back to article Nokia puts out platform-slutty Qt SDK beta

Nokia has released a beta version of its Qt SDK, allowing developers to create applications that will compile down for Symbian, Maemo and even MeeGo. Qt is Nokia's preferred development platform, and will become the primary Symbian platform come Symbian ^4. For the moment it allows developers to create applications, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Greg J Preece

BONZA!

Between this and the recent MeeGo release for the N900, that's me set. Time for some coding!

2. PhonicUK
    FAIL

Shame we can't really use it properly...

They've released this, but for Maemo on the N900 you can only use the compiled binaries on PR 1.2...

Which they haven't released yet.

Maybe next time they'll release an update I can actually use. The simulator is no good for anything but basic Qt apps.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Happy

Sounds good

But I'll wait for a non-beta. As Nokia doesn't pay me.

I looked at QT before and Symbian development before. Now if the confluence is as easy as VB6, we'll be flying it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Also...

Having developed with Qt for many years (since Qt 2, and now we're on Qt 4, despite the narrative of 'beta' being used), I find it highly polished and enjoyable to work with. I've often sulked over the lack of Qt development capability for the iPhone and Android operating systems, but I doubt that's going to change.

As it's not mentioned here, I will add, Qt is an excellent C++ toolkit for developing Apple Mac OS X, Linux (embedded and desktop), and Microsoft Windows (embedded, desktop, and CE) applications, and now supports Symbian (S60), and MeeGo (thanks to Nokia's acquisition of Trolltech).

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Qt on android

Opensource sdk on opensource OS ? No problem - http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4167

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like