back to article Plods-turned-gumshoes jailed for hacking operation

Two ex-policemen were jailed today for running a private detective agency that tapped phonelines and hacked computers during its investigations. Former Met officers Jeremy Young, 40, from Ilford in Essex, and Scott Gelsthorpe, 33, from Kettering, got 27 months and 24 months respectively at Southwark Crown Court today. Their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. laird cummings

A bit of an understatement...

<< "This case involved a national network of private investigators... ...with police connections which is a concern." >>

No, really? A 'concern,' you say? Surely it's not so!

One wonders where these former and current 'upstanding defenders of law and order' *learned* their disrespect of the law, hmmm..?

2. Ian McNee

Serious Crime Squad...

So...plods from Satfford, Stoke, Newcastle-under-Lyme among others commiting serious crimes to line their pockets. Old habits die hard - perhaps they used to work for the West Midlands Serious Crime Squad before it was disbanded in an attempt to tackle the quantity of serious crimes commited by said plod-squad in the region.

3. John Gamble

Common Phenomenon

Here in Chicago, the "elite" Special Operations Section is set to be disbanded, due to some of the special operations its members attempted to undertake, such as home invasions and robberies.

As previous posters have said, they have to learn their skills somewhere.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DNA database

... and that's why I don't want my DNA on police record.

5. Steve Browne

Now you know ..

.. why the Nuffield report on bioethics described the "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" as fallacious. Giving anything to a gang of criminals, backed up with national networks and rights to demand certain things, such as encryption keys, is a very dangerous thing to do.

Some may laugh at the civil liberties groups, but they are fast becoming our last hope against the Orwellian nightmare that Britain is becoming. Please, when you get an opportunity, vote out your NuLabour MP and lets hope the replacements will start to undo the serious damage being done to OUR society.

Who was it that said "The living have no right to forgive" remember people died for the freedom we have today. Bliar has already gone, Bush is on his way, the damage remains.

6. Ben

@ Steve B

Pretty much how it is , like Duke said.......

"when the going gets weird , the weird turn pro "

Generallisimo Brown?

"show me a good loser and i see a loser"

fingers crossed ( not inclined toward superstition ) because

it is ....... chaos . Luck may have a part to play .

Steve ......salut!

7. Andy Bright

re: Now You Know

See that's the problem isn't it. The dip shits that vote in these arseholes on both sides of the Atlantic refuse to acknowledge both countries as fast becoming everything we scorned the USSR for being.

And instead of voting out every prick that passes these laws, the best we get is an equally complicit set of pricks to replace them.

I personally don't give a toss what party anyone votes for. Just do your best to make sure that the person doing their level best to fuck up either democracy and shit on civil rights that took centuries to gain is voted permanently out of office.

Not only that, but the message must be clear as to why they're being booted. In the US more than 50% of lawmakers were replaced because the US population wanted their troops out of Iraq.

The dumb shits still haven't worked that out and are actually afraid of cutting off the funding that would force such a withdrawal. What they fail to realise is if they don't do it quick, they'll all be replaced again, and this time hopefully with someone that has a bloody backbone.

Congress has an 11% approval rating - and despite the very clear message they were given at the beginning of the year, don't understand why they're so unpopular.

They're unpopular because they're weak, spineless twats that won't do what they were told to by the voting public.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

National ID Cards = More Abuse

A greater number of corrupt officials will have access to everybodys personal details.

9. Alan Donaly

Corruption&@andy

I think these two things are linked the politicians who aren't listening are listening to their corporate contributors who want these things for a variety of reasons they need to be taught in corruption as well voting them out in cycles doesn't do this well enough some people need to go to jail.

10. James

Common practice

I really find it hard to believe people are surprised by this. It has been common practice for years for ex-police to go into private investigation and their previous employer hire their services as a means of circumventing legal restraints on the police force. When caught it is not uncommon for the courts to effectively slap them on the wrist and fine them £250 in the uk - if it ever gets that far - normally an apology will suffice.

I think this highlights the problem society has with the police and legal authorities. It diminishes completely their position when they employ these types of practice - then take the prove we knew stance.

Welcome to the real world.

11. Slaine
    Thumb Down

Punishment fitting Crime?

2 months for empowering a criminal

3 and 10 months for running illegal businesses

14 months for compromising the contents of a police database

24 and 27 months apiece for being linchpins in a completely illegal business empire founded on the abuse of previous employment positions and contacts, committing acts that cannot be viewed as anything other than utterly illegal...

... for the blatant abuse of personal privacy, for the unacceptable misuse of police data, for enabling the furtherment of organised crime, for organising deliberately fraudulent activities... ???

EXECUTE the barstools, by lethal injection of a rusty spoon.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Devil's advocate

"They're unpopular because they're weak, spineless twats that won't do what they were told to by the voting public."

Or maybe they're unpopular because they're courageously standing up for what's right in the face of mewling by a spineless public.

It's all in the viewpoint.

13. Dan

Gaaah! The Frustration!

PRECISELY one of the reasons that 'nothing to hide = nothing to fear' is complete bollocks - because somewhere, people are in control, and those people can be corrupted, bought, etc etc.

14. Jorge Salgado-Reyes
    Unhappy

Don't tag all PI's with the same brush!

I'm appalled at this case but most PI's in the UK are not like them and I ask you all not to tag us with the same brush.

This topic is closed for new posts.