back to article Orange offers 'pay per meg' iPad 3G data plan

Orange has revealed its iPad data plan pricing, including a novel pay-for-what-you-use scheme. The key plan bills data at a rate of five pence per megabyte up to a monthly maximum of £40. That's 800MB. Orange will also offer daily and weekly one-off connectivity. A day's surfing costs £2 and gives you 200MB of data. A week's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm

Liking orange 3g payg on my HTC desire- even if it took three days of the phone monkeys lying to me while I tried to get the SIM activated. Popped into an Orange shop, and a nice bloke did it on the spot, and all working.

They seem to be the most useful for PAYG users who are biased towards data rather than voice right now- coverage is better than with my Mifi on Three, and the pricing is working out well.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmmm

Orange .... (upto) £40/month for (upto) 800Mb

Tmobile (as on my Android phone) ... £20 for 6 months "unlimited" internet (fair usage limit is, I think, 40MB/day).

I think we have a winner

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep

"I think we have a winner"

Undoubtedly we do. That'll be Orange as T-Mobile don't offer the micro-SIM used in the iPad yet.

Or was that one of those slightly pointless "Tariff A on device B is different to tariff X on device Y" type of comparisons?

1. Paul Shirley

too stupid to use a meat cleaver

For some people using a meat cleaver to cut down a normal SIM is just too hard... even with a pictorial guide to use. The rest of us just pay less ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

comparison

its not quite comparing Apples to Oranges though ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Yes, we have a winner

Your mobile allowance is always safe on t-mobile, as the damn coverage is so shocking.

3. lewispb
    FAIL

Unlimited?

750MB on WIFI? Well that should be used up in, I don't know, about 1 hour. Calling that unlimited is completly unfair at best, a blatant lie at worst. I hope Three offer some decent competition here.

1. Puck
      WTF?

@ lewispb

Agreed! 'Unlimited' my eye! I've rarely heard such perverse cobblers emanate from a marketing dept. A fixed monthly package of woe on their limited liability houses!

4. James Cooke

actually interesting to me

If you use this every day the rates aren't great but surely I'm not the only person who uses an internet dongle sporadically and for low volume stuff like checking email and grabbing a few files but only needs to do that once or twice a week?

Current PAYG dongle schemes seem to all be based on buying either on quite large per day costs (£2/day which is a horrific £60/month) or flat out per month costs. Per meg options are definitely welcome here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly

I have a three mifi which is a tenner for a gig- but times out after 30 days.. and I never use more than 100 megs or so in a month. Thus, I am paying more overall than I would with Orange (plus I get better coverage with them, both at home and work, and also certain places that I like to haunt).

5. madferret
    WTF?

What happened to the merger?

Why are they offering BT Openzone wifi when they 'own' T-Mobile hotspots?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Wifi Hotspots

Not 100% sure on this but think Tmobile jumped into bed with Openzone so that openzone users can use tmobile hotspots and vice versa. The fact they quote openzone is prob just because it gives em a larger footprint.

6. jaduncan
    Go

Negotiate hard with T-mobile

I got 300 x-net mins, 300 texts, unlimited landline calls and 3gb a month of data for £5pm (yes, you do need to negotiate hard). SIM only, no phone included. If I had an ipad I'd cut the sim card down and use it in that.

7. Chris Beach
    FAIL

Orange Fail Again

Reading their iPad site, 200Mb/£2 is actually until midnight that day, not 24 hours. So they are misleading, false advertising and overcharging all at the same time.

Knowing Orange its probly because they've had to hack and fudge their billing system again, and it can't cope.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like