back to article Official: Apple iPhone is a chick magnet

Guys, want to get girls? Then buy yourself an iPhone. According to a survey of 1500 women carried out on behalf of Phones4U*, men who own an iPhone are more attrative than those who don't. The retailer said today that 54 per cent of respondents said they would more likely date a fellow if he owns an iPhone. Just over a third …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stone Fox
    Jobs Horns

but surely

any expensive looking smart phone will work...

after all, I'm guessing a lot of women will struggle to tell the difference!

1. That Awful Puppy
      Thumb Down

No.

Women are sensitive to industrial design. Smartphones, with the exception of the Cupertinian underwear remover, are designed by geeks, for geeks. Badly.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

It can backfire...

... if you attempt what that geeky character from "Wild Hogs" did. Voice activated functions might screw it up badly! ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

It cuts both ways...

Surely this just goes to show that if you have an iphone you will only attract shallow gold-digger types?

Anyway nothing like a heavily biased survey from a phone retailer. End of the day alcohol is the key though you might end up with a munt

3. BrentRBrian
    Thumb Up

Bad girls

My mom taught me not to talk to girls that chase iPhone guys ...

4. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    WTF?

Shallow, much?

....that is all.

GJC

1. Marvin the Martian
      Stop

Shallow? No, stupid options.

How is preferring a guy to have an iphone shallower than preferring one without an iphone?

Responding to this type of questions may be a sign of limited insight of course, then you're right.

5. Wang N Staines
    Thumb Up

Works for me...

I was just thinking about this the other day.

A few months ago I was just a sad geeky guy who had the personality of a computer programmer. No girls would talk or give me a second look. Then I got an iphone, and what do you know... I had a few girls starting to converse with me on public transports.

They always start by asking the same question, are you gay?

I think this is because I got the white iphone.

Anyway, that a good start for me. It allows me to show off the apps I bought etc...

6. jake Silver badge

Interesting.

My chick^Wwife threw her iphone into the box of other almost-but-not-quite computer-ish phone-like devices that she's fiddled with over the years, and has happy settled down with her Nokia 5185. She says that making phone calls is, when you boil it down to basics, all a phone is for, when you think about it.

Of course "thinking" isn't really what Apple marketing is all about, now is it?

1. Annihilator
      Pint

Men and women?

She bought an iPhone, then realised she'd be just as happy with a Nokia 5185 because she just wants a phone.

This is why men will never understand women...

1. jake Silver badge

@Annihilator

"She bought an iPhone,"

Nah.The telco gave it to her. It cost us nothing. I declined to participate.

"then realised she'd be just as happy with a Nokia 5185 because she just wants a phone."

Again, nah. She's playing with options. Options are good.

"This is why men will never understand women... "

It's not a matter of understanding, it's a matter of getting along. Maybe reflect on your handle? ;-)

7. Ken 16 Silver badge

Did they show these women photos?

of the queue outside Apple stores when the iPhone was launched?

That was not a studly crowd of fanbois.

Paris: cause she's all about the inner beauty

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shows that some women don't know their tech.

"There's just something about a man who's good with computers that makes him more trustworthy,"

But if he his really good he'll know about some of the restrictions Apple put on the phone and go for a, just as geeky, alternative.

9. Slartybardfast
    Happy

iPhone Babe Magnet

Totality agree about the iPhone babe magnet,

I find that women really go for me once get out my iPhone and I show them my collection of fart apps.

10. Ragarath
    WTF?

Right!

"There's just something about a man who's good with computers that makes him more trustworthy."

So using an iPhone (made for users) means your good with computers. Imo it just means you keep up with the latest craze / like a device that is easy to use.

11. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

The Sun?

When I first read this article, I swear to god I could have been reading something from The Sun. Who the fuck pays for this 'research'?

12. James 5
    Happy

Phones4U ...

.. unbiased, objective scientific research then !

Or a thinly veiled attempt to boost their 2nd quarter sales figures.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

So Phones4U have hooked up some deal with Apple to sell even more iPhones and are going for the too-easy "chick magnet" sales tactic because sad, lonely men are easy to sell to.

I'll test this theory by flashing my iPhone more often...

14. Jimmy Floyd
    FAIL

54%?

I call that 4-percent a rounding error.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Jimmy Floyd

I'd call that a misplaced decimal point. 2 places to the left please. Or are women really that suggestible.....

15. Mark 65

Essentially

It all came down to money in the end then didn't it. So a Nokia banana phone from the late 90s would suffice if it were gold plated and jewel encrusted.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

WAIT

The author did not mean to upgrade the firmware infront of her. That won't get her going.

This 'flash you iPhone' - it is colloquial people, it means to surreptitiously advertise that you own one.

17. Natalie Gritpants
    Jobs Horns

It just means you're more

Suggestible.

18. pinpointzero

Apple iPhone is a magnet for fad fancy, shallow men.

What a complete and utter load of tosh.

The Apple iPhone is carried by men who prefer aesthetics over functionality.

If you want a tech savvy phone, then opt for something more geeky (HTC Desire for example).

And who are these women who prefer shallow men?

"If he can afford an Apple iPhone, he must be good at his job" says the gushing interviewee. Oh please! They're free on contract...

If you want to be a chick magnet here's the best thing you can do.

Don't treat women as objects, as this author seems to, and try being open and honest with one. (Yes - one). Humility and wit should also be added in equal measure.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

So does it still have an effect

when she realises he filled it full of fart apps?

20. Theresa Forster
    Paris Hilton

Come on Get Real

I would never go for a guy with an iPhone, I would much rather snuggle up with someone with an android that can be snuggled up to mine...

Social graces? Soaps?

Java and Scifi -

also must play Eve Online, World or Warcraft and Secondlife

I am ..........

Damn do i really sound that desperate....

1. iamapizza
      Alert

You're the one

Where have you been all my life???

2. dogged

Second Life?

that's only for people who are ugly in their first one.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

IT Groupies...

I love IT groupies :)

""There's just something about a man who's good with computers that makes him more trustworthy," "

22. RobbieCrusoe
    FAIL

54% cite and iPhone as being desirable?

So, 54% of the survey were shallow / young then?

I bet if you asked the same bunch, they would respond that a stupid looking "hot hatch" with a sound system to rival a night club, blacked out windows and a sewer pipe as an exhaust was the ideal car to go on a date in as well!

Grumble grumble... getting old :(

23. Rob 101

What a load of absolute tosh

Survey says "most women interviewed had little understanding of the subject at hand"

"There's just something about a man who's good with computers that makes him more trustworthy," said Lucy

Riiight, so the fact that a good selling point of the iPhone is that you can use it while knowing nothing about computers does not come into this?

The N900 or an Android based handset would probably be a better indication of that.

"If he's got the cash for an iPhone then he must be very good at his job, too."

OK, so the fact that you can get them heavily subsidised and there are many other smartphones just as expensive does not come into it.

What about "if he has an iPhone it means he falls for the hype whether he can afford it or not"?

24. AdrianG
    Happy

iPhone chick magnet?

Might work as long as she doesn't see the iBoobs and fart apps...

25. Code Monkey

And what do I find appealing in a woman?

Having the sense to realise it's just a bloody phone!

26. /dev/me
    Paris Hilton

Seeking clarification

And by 'familiarity with soap', I take it you don't mean the Bold and the Beautiful?

27. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Surely...

..this can all be automated now, a CGI that generates stories saying "A 'survey' on behalf of X shows that X's products make you fitter/healthier/more productive/sexier"?

Given that they have the methodological soundness of homeopathy, it's just a shame that lazy journos dutifully regurgitate these PR puff pieces.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Hey, Lucy!

My latest phone's more expensive than an iphone. Does that make me an object of your desire?

Sorry, if that's how you judge men, then ... well, I can afford any phone on the market (no sweat), or even a Porsche (no thanks), but I can't afford *you*. Bye!

[mine's the one with gadgets in the pockets]

29. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

ho ho ho

shurely you mean "html5 your iphone"!

i kill myself, i really do.

30. Ben Rosenthal

are you sure

they're not saying iPhone and meaning smart phone or touchscreen?

most "normals" will easily mistake any old bit of touchscreen tat for a Jesus phone, they wouldn't know a HSDPA connection if it slipped them a rohypnol.

31. Josco

My choice is clear

Well I was trying to decide between an iPhone or the new HTC Desire.....

No contest really.

32. David 105
    Jobs Horns

Hmmm....

So a survey commissioned by a phone retailler showed that having one of the most expensive phones on the market (which they doubtless take a cut of) makes you more appealing to women. What are the odds?

33. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

So it's not the iPhone itself...

It's what the iPhone says about you:

"I'm rich, but not tight with my money - hell I have an iPhone so I can't be that averse to wasting a bit... and in a Joe Bloggs sense I'm good with technology (I can operate a smart phone for n00bs, so I'm better than your Dad) - maybe I can program your Freeview+ box to record Desperate Housewives and Eastenders..."

Do I want the kind of woman who has assessed me based on iPhone ownership? Not really, I'd rather have one who recognizes them as shiny but overpriced and sees my advanced usage of a real computer and gets excited by that instead.

Incidentally did they ask the same question about other expensive gadgets and smart phones? I'd wager just having something well kept and expensive of any kind has most of the same effect... whilst tatty old phones from 2003 are the real problem.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

What are you talking about?

I don't own an iPhone, I have a better device than that. Maybe it's worth considering that I wouldn't want to be attractive to the kind of shallow idiotic females that think ownership of a particular mobile phone is important in any way!

35. dave 46

Nothing new

Status and wealth have always attracted women - odd that people would see an iPhone as an indicator of either but that's the marketting for you I guess.

Probably tied in with the mistaken belief that working with computers is well paid.

36. Stef 4
    Stop

Wow.

I own a JesusPhone (or iPhone as I call it), so I had better warn my wife that she now has competition from nubile primary school teachers. I had no idea that my awkwardly shaped, fingerprint smeared phone was considered a status symbol, or considered an indicator of wealth. But then, teachers aren't exactly paid a lot are they.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Surplus Iphones?

Surplus iphones have we phones4u?

38. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Down

Excuse me

Owning an iPhone != "Good with computers"

Owning an iPhone != "reliable"

If any phone says "my owner is reliable", I'd say it would be a Blackberry

If any phone says "my owner is "good with computers" (i.e, a geek), I'd say that would be an Android phone.

Oh, and as a fully paid up geek, I can assure you I'm quite well acquainted with SOAP.

39. jjbd

Calumny

I think you underestimate your readers - plenty of us are familiar with SOAP.

40. Andrew Moore

Good luck ladies...

An iPhone owner who is "tech savvy"? Does such a thing exist?

41. Pete 2 Silver badge

Is that an iphone in your pocket

or are you just pleased to see me?

I was just about to take this piece seriously (more out of desperation than belief) until I read the quote: "There's just something about a man who's good with computers that makes him more trustworthy"

42. Neal 5

The new

car reflects inversly your penis size,iPhone,the new supercar. 4G means what 4"or 4mm. I'm sure that loosy being the expert she is,can comment precisely, if you can believe a blonde.

43. RobD
    Coat

Flash your iPhone

"And if all else fails, flash your iPhone"

A firmware update will impress women?

44. Eddy Ito

I was suspicious at first

"If he's got the cash for an iPhone..." -- Says it all, no?

"...only seven per cent saying they don't care what job a prospective partner does for a living." -- I'm a bit surprised it's that high actually, but it's good news for the pimps and axe murders.

"Women also cited familiarity with soap and social ease" -- Got it, dirty with social disease is a turn off.

45. andy gibson
    Happy

I'll just...

...stick with my good looks, husky Sean Bean-esque voice, and winning smile thanks all the same!

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh wait...

Silly me, the 4G is due out in the summer so that's what Phones4U are trying to do, clear the existing stock of 3GS models to new punters.

47. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Doesn't work.

Yes, it attracts them.

But for some reason, as soon as you explain the jailbreaking process in detail, demonstrate what you can do in a ssh session on it and then show them round Cydia they seem to lose interest........

48. Grave
    Thumb Down

cra

"There's just something about a man who's good with computers"

lol, someone good with computers wouldnt be caught dead with crapple product

1. Coyote

Heywood.

"someone good with computers wouldnt be caught dead with crapple product"

I'm good with computers; I want a good computer. MacBook Pro FTW.

49. Nic 3
    Thumb Up

the usual

I see the usual "I dont own an iPhone but I will damn well comment in an iPhone thread" internet warriors are out in force today

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Or the reverse

I have an iPhone, but I can't be bothered to comment..

50. This post has been deleted by its author

1. chr0m4t1c

TBH

I think my wife would be quite upset if I got myself a girlfriend.

51. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Are iPhone owners even bothered about this sort of thing?

Just asking - 'cos all the ones I've met have been complete wankers...

Coat

No, no, no

(*)

We're not wanking, just shaking the iPhone to shuffle tunes. That's my excuse and I'll "stick" to it.

The one with the tissues please

(*) Yes, I said I couldn't be bothered to comment. I lied. So?

52. Danny 5
    Paris Hilton

you mean to say

geeks with a gadget-fetish are the new don Juan?

i'll finally get some? after 34 years in life, all i need is an Iphone to lose my virginity?

omg!

Paris because she'll be one of the first people i'll try to shag once i get an Iphone

53. armyknife
    Thumb Up

Better a meritocracy than titles

Very useful info, I can immediately rule out 54% of females as potential dates, for being vacuous materialists.

54. Sarah Davis
    FAIL

what a load of rubbish - you sados just made this up !!

this was obviously written by someone with the mentality of a sad single male ipod owner.

iPhones are not chick magnets at all. The statement they actually make for most users is "here is someone whose sad enough to think that owning an iPhone is impressive" - it's the same as guys who where too much aftershave, or who own a boy-racer car beyond their means. it's remarkably similar to a 4 year old boy trying to show off to his mum.

Intelligent women are far more impressied by a guy who doesn't try to impress, and are more likely to laugh at anyone gullible enough to rush out and buy the latest "must have" tech.

55. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Hmmm...

Sorry, but my survey of iphone owning friends doesn't bare this out...

My brother - Single

Craig - Single

Triston - Single

Other brother - Married, twice, but in pre-iphone days

Jo - Divorced whilst owning an iphone!

Andy - Womaniser, but he's always been like that. Owning a Ferrari helps.

As for geek/nerd attraction powers, an iphone is a fashion accessory, not a techie toy. A real techie wouldn't be seen dead with a phone he can't control, dismantle or take pictures in the dark with!

Personally I get far more curiosity for my N97 with it's flip out keyboard. Often from frustrated typist iphone owners! Who cares if it's a bit temperamental at times, it's different!

Remember, nobody ever looked twice at a Ford Mondeo, no matter how many after market things you bolted onto it.

56. Coyote
    Pint

Across the pond, maybe...

Here in the states the iPhone is just another phone... and very popular one. I was sitting at a bar the other week where literally everyone, guys and gals, including myself, had an iPhone. Yawn. I can get more looks by wearing a nice hat.

Around here, unfortunately, the iPhone is moving into the (personally despised) category of 'bling'. Everyone of a certain culture just has to have an iPhone in a blinged out case. Mine is naked and proud, despite having a few battle scars.

Now, let me be one of the first to get my hands on one of those just-leaked iPhone Pro (that's what I'm calling it) and I'm sure it will turn some heads.

57. Coyote
    Thumb Up

<steve>One more thing</steve>

I love when a cute girl has an iPhone.

It's a topic to talk about right away.

My 3GS still has some wow factor to prev-gen owners (esp. when I demo the new camera)

Using Bump to exchange info is quite flirty.

58. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Huh?

"If he's got the cash for an iPhone then he must be very good at his job, too."

Huh? In the US, the iPhone is actually one of the cheapest phones available (with the subsidy). If you compare it to how much money an average person makes, then it looks even more ridiculous. I highly doubt that even bad "computer people" would be stopped from buying an iPhone because of money.

59. J 3
    Paris Hilton

Er...

"There's just something about a man who's good with computers that makes him more trustworthy," said Lucy

Cool, so Linux dudes must be scoring left, right, and center. Oh, wait... we are!

(now, should I use the Penguin or the Joke icon...? oh, damn, Paris it is then)

Thumb Up

Even better - dual boot Android..

It's already in alpha - that's mature enough for some :-)

I rather like the idea of a dual boot phone, it means I can annoy both Android and iPhone users at once. Oh, and Steve Jobs, he must be throwing an absolute fit if he already gets upset at a simple jail broken phone..

60. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

what the ...

"There's just something about a man who's good with computers that makes him more trustworthy,"

am i the only one going "WTF" when reading this sentence ?

61. Graham Jordan

interestingly enough

if a woman pulled out her iphone and started to show it off I'd be turned off.

62. Jolyon Ralph
    Grenade

@Graham Jordan

It depends where she pulled it out of.

63. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Thing is...

Men who're really tech-saavy will have anything but an iPhone as their mobile.

64. takuhii

WTF???!!!

Sorry phones4u, you're cheap marketing ploy won't work on me.

I have an iPhone 3GS, wouldn't consider myself overly attractive, but I'm not a Gollum look-a-like, and I'm significantly devoid of chick magnetism

Points for trying though...

65. Richard Scratcher
    Heart

Definitely a chick magnet

I was just sitting there, playing with my iPhone, minding my own business, when this gorgeous woman spotted me from afar and sashayed over to me. She was tall, shapely, very attractive - way out of my league. I made eye contact with her as she got closer and she smiled a smile that could melt your heart. She gracefully crouched down next to my chair, exposing a little more of her long shapely sun-kissed legs.

"Is that a phone?" she asked in a soft lilting Irish accent.

"Er..um yes." I stammered, "It's an iPhone, the 3G model but not the 3GS".

"Well you need to switch it off now sir, we're about to land."

66. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprise

A phone retailer does a survey that concludes that buying more expensive phones makes you smarter, sexier, etc.

What next "Buying the N97 will make your knob bigger"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like