back to article Microsoft releases Symbian Communicator

The alliance between Microsoft and Nokia, announced last August, has delivered its first fruit: Microsoft Communicator Mobile. Microsoft had previously made the software available on Java, and now it's here on Symbian. The software gives access to Microsoft's Communication Server, and offers real-time messaging based on IM and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Will Derrrick
    WTF?

Mail For Exchange

"Nokia offered a crude Exchange client for Symbian (Mail for Exchange) for years, but has folded the functionality into Nokia Messaging, a subscription email service based on its $430m Intellisync acquisition in 2005. So you can't get decent Exchange access out of the box, for free."

Nokia still offer Mail for Exchange, it's a free download from the Nokia's store (OviStore), it's still current and has seen updates as recently as February of this year. Feel free to check the Release Notes and Admin Guide on the Nokia website, it's got most of the features down including Folders, Remote Wipe and GAL. The noticeable missing features are 2010 support (but supposedly it works) and server-side search. It's not particularly polished and it's not up to WinMo standards, but it's perfectly usable, even on the E71. While not "out of the box" per se, it's pretty damn close considering you open OviStore and download it for free direct to the handset...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Mail for Exchange

I use Mail for Exchange and it is a pretty darn good email client, and it actually with my phone (E55). Me thinks El Reg need to do a bit of research before spouting such nonsense.

1. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Mail for Exchange

So you don't need HTML email? Or multiple access points? Quite a few people do.

But thanks for sharing.

1. The Original Steve
        Stop

RE: Andrew

Um, think you need to check your facts before putting people down...

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/nokia-for-business/messaging

HTML email is supported, I have multiple access points on my E72, can create / accept / decline meetings, folder support, Exchange 2010 supported, set out of office from the handset....

Any more bullshit you care to flow from your articles into the comments?

But thanks for sharing.

3. Individual #6/42
    FAIL

Again

Mail for Exchange is the way that Google suggest synchronising gmail calendars with Symbian Series 60 devices liike my E61i. It's free and works.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I read that as...

... 'Meh for Exchange'.

Actually I was right.

5. Carlos.
    WTF?

Nokia Messaging not free?

"Nokia Messaging, a subscription email service based on its $430m Intellisync acquisition in 2005. So you can't get decent Exchange access out of the box, for free."

Blimey, maybe someone should tell Nokia their email service isn't free, because I, and many other Nokia users I know are using Nokia Messaging for no cost, which, last time I checked, was the same as "free"?

6. Watashi

Nokia hate

Why does El Reg have such an anti-Nokia bias? Is it because Nokia is European while all El Reg journalists live in the US these days?

Mail for Exchange may be basic, but it actually does some stuff you can't do with iPhone's native Exchange email program, such as set seperate Peak and Off-Peak times so you can get continuous push email during working hours, but only get new emails once evey hour (or not at all) during non-working hours. You can also sync Outlook tasks, which you can't with the iPhone. Oh, and when you reply to an email on the Nokia phone, it actually shows up as such in Outlook. In fact, I'd say the extra stuff it does do is more useful than the extra stuff iPhone's more sophisticated client does. After all, how many of us need to manage our email folders through our phone?

As for Blackberry, you don't have to configure the Exchange server specifically for Nokia's Mail for Exchange, which you do with Blackberry (at an aditional cost).

7. David Beck
    FAIL

Does Andrew Orlowski do any research before writing an article?

Given that this article was ostensibly about products available to integrate Nokia and MS, a fairly limited brief, why does it have so many errors. I hope it's incompetence as the other alternative is Andrew is a shill and El Reg need to act. Why don't we ask Andrew where he got his (mis)information?

As a new Nokia E52 user I can attest to the accuracy of the commentors regarding errors in Andrew's article. I did the research before buying the E52 and clearly El Reg would have not helped at all in this, good thing I take the articles here with a large pinch of salt.

8. Bonnie
    Thumb Down

One step forward and two steps back

Why doesn't the lack of VoIP support surprise me? The Eseries' Symbian S60 3.X is nearing end-of-life and the successor, Symbian^3, ditches integrated VoIP support. Symbian^4 reportedly reintroduces it again, but it's going to be a long wait. Eternity, perhaps?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like