back to article Microsoft's social lab does 'the impossible'

Microsoft has unveiled an experimental online service that pools "social" content from various and sundry online sources, including Facebook, Twitter, RSS feeds, and Redmond's own Bing search engine. Developed by Microsoft's Future Social Experiences (FUSE) Labs - the research outfit launched by Ray Ozzie last fall - the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Ehh??

Isn't that what Power offer? Or am I missing something? Or are MS just behind the curve again?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

yes but

yes but power aren't friends with facebook and so are being sued for being criminals.

microsoft have lots of money, so when they do it facebook says it's fine.

2. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge

Polly shouldn't be!

This is sort of like taking chunks of Wave, Buzz and Outlook, and cramming them all into some hybrid meta-contacts-folder-of-doom.

I do not want to administrate this; too many third party connections. To many ways this could break.

3. rbryanh

OMG

Ohmigod! That is soooo targeting the most aggressively inarticulate generation the world has seen since, like... forever? I mean, you can just totally tell how cool Lili is by the way she says "they're always talking about stuff I don't know what they're talking about"?

I'm soooo going to friend her first, you bitches!!!!

1. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge
      Unhappy

re:OMG

I died a little, reading that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Don't worry

It's fake. That's waaay more than 140 characters.

4. Ian Ferguson
    Grenade

Amazing!

Sounds like the perfect service, for advertisers!

These innovations are slowly but inevitably taking me closer to deleting my Facebook account (if I can figure out how).

5. Ad Fundum
    FAIL

Talk about ignoring the facts

"Most people aren't really that interested what everybody else thinks, what's trending on Twitter." - so they say.

Twitter is approaching 60 million users - in other words, almost the population of the UK. So okay, statistically speaking that's 60 million people out of 6 billion on the planet, but 60 million is a hell of a lot of people to ignore when you say "Most people aren't really that interested ... what's trending on Twitter."

Typical arrogance on their part.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

so what

I don't much care what the 60 million people in the UK think, so why should I care what 60 million people worldwide think. Besides, isn't 60 million all the accounts ever opened? How many of them are active?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

igoogle?

I'm sure I've seen this before.

1. mfraz

Yep, so much for MS innovation

I'm sure I've seen this too and it is called Netvibes http://www.netvibes.com/

7. Goat Jam
    Troll

erm

One wonders whether Zuckerberg is gonna throw a lawsuit at their Redmondian sugar daddy like they did to Power?

8. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Pint

Mancunians are ace

Couldn't make head nor tail of the article so it must be good.

I think it means we all get digital assistants who decide what's important for us on the interweb. Great, just add the function to get the agent to comment on the important items and keep the other agents happy.

@Ad Fundum - what toss. Lilli is right: we don't care about most people think about things in general unless it suits us.

9. SlabMan

Wonderful idea

I'm all for aggregating the entire social web. Then I can ignore it all in one place.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Another Microsoft "innovation"?

Yep, as per usual, many other people have beaten them to it.

I've been aggregating/munging my feeds together using freely available software for at least a year. None of the one's I've tried are ideal for me, but they're mostly better than having 5 clients open at the same time, and they all do more than MS are bleating about. Just go look for yoonoo, digsby, gwibber and so on. All of them support a wider range of feeds than the MS offerring.

It's not that I'm an MS hater, or that I don't rate their application, it might be better than all the others put together.

But they're liars in claiming any form of innovation here.

11. Magnus_Pym

Could be quite good...

... if it could filter out all the shit that people say but don't think and gobbed out the infinitesimally tiny nugget of important stuff which is what people think but don't say.

Otherwise it is just aggregating the shit in the manner of a sewerage works.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like