back to article Software makers fall in behind Lucid Lynx

Thursday is D-Day - meaning Download Day - for the new Ubuntu 10.04 Long Term Support release from commercial Linux distributor Canonical. And this release is shaping up to be a watershed event for the upstart distro. That's true not only on the desktop and on the server, but among the software development community that wants …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Looking good so far...

I've been using Lucid on my primary laptop for the last three weeks - and it's _good_. None of the beta issues you'd expect. WAY more solid than Karmic on release - and, tbh, for a month or two after release...

2. SynnerCal
    Jobs Horns

Maybe Shuttleworth is right

Good article, but the point about the Ubuntu Software Centre got me thinking - allowing it to divert (slightly?) into an iTunes Music Store clone might not be a bad idea. I'm guessing that the USC would be the opposite of ITMS in that the latter has mainly paid-for content, whereas USC would be mainly free content.

I'm thinking that most people would probably welcome an "easier" way to buy closed-source software for Ubuntu - heck it might even act as a catalyst to get more apps out. After all, people seem to like ITMS, so a version without the stalinist actvities of Apple and more "open" as a result has to be good - right? And I'm guessing that vendors would also like a quick/easy/cheap way of getting their code out there.

Interesting times beckon.

3. Tom Chiverton 1

Sigh

So their shipping with a nasty KDE4.4 regression and a information disclosure problem with the screen saver then (when a machine un-hibernates, you can see the screen before the screensaver starts) ? Charming...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase-workspace/+bug/553557 for the KDE4.4 power problems, for instance. Vote please :-)

1. handle

Minor complaint

Yes but that's KDE - Gnome is the official desktop. Consider how many other operating systems give you a choice of completely different desktop environments before you use it as a reason to slag off Ubuntu.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Speed?

Here's the problem, though, certainly with the Betas and the RC - Log in to working desktop on 9.10, on my computer: 5 seconds. On 10.04: 32 seconds. Unless something is done about that, I for one will stayt with 9.10

5. Michael Fremlins

AIX, HP-UX, and Solaris

These are all serious operating systems, and they are supported on serious hardware.

Anyway, I thought the supposed "target" for Linux (GNU/Linux - shut up Stallman) was Windows. Ubuntu is not going to get me to shift off Solaris for things I run on Solaris.

6. alex dekker 1

Bye bye QA

"...allow developers to quickly create and distribute applications to Ubuntu users without having to go through the same tedious beta and release candidate cycle of the operating system itself."

I hope these untested applications will be clearly marked out to potential users before they install them.

7. elderlybloke
    Pint

I have great hopes

as according to the reviews and views I have read, it is really a very good release.

Paid a few dollars (NZ) to a local supplier earlier today.

A few days from now I hope to have the best of all of the ones I have had in the past 3 years.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

LTS

They are not keeping up with their LTS promises.

How can they change the windows buttons one months before release?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like