back to article Twitter and theregister. Why it doesn't work

A while ago a very nice anonymous reader set up a feed to pump out an all our stories feed at http://twitter.com/theregister. He or she did this without asking us, but hey! This unofficial reregister feed attracted 1,951 followers. Not massive, but we weren't complaining. But then, on December 11, this Twitter stopped feeding …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ha!

And don't bother with twitter support

they're absolutely fskcing useless at this kind of thing

2. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Up

Contact Twitter

Go to Help

Start a new ticket

Find the 'somebody else has my company's name' option

They sorted a pretty much identical problem for me, no questions asked. (It was a twitter account in my company's name, although my company has a pretty generic name; they hadn't used it for six months; twitter turned it over to me)

3. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Up

This should help

Here you go:

http://twitter.zendesk.com/forums/26257/entries/18367

Link to log a ticket at the bottom.

As I said, it worked pretty quickly for me, but twitter has grown a lot since then.

4. Alex McDonald 1
    WTF?

http://twitter.com/ElReg/

http://twitter.com/ElReg/

That not you either?

5. James Dunmore
    Stop

I would rather...

... more of a reg commentary style twitter, rather than a list of articles - I can get the article list on RSS

6. Steve Brigden

That's as maybe....

But who is http://twitter.com/ElReg - cos that's who I follow, and it's where I saw this message....

7. olems

So, uh

Who's http://twitter.com/ElReg then?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Cue barrage of anti-Twitter comments...

... and quite rightly so. Twitter is a massive pile of tiresome ego-wank. I'd have much more respect for the Register if they left it well alone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Spot

on.

That is all.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Just wait

I find that if you ignore these fads long enough - twitter, failbook, mobile phones, hoola hoops, clackers, UKIP - they go away.

1. BenDwire Silver badge
      Happy

Clackers!

That's two of us heading towards the half century then! Can you imagine what the Health & Safety twonks would have to say about them these days.... acrylic shards and all that!

Ah well, thanks for taking me back to more innocent times - I can almost smell the grape bazooka bubble gum!

As for the yoof, you know how to STFW

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not claim the twitter account?

I believe that yo can just contact twitter and ask then to hand over the "theregister" account as it (1) clearly is your trademark, and (2) clearly were setup to feed your content.

Should not be too much drama.

11. AlexS
    Dead Vulture

Here is what you do

Organise a Twitter FLASH MOB.

* Find us a Twitter employee or official Twitter site.

* Write an article showing us the specific user we should twitter and what we should twitter.

* Tell us the EXACT time/date (make sure it works reasonably well across time Zones AND it's likely to be in the receivers time zone).

Then we all obey like sheep - job done.....

This will NOT be a "Denial of Service attack", this will be a "Demand of Service" attack...

12. Robert E A Harvey

I've only Twat twice

A fiend of mine points out that the past participle of 'twit' is probably 'twat'. SInce I was boss-bullied into signing up on Twitter I have preciesely two postings, one of which was to find out what would happen. So I've only twat twice.

13. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Coat

Twitter?

Is this something I should know about?

The one with the R.S.P.B. guide in the pocket.

14. Tom Chiverton 1

Umm

Isn't just posting links to each article a breech of the T+C ?

15. Eeep !
    FAIL

Using Tw*tter proves YOU neither have or are taking the pulse of the moment

Created a Tw*tter account 'cos tw*ts kept asking technical questions about it and asking who I followed. First tw*t produced a follower - nothing the tw*ts had tw**ted had even got a reply !

16. iamapizza
    Happy

Here's an idea

Use ElReg's goddamn RSS feed and stop complaining.

That'll be $5. Thank you.

17. heyrick Silver badge
    WTF?

"You know the right thing to do."

So do you, Reg.

You have a perfectly decent RSS feed for new stories, a website that lists them clearly, and stories that are broken into useful sized pages and include words and thoughts and opinions. Plus a moderatrix.

WTF are you doing touching Twitter in any "official" context? I thought we all aspired to something better than eyeballing a succession of tweets? If this is what it has come down to, I despair. Really I do.

18. Gav H.
    Stop

Twitter

Can't we just leave Twitter to the BBC Technology News brigade?

The website itself, email newsletters and an RSS feed already do the job very nicely :)

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Beggars belief

A respected technical publication usinhg twitter? Next you'll be telling us Gordon Brown has won the election.

20. This post has been deleted by its author

21. Rob
    Stop

Leave the Reg alone...

... you lot complaining about ElReg using twitter have obvioulsy forgotton that theregister is a business and needs to make money, when your a business working on the internet you need to attract more visitors so distrubuting your content on as many channels as possible is usually a good thing, especially when those channels are cost effective. In this case using Twitter is pretty much free bar the minimal admin time of an employee every once in a while.

22. BeefStirFry
    Unhappy

followed you...

starting following the accounts on twitter and they all tweeting the same thing... can't you be specific on which account do what?

23. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

An anonymous nice person?

Maybe they'll notice this article. Maybe they died...

I suppose if you really think they did you a favour, you don't necessarily want to invoke cybersquatting remedies on them. It could have repercussions.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like