back to article Marmite sends in the lawyers against BNP

The maker of Marmite has launched legal action against the British National Party for using the brand in an election video. Global omnicorp Unilever was unimpressed by a YouTube clip that prominently featured a jar of its celebrated yeast extract alongside a standard loony tirade by BNP leader Nick Griffin. The firm today …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Marmite

Vile zionist global corporation UNILEVER should sort their own house out.

1. Richard 81
      Flame

Wow!

We've got ourselves a nasty one here.

1. LuMan
        Stop

True

Yep, you said it. Get that man a jar of chill and quick about it!!

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Megaphone

Please don't

feed the troll

2. John G Imrie

Hate Party

So Griffin will be the leader of the Hate Party then.

Me .. I'm after some free Love :-)

3. Daniel 1

They should hve told Griffin to shove it up his arse

But they're clearly not into that sort of product placement.

1. Disco-Legend-Zeke

Only...

...Preparation H makes that suggestion.

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Thumb Up

luckily it is not my own keyboard

brilliant

4. blackworx
    Megaphone

Say What You Like About Nick Griffin

He knows how to get publicity for himself and his shower of shitebags.

1. Jerome 0

Public relations

Which is lucky for him, since he can't find a P.R. guy who doesn't want to kill him.

2. Ian Stephenson
      Thumb Down

Funnily enough...

There is nothing I like about Nick Griffin

1. blackworx
        Pint

Re: Funnily enough

Just to clarify, Ian - I don't actually admire him for it. To me it's only yet more evidence of the fact that there is no depth to which he will not stoop to get publicity for himself and his shoddy little party.

1. Ian Stephenson
          Pint

Re: Re: Funnily enough

I guessed that, just your title was too much of a gift to let go past without a cheap joke.

Sorry if it seemed a dig at you.

<Have one of these

3. Hollerith 1

Agreed -- that's what these sort of people are good at

When it comes to your basic fascists, racists, etc., you couldn't ask for easier 'branding' and publicity, because simple thoughts can be expressed simply (every advertiser's dream) and because, lacking any morality or ethics, they are free to say anything and do anything they want to. The joy of being 100% certain you are right, you are special, and that you are exceptional, is that you believe the rules don't apply to you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Big Brother

Hey don't stop there

lets also mention the moronic ultra PC - ridden, commie loonie left - they are just as bad, if not worse offering us seemingly good things such as polictical correctness, which is just a form of bully -boy censorship of the way people express themselves. Orwell was right only a little early in his predictions. AC cause I am liberal and love all this Left / Right mud slinging

2. Bob. Hitchen
        Jobs Horns

Target rich environment

Oh I thought you were talking about MP's!

5. andyb 2
    Joke

There has to be....

There has to be a yeast extract / BNP / Nick Griffin joke in there somewhere :)

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

As in

He did not evolve beyond yeast?

6. Shaun 1

Difference

"Very upset at our using Marmite in our TV broadcast. They should have thought of that before modelling the one for their Hate Party on us."

They didn't prominently display a jar of BNP in their ads though.

Maybe if they'd implied Marmite using some generic yeast based spread it would be a different matter

7. Rod MacLean

Hate party.

I really hate Marmite.

Having said that, I'd glady eat my way through a truckful of it if I could only kick Nick Griffin in the stones, just once.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Fascist thugs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unilever

Unilever, quite a bunch of Corporate thugs and gangsters.

Why are Unilver getting involved with politics?

1. heyrick Silver badge

Unilever getting involved with politics

It is well known that Marmite (icky icky stuff, WTF is it really?) is either loved or hated. This had led to spoof "Love Party" and "Hate Party" adverts.

I don't see Marmite/Unilever so much getting involved with politics as taking the p*** out if it. Which, let's face it, is more interesting than most political manifesto broadcasts.

9. LinkOfHyrule
    FAIL

BNP = scum

Marmite sues (or applies for an injunction) against the BNP - who'd of thought that would of ever happened! Such a ridiculous joke like story befitting of the joke that is the BNP. And when I say "joke like" I mean the sort of vile nasty joke that Bernard Manning would make.

Hey BNP, here's a slogan for ya -

BNP - you either hate us or you f***ing hate us.

Tosspots

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Say what you like...

Say what you like about Griffin, at least he knows it's "should have" not "should of".

2. The First Dave

@LinkOfHyrule

Well done, very mature; great way to hold the moral high-ground.

3. Naughtyhorse
      Pint

[ctrl]P

pint (metaphorical) spilled.

top comment

10. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Probably

The only group of people who happily embrace the Streisand Effect

11. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge

BNP unlikely to like it...

It is dark brown after all.

12. John Dougald McCallum

Shitebags?

What have you got against shitebags? They are useful they are.Excelant fertiliser.Or is that bags of shite.

13. John Foster 2
    Paris Hilton

BNP=Hate

I don't recall the Marmite ads mentioning the BNP, they were quite clever topical pieces I thought.

Clearly the BNP does stand for hate:

"They should have thought of that before modelling the one for their Hate Party on us"

implies admission of the fact from where I'm standing

Paris, because well... because of the Marmite jar that says "Squeeze me"

14. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

The Wind of Change in the BNP

At last, they've tried to recruit a black member...

1. Jonathan Richards 1
      Grenade

Griffin can have a black member any time

Try slamming it in the door.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More Marmite for everyone.

Felt compelled to buy one and leave it on the train. Best advertising the BNP could ever have hoped for. See an abandoned marmite jar @ 0.99p & get the message. Pay for a hoarding, £1000's ignored.

I love marmite.

16. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

UNILever + BNP = Seem's like a perfect pairing to me........

According to The Daily Telegraph, Hindustan Unilever, an Indian company that is majority owned by Unilever, was forced to withdraw television advertisements for its women's skin-lightening cream, Fair and Lovely. Advertisements depicted depressed, dark-skinned women, who had been ignored by employers and men, suddenly finding new boyfriends and glamorous careers after the cream had lightened their skin

Found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unilever

1. blackworx

Not so black and white

The thing is, in India darker skin is associated with lower castes and the lightest, almost caucasian skin with high caste Brahmins. As most people know, extreme inequalities exist between castes. Whether or not that state of affairs is acceptable is neither here nor there when deciding if that puts Unilever on a par with the BNP. The advert in question was probably quite an accurate - if exaggerated - representation of the social effects the use of skin lightening products (along with a healthy dose of lying about your background) can have in India. One could even argue that products like that, despite playing along to and perpetuating centuries-old prejudices abhorrent to our western sensibilities, have a net beneficial effect for their target market - i.e. dark-skinned low-caste women who want to improve their lot in life.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's not so cut and dried as Unilever saying "light skin good, dark skin bad" which is what we all *know* Nick Griffin believes but will never say in public.

17. Elmer Phud
    Alien

Either you hate us or . . .

. . . just fucking despise us.

Either one will do.

Alien - it's coming through immigration right now and is moving in next door to Griffin

18. Spleen
    Thumb Up

WOLLT IHR DEN TOTALEN SPREADEN

My favourite kind of political clash - one involving two sides both of which I oppose, and would like to see cancel each other out in a sort of matter/antimatter reaction.

19. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

"On his Facebook page"

Facebook.

Say no more.

The guys a complete ding-bat

20. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

BNP & Marmite

Bitter things you get by scraping the bottom of the barrel.

21. Dave Bell

Remember their Spitfire?

The BNP does seem to have an unfortunate habit of being reckless with other peoples' copyrights.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

bnp: boneheaded neanderthal plagiarists

indeed. the estate of a herr a. hitler in germany is unhappy that the bnp manifesto was stolen from their copyright material. again.

22. Dick Emery
    Grenade

BNP on toast?

Mines the one with the char grilled buttie.

23. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Stop

Bastards...

I was just about to go to bed, and now I have a craving for MARMITE, and we're all out of the stuff. And we're miles away from any Tescos. Thousands of miles.

Thank you very much, El Reg.

The locals here claim something called vegmite (or some such) is far superior, but do note this comes from folk who eat timtams and lamingtons.

Help.

I WANT SOME MARMITE!!!!

24. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Actually

Well actually they are the ones who do not lie. They say what they mean. init

No hiding anything.

25. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Say what you like about Griffin

Finished yet?

Thank you

(tips hat to Tom Holt)

26. Max_Normal

I neither particularly like or hate marmite, so that's busted so far as I'm concerned.

I hate Nick Griffin though. How about peanut butter?

This topic is closed for new posts.