back to article US data-collection bill gets chilly reception

A proposed US congressional bill to regulate the collection of personal data is being almost universally panned, with privacy advocates arguing it's inadequate and pro-business groups saying it goes too far. The draft legislation (PDF) would for the first time impose national standards on how companies collect IP addresses, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Big Brother

If and when ...

This Bill puts the cart before the horse.

There is a natural distinction between:

1) Data collected by Government in anticipation of security needs, never to be disclosed, and

2) Data collected by Government for operational purposes to provide Public Services, and disclosed as statistics.

There is no such distinction for extra-Government data collection. Yes, I mean Google, Facebook, et al..

Until a voluntary, coherent policy (a rigid Social Contract) comes forth from the Service Provider parts of Government not to disclose individual information on the citizens, the model by default will be the same as data collection by extra-Government entities.

Otherwise, Big Brother will perish with the outsourcing of the Fall of the (Roman, etc.) Empire ("Run the Government just like a Business") and a Dark Ages of no privacy with an unending harassment by predators (Yes, I mean Google, Facebook, et al..) in search of resources (that would be us) is sure to follow.

If you ask me, we need Big Brother to get his fat ass off the couch and help with this one.

2. heyrick Silver badge

I've not read the PDF, but...

Legislation could apply to "websites" regarding collection of IP addresses, history, etc...

They are, I hope, aware of the contents of the basic apache (etc) log?

1. I didn't do IT.
      Unhappy

Re: Basic Log

Which you would be likely inclined to TURN OFF, due to the liability and targeting you receive from Uncle Sam as he uses you to go on fishing expeditions for pirates, terros, pedos, etc. You hve nothing better to do then to collate all that data for him, right? Its not like you have a business to run or anything...

"Thank you very much," He says as he skips out before you can give him the bill; pretty sure he already passed that law that you eat all the costs. "Don't forget to pay your taxes, now," as he drives off out of sight... until the next time...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Madness

What is this new urge to pass any bill that purports to do something without thinking it through?

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

AC:04:52

"What is this new urge to pass any bill that purports to do something without thinking it through?"

I think they may have been on a fact finding visit to see how the British government operates.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

fact finding

The US gubment isn't quite as messed up as the British government, but it is getting close on the stupidity angle.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EU working group papers

clearly many US readers have not read any of the EU working group papers etc on personal data rights.

http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/fsj/privacy/workinggroup/wpdocs/2010_en.htm

and check out the 2009 stuff to.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like