmmmmm

I might set up a virtual machine in case they call....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

funny

Had these phone calls. On the second call I decided to play along and gave them made up details, when these didn't work they wanted to take control of my computer. I started up my virtual xp (I'm a linux user) and allowed them to take control of it, they installed a "security" program that scanned my virtual drive and found loads of problems, all fake as it was a clean install. I scanned the drive afterwards and was surprised to find no viruses or malware present. All told I kept them on the phone for over an hour. I've since had follow up calls from their "supervisors" who are obviously too thick to realise that me giving them false details means I know its a scam.

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
      Stop

Wait, wait, wait...

"I scanned the drive afterwards and was surprised to find no viruses or malware present."

You sure? Because you're just after saying :

"I started up my virtual xp (I'm a linux user) and allowed them to take control of it, they installed a "security" program that scanned my virtual drive and found loads of problems"

Seriously, if they have rooted your windows install, then they have rooted your windows install...

Surely you know better.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

LMAO

Imagine the conversation if they call someone who doesn't have an internet connection, or even a computer.

Scammer : Your computer is badly infected.

Target : Pardon?

Scammer : Your Windows is infected.

Target : Ah. You must be from Everest.

Scammer : Pardon?

Target : I don't think these windows are as good as they reckoned in the TV adverts.

Scammer : I'd like you to open your Windows folder.

Target : I can't. These aren't folding windows, they are just standard UPVC with a single opening panel...

Scammer : *click* >>>>>>> gone!

11. Chaosechoz
    Paris Hilton

Ah Scammers How we love thee

Scamers are what make the world go round. I had one once about 2 years ago some man knocked on my door and ask me if i had a pc in the house which was connected to the internet. Being a helpful person i said yes and the man asked if he could come in to ensure it was secure from outside threats.

I asked the man for his id and then asked for the name and telephone number of his manager. He gave over the id badge i closed the door and rang the number he gave me (from my mobile while voice recording was active) spoke to some nut named andy simmons who confirmed (as if he wouldnt!) the guys identity.

So of course being so worried about all these "threats" the bloke was on about i went back to the door handed him his id back and offered to let him in.

Before he entered however, I told this so called engineer that my dogs (which i did have at the time) where two rottweilers and were extreamly dangerous as they were being trained to work as attack hounds. Subsequently the guy changed his mind and left. Shortly after I called the police gave them the information and a discription and the phone i had made the call on..

Never did find out what happened to the pair of idiots....

Moral of the story... A little forethought saves on expencive and quite often damaging losses.

Paris because: She loved a good scamming!!!!

12. Jasper 1
    Pirate

Must be a new cheap rate package for calls to mobiles

I have had a very polite and persistant chap trying a 419 via phone to my mobile recently. I bounced the first half a dozen calls (the number displayed was overseas and came at somewhat unsocialble hours). Once I did answer he went straight into a "only I could help him unlock millions" story. Sadly cold hearted type I was I cut him off mid flow. Since then he has tried to call several times and has left some heartbreaking text messages for me. Maybe the secret to releasing millions is me allowing him access to my PC. Now if only I can figure out how to block specific inbound calls to my iphone (my lack of technical skill in this department should be obvious from my choice of phone alone).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like