back to article Microsoft tests Facebook Office docs against Google

Facebook has become a new front end to Office 2010 and Microsoft's latest shot back at Google's free and hosted Docs suite. The company has unveiled a beta of something called simply Docs that for the first time will let Facebookers create and share documents authored in Office 2010. Docs is based on Office Web apps, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John F***ing Stepp

It is possible to get rid of Outlook express.

Just damn hard.

I wrote a script to do that and.

Yep, screwed up. Screwed up really bad.

Whatever (my favorite word.)

Get that sc*msucker off of your hard drive and you probably don't have to deal with 90% of the viri out there.

Basically, you are dealing with a vampire and all of the vampire sh*t applies.

Cut off the head.

get in to the registry and turn a lot of Outlook off.

Use Garlic.

You have to stick something in startup, it has to . . .

Check back often.

Outlook can arise from the grave.

2. frankieh

a web browser?

Is it any web browser or just Microsoft's web browser? Knowing Microsoft's love of lock in.. I'd suggest if it isn't' IE only, they'll have somehow crippled the non IE versions claiming they are just not capable of the rich experience as IE.

It's funny, nobody else has any trouble writing rich AJAX web apps that are cross browser compatible, but Microsoft just can't seem to do it. Makes you wonder if the reason for it is either bad web developers (unlikely) or that they are trying to force IE on people.

We have huge troubles at work with exchange web access and sharepoint simply because Microsoft seems to feel obligated to try to use them to leverage IE rather than using open web standards like everyone else.

1. Daren Nestor
      Gates Halo

well...

"It's funny, nobody else has any trouble writing rich AJAX web apps"

Incorrect, everyone has trouble with them. It's IE's fault, though (or, I suppose, everyone else's for not following the MS standard :) )

2. Atli
      Gates Horns

@frankieh

Well, if we are going to believe what M$ has been saying recently, their stuff should follow the standards and be x-browser compatible.

... then again, this is M$ we are talking about. They can't even follow their own standards. (Talking about the Office Open Formats they pushed so hard to get accepted, yet failed to implement.)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Secure?

That's quite an achievement, linking the most virus prone software to the network which has no interest in privacy whatsoever. The only thing more risky to your information is to hand it to UK government to leave it on public transport..

You might as well just publish it on a web page.

Oh, wait ..

4. Code Monkey

My docs and Facebook's privacy policy

You have got to be joking! The worst of all cloudy worlds

1. g e

Absolutely

Farcebook want to say they own (and presumably sell and profit from) your docs now.

Abso-fecking-lutely NOT.

Jesus what a hellspawned concept.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FUSE?

M$ i think that is already in use...

6. Atli
    Gates Horns

Extremely sceptical.

Am I the only one that gets a shiver down my spine at the thought of my documents in the hands of Facebook and Microsoft? Not saying that handing them over to Google is necessarily ideal, but it feels a whole lot better... at the moment.

Just seeing my face pop down on the page that the article links to makes me very very anxious.

Anyways, until Microsoft manages to include support for their own open document standards, nothing related to the Office suite will be in use on my computers.

7. Colin_L
    FAIL

well, that's great!

It's impossible to evaluate any of these sorts of products FOR WORK PURPOSES when the proxy/firewall BOFH has decided that Facebook is evil, and unfit for comsumption at work.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anon/ 4chan/ Encyclopediadramatica

Will have a field day with Facebook dropping dox for them.

9. Meerkatjie
    Thumb Down

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

"Docs.com integrated with the Facebook experience bring together the best of 'software' with the best of 'services.'"

Or in other words I can now use a resource hog of a word processor through a resource hog of a website. Oh joy!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like