back to article Craigslist subpoenaed over thriving adult services ads

Already under fire for its thriving Adult Services section, Craigslist on Monday was subpoenaed by Connecticut's top law enforcement official, who is investigating whether the site is doing enough to get rid of ads for prostitution and other illegal activity. The demand came from Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Coincidence?

This guy Blumenthal is running for the Senate to replace Christopher Dodd. Great way to promote yourself a****pe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Blumenthal

"The craigslist brothel business seems booming - belying its promise to fight prostitution" - Congress is the biggest brothel with the lobbyists pimping the Congressmen/Senators to the special interests.

2. Lance 3

Not a fan but....

Not a fan of Craigslist but give me a break. Why not investigate city planners? I'm sure there are street hookers out there. Take the corner and streets away and then it is harder for them to set-up shop. Face it, there is more than just Craigslist out there.

Next thing you know, they will be talking about the car sale loophole and want only licensed people selling cars; even your own used car.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

Re: Licensing

Licensing has been the way to stop people from doing something since the late 1800's.

Coupled with our brow-beaten, ingrained slavishness to "experts", we have finally achieved a system where people not only aren't allowed to think for themselves, but don't want to! WIN!

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/index.htm

3. Murphy's Lawyer redux
    Go

Techdirt's take on the story

"Attorneys [sic] General Upset That Craigslist Is Profiting From Procedure He Forced Craigslist To Put In Place"

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100426/1609299179.shtml

The money quote for me is: "I believe Craigslist acted irresponsibly when it unilaterally decided to keep the profits from these posts,"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Yes

Reading the quotes it does seem that the guy's main objection is that "business is booming" rather than any other issue.

4. Phil Koenig

Fishy - newspapers behind it?

If you look at the craigslist blog for April, and see all the distortions printed by the New York Times about craigslist, I really begin to wonder if it isn't the newspaper industry that is at least partly behind this smearing campaign against craigslist. Because we know that craigslist has cost the newspaper industry a fair amount of money in classified advertising revenue over the last few years.

Someone at Baylor posted a comment on the blog that their study of CL's switch from "erotic services" to "adult services" (as compelled by the marauding AG's like Blumenthal) revealed that the change actually only had a temporary effect on CL's "erotic" posting volume (posters eventually found ways to code their messages in different ways), but prior to the resurgence in posts on CL, it resulted in a huge up-tick in business for other "adult services" advertising vehicles beyond craigslist. (ie the Village Voice's "back page", which is actually home to much more blatant prostitution advertising than CL nowadays)

http://business.baylor.edu/scott_cunningham/research_files/SFS_1207c.pdf

Apparently now many crusaders are trying to get them to shut down ALL personals ads entirely.

Well I think the following blog comment there pretty much sums it up:

++++++++++++++++++++++

I am boycotting Craigslist for their role in this. I am boycotting San Francisco, for hosting Craigslist, California for funding San Francisco and America for being funded by San Francisco. I am boycotting The Internet for carrying your evil-laden messages.

So long!

++++++++++++++++++++++

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Ah, same ol' same ol'

America still living in the medieval times, eh?

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

They want to shut it down? Why?

FFS, craigslist has just given these arsehats their Holy Fucking Grail. A demonstrable link between prostitution and terrorism. Tarts punt on craigslist, terrorists buy cars on craigslist - QED: craigslist is the oft suspected and long-sought secret mechanism by which the proceeds of prostitution are used to aid terrorism.

S'obvious, innit?

I just find it difficult to believe that the tabloid press hasn't joined the dots here yet. Don't tell me the Yank press requires something of actual substance to splash a scare story over?

1. I didn't do IT.
      Alert

Re: Prostitution and Terrorism

No, we can't have that linked up. Remember, the US has a law that JAILS people (before the trial) for contributing money to terrorist organizations and/or buying or selling services or material with such organizations.

So, if prostitution supports terrorism, all of our politicians would have to go to jail for supporting terrorism...

Can't that that, dontcha know.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?

"...craigslist is the oft suspected and long-sought secret mechanism by which the proceeds of prostitution are used to aid terrorism..."

Funny - I always thought that was Congress...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

government hates cash, newspapers hate craigslist

two great evils that are evil greatness together. Government wants more control and the Media finds a way to provide it-especially when it's that pesky upstart "intarweb" that can be thrown under the bus.

who gives a f**k about the "military industrial complex" when the "political media complex" controls the thought and attitudes that do the enabling of the first?

9. David 45

Legal or not?

Read elsewhere that Craigslist is not actually doing anything illegal, so why should they have to bow to all this pressure? Is it yet anther case of someone trying to make up new "laws" as they go along to suit themselves and trying to make a name for themselves?

10. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Hypocritical

The odd things is, these people that thing craigslist should censor it's listings (note, it should not!), do not have ANY expectation of newspapers doing that! Nope, no ads for "massages" and such in those newspapers!

This topic is closed for new posts.