back to article Google tutorial lets developers play malicious hacker

Google has released a free online tutorial that gives developers the chance to play the role of malicious hacker by exploiting real security bugs in a mock web application. The codelab is premised on a "small, cheesy web application" dubbed Jarlsberg that is chock-full of bugs that can be exploited to take down webservers, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adrian Esdaile
    Alert

Anyone smell the honey?

A PDF users guide? Come one, we aren't going to fall for that!

Open PDF - BINGO! pwned again by Adobe security FAIL!

Why no Eeeeevil Google icon, BTW?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Computer misuse act anyone?

This sounds to me like Google distributing hacking tools.

Isn't the British legal system great....

(for those of you not seeing how great it is, look back a few days for the post about the chap jailed for not giving up his encryption passwords)

1. Ammaross Danan

Title

I'm sure the misue act allows for "educational purposes," which is what most exploit code, etc is released as. This is simply an educational tool to help classes with known exploit vectors in a piece of dodgy software.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Linux

brahh

You can legally "hack" a system if you have permission.

I don't really need Google to provide such a system most of the time. You find this type of thing. Even on BANK websites!

3. mhenriday

Is the developer behind this tutorial

by chance a Norwegian ?...

Henri

4. Mike Moyle

What... Passing up the obvious joke...? Who are you and what have you done with El Reg?!!?

"The codelab is premised on a 'small, cheesy web application' dubbed Jarlsberg that is chock-full of bugs that can be exploited..." ...full of holes, rather than bugs, surely...!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like