back to article Facebook bug allowed users to eavesdrop on chats

Facebook engineers on Wednesday disabled the site's live chat function after people outside the company discovered a bug that allowed users to eavesdrop on their friends' conversations. The site - whose founder insists "people have really gotten comfortable sharing more information" with world+dog - also had to take emergency …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

The bored eavesdrop on the boring

Oh well.

2. Markius
    FAIL

oh...

my... god!

We're gonna need a bigger FAIL icon.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

does this explain

why spammers have been turning up in peoples friends list without there ever being a friend request or is that another unpatched bug?

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Epic

Fail

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It would be nice

If Facebook published the number of it's "400m" users who actively visit the site rather than passively to respond to PMs or purely as a way to play flash games.

Gotta be in the low millions.

While we're at it, when the news talks about x number of people being in a Facebook group, can it subtract from that number a suitable percentage to represent the people who only joined because they indiscriminately join every group? Perhaps FB should publish number of people who have posted to the group more than once. That would slash numbers by 90% or more.

1. PirateSlayer
      Stop

Surely...

...accessing the site with your login and username is "actively" using it.

Just because you don't use the chat functions doesn't mean you are a passive user by any stretch.

If you are responding to PMs, that also means you actively add friends which means you would have potentially been exploited on the other bug!

2. Markius
      Go

active users

I think you'd be surprised how many users there really are.

It's election day in the UK today and as a result Facebook have put a link on every UK user's home page that allows the user to indicate that they have voted. Attached to this link is a counter. It's 2035L, polls opened at 0700L. The counter currently stands at 1,465,758.

That's nearly 1.5 million unique users in 1 day, in 1 country, _minimum_!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

as much a pain apples app store is at least its not filled with scam apps like facebook

@Ac above, that's probably because they install crappy applications and give them full permissions to spam their friends and automaticly post comments to their wall etc.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Attitude goes right to the top

When the CEO of the company declares that privacy is dead, it's not surprising when his programmers err on the side of disclosure time and time again.

8. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    WTF?

This is a problem?

I thought FB was into all this transparent Web 2.0, "you have no secrets in the Brave New World", type of cack?

9. William 11
    Megaphone

remember meeeee

the remember me thing is also bad.. if you tick remember me on pc 1... log in... then later on.. change your password on pc2.. pc1 still logs you in.. whats the use of changing passwords?

friend just been through this... her ex is stalking her on fb and she cant get rid of him without closing her account. he has a pc somewhere with remember me ticked

1. PirateSlayer
      Stop

Realllly?

I find this very unlikely. I have remember me ticked on a number of computers and when I changed my password, it obviously didn't update the cookie on the other machines...therefore logging in on the other machine = wrong password error.

Are you sure your friend doesn't just use really simple passwords and/or crackable passwords?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Facebook uber fail

Facebook should be put down like a rabid dog.

It is meant for stupid, gullible people that totally lack common sense.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Twitter just as bad...

I am a spacebook user...or is that myface, they both reek, tho fb has been my most recent...

HOWEVER

tweets are twits and should be nuked 24 times, and then nuked once more for good measure, it's AOL s'kiddies all over again...sheesh, isn't one enough?

end of rant. like pc and mac, fb and twit should learn ta just get along, or both just go away. I'm sick of the beta vs vhs war all over again.

I read on a bathroom wall: "In the eyes of history, we are ALL WRONG."

11. MayarO
    Unhappy

Video is gone :(

went to watch the video, it got removed...how rude!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like