back to article IBM's Power 780 pushes the value envelope

After several months of tuning and tweaking in its benchmark labs, IBM has finally released a TPC-C online transaction processing benchmark test result for its new Power7-based servers. Rather than presenting results on a number of heavily configured machines, IBM has packed a lot of flash storage into a relatively skinny …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So,

IBM is some 30% overpriced?

Nice to see a number put on that for once. Though the comparison isn't fair. windows itself isn't worth it even if you got money to go with it.

Tangentially, lack of high-end competition is to at least some amount blameable on dear dear Carly. Just for fun veering into conspiracy theorising, it's fair to say intel had vested interests there, not to mention micros~1. I'm surprised they didn't care better for her afterward.

3. Magellan

Availability dates on TPC reports

The October 13th date is exactly six months after the benchmark report date of April 13th. This is standard procedure for most vendors. Six months is the limit on hardware/software availability. Even if IBM projected all components to be available in four months, it will put a date of six months out on the report, that way if product availability slips, they do not have to pull the benchmark.

I know vendors who would challenge competitor's benchmark reports when a part did not ship by the availability date.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Matt will Blast 'em

...for using SSD memory they don't have on their price list.

@SPEC: Why do you allow the posting of results of products one cannot buy ? Please require to use products that can actually be bought at a defined (and published) price in the future.

5. Jesper Frimann
    Thumb Up

Well what I think is nice..

is that 'one' of the UNIX vendors, finally made a benchmark that shows that doing things right, and using some big *ss UNIX iron is only slightly more expensive, than buying cheap x86 iron with restricted software licenses.

// Jesper

6. Robin@Centiq

What about some Oracle stats?

I understand that IBM have DB2 to sell, but only posting results of DB2 based benchmarks does not promote their hardware to the Oracle market. AIX /POWER is a great platform for BIG database environments, and it is a shame they seem to want to convert the world to DB2 rather than promote Oracle on AIX.

1. Jesper Frimann
      Pint

Jup..

I agree. As much as we love to see Oracle and IBM slug it out, and hopefully lower prices. Then we need benchmarks with multiple DB's on hardware.

So lets have some Oracle on POWER7.

But if you look at it then then POWER is more or less the only UNIX iron that has multiple DB (DB2/Oracle/Sybase) submissions on TPC-C. HP and SUN is all oracle.

// Jesper

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like