back to article Microsoft's Cambridge boffins to up sticks in 2012

Microsoft's UK research arm in Cambridge, England is moving home after more than 10 years occupying the Roger Needham Building on J J Thomson Ave. The company is transferring its 150 lab boffins - and up to 90 interns during the busy summer months - to Station Road in 2012 when the firm's current lease will be up. Microsoft …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

I wonder what they do there?

With MS record in innovation are these boffins all historians?

2. Lab Monkey

further away?

The station is closer to the academic area of Cambridge, its further from the private science park.

As long as they still give free tours and demos during the science festival all will be good.

1. Martin McNulty

Yes, but...

Possibly, but the currently building is literally next door to the University's Computer Science department. "Private science park", you say?

2. David Ward 1

Yep further away!

Where they are now, they literally couldn't get much closer to computer science (in the William Gates Building across the road) Maths, Physics and electrical engineering, so which academic departments were you thinking of them being closer to in town?

Isn't the private science park in Milton? or were you thinking of the one on Newmarket road, both of which are closer to town than they are to the west Cambridge site IMO.

1. Lab Monkey
        FAIL

fair play

Fair play, I am a biochemist so my experience of other departments is limited.

3. mfraz

Not far enough

Move them all back to the states and leave us alone. We don't want any Microsoft **** here.

4. demat
    Pint

Further away?

it's also closer to the pubs and curry houses thus increasing the probability of interacting with a local academic.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Great

more traffic in to the heart of Cambridge. Let's hope most of them take the train.

6. Spiracle

The CB1 dev in Cambridge has had a long and troubled history

The developers are likely to have made MS a *very* attractive offer.

I believe that 90 of the staff are being housed in the new dev. That and the fact that there's very little car parking in the scheme should mean that traffic levels shouldn't increase too much from their current (abysmal) levels.

7. Geoff 25
    Pint

Who gives a fig

Cambridge beer festival at the end of the month... I shall be flying in specially. Who cares where the Microsoft office is?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Not all idiots, you know

They don't turn into idiots just because they now work for Microsoft (though, cleverly on MS's part, they probably aren't motivated to comment on the usefulness or otherwise of MS products).

For example, Prof C.A.R. Hoare (of Communicating Sequential Processes fame) is One Of Them. There are some other famous ones too, but research.microsoft.com website is currently unresponsive (IIS?), and Tony Hoare's name is all I can remember.

Icon: Nothing to do with grammar, just to do with dreaming spires and all that.

9. Tom Cooke

Cambridge railway station

... is, if I remember rightly, slap bang next to the local dog food factory (I'm not kidding, look it up on Street View). A fitting location for them, I feel.

1. mccp

Ex-dog food factory

Now demolished, to make space for a new office development. Which is presumable where MS are going.

10. pobicus
    Thumb Down

Did you miss off Prof. Blake's title

Andrew Blake aka Prof Blake according to http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/ablake/

11. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

The real reason ...

... for choosing the CB1 location is that it's within reasonable walking distance of Andrew Herbert's house.

This topic is closed for new posts.