back to article iPhone and Mac boost Apple by 94%

The Apple juggernaut continues to pick up speed. Cupertino today announced its financial results for its second fiscal quarter of 2010, which ended March 27. During that quarter, revenues were $13.5bn, up from $9.1bn during the same period last year, a 49 per cent jump. Quarterly net profit also soared from $1.6bn in last year …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ker-ching

Michael Dell is unavailable for comment, presumably.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

RE: Ker-ching

If he's the guy who owns Dell, I hope he's been assassinated.

1. sleepy

No

No - he's the guy who sold Dell, probably to your pension fund among others, taking more cash for himself than all the profit the company has made since the beginning of time. Admire his house from above on Google maps.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

@Michael Dell

Mr Dell has decided to get out of the personal computer business... He will hence forth focus on software. (This is only sort of a joke... Dell-Perot systems.)

2. Random_Walk

Almost even with Microsoft on market cap

...and only 1/10th the size, market-share-wise.

Damn. Love or hate the CEO/fanboys/cult/whatever, I don;t think anyone can argue that owning AAPL stock is a particularly bad idea right about now...

1. E Haines

Market share

You may have noticed that Apple produces other things besides computers, some of which have substantially more market share than Microsoft equivalents.

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

New products that sell

Apple is becoming rather good at producing new products that actually sell and make money while Microsoft relies on Office and Windows while producing average new products that don't sell well and are eventually dropped.

Heard a good joke about Microsoft's new 'kin phone (in reaction to the iPhone prototype left in a bar), Bill Gates left a Kin phone in a bar as well, it's still there :)

3. jake Silver badge

Market Cap, shmarket crap.

Look at their PE ratio ... It's hovering around 30. The bubble will burst, eventually. Apple's been due for what is euphemistically called "a correction" for quite a while now.

3. Nic 3
    Thumb Up

Y o y o y

Why oh why oh why didn't steve jobs listen to some of the wise commenters on the reg who have consistantly pointed out failings in his business plan. It will never work...

/oh wait.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

tellement ironique

apple is only good for the printing industry and are useless.

the ipod will be a flop, the battery cannot be replace. what were they thinking?

OS X is a joke OS copied entirely from microsoft and has no real apps to run on.

the iPhone will fail and fail badly.

the iPhone has virtual keyboard, so awkward and without future.

Macbook air without an ethernet port and optical drive is just stupid.

those who buy macs are stupid fanbois who don't think.

the ipad is a stupid tool that no one will buy except fanbois.

isn't it entertaining to read posts from "know it all wannabes"? keep them coming please cause some on here like to be amused.

1. Stone Fox
      Grenade

feel free to correct me if I get this slightly wrong

but I believe it was Adam Smith (the father of modern economics) that said;-

you will never go bankrupt betting on the stupidity of the buying public...

2. vic 4
      Happy

RE: tellement ironique

People at the time obviously under estimated

> those who buy macs are stupid fanbois who don't think.

> the ipad is a stupid tool that no one will buy except fanbois.

;-)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

@Kam

Weak, weak troll. 1/10.

"apple is only good for the printing industry and are useless."

That sentence contradicts itself.

"the ipod will be a flop..."

Did you write this in 2000? iPods command 70% of the market.

"OS X is a joke OS copied entirely from microsoft..."

A joke OS built from FreeBSD is better than a "real" OS built from shite.

"the iPhone will fail and fail badly."

Why does the iPhone command over 50% of mobile ad dollars and Internet traffic?

"the iPhone has virtual keyboard, so awkward and without future."

And yet all the other mobile phone makers try to emulate it, even when they have physical keyboards.

"Macbook air without an ethernet port and optical drive is just stupid."

Did you store this diatribe on your 5.25" floppy disk drive?

"those who buy macs are stupid fanbois who don't think."

Or System Administrators for a major university (as I am) who like being able to run Mac, Linux, and PC applications side by side to keep everything working smoothly.

"the ipad is a stupid tool that no one will buy except fanbois."

Your myopia is astounding. Pretty sad that a 12-year-old who uses the word "fanbois" and cannot use proper English has such eye problems at such a young age.

1. jake Silver badge

@AC 19:47

Your post is SO ironic ... Sadly, you don't get it. But do carry on, some of us are amused :-)

5. Mike 102
    Thumb Up

All this in the shadow of a recession.

You have to admit that love or hate Apple and it's products, it is producing stuff people want to buy and are willing to pay for.

Good business.

Personally I think the stock is over priced and we'll have some sort of adjustment at some point soon.... But then again I'm no expert....

Way to go Apple, now can we drop the prices a touch....

6. Ammaross Danan
    Boffin

Thing is

The thing is, if you look at any computer maker's reportings, they say relatively the same thing. "Sales up XX% over same quarter last year." Intel and AMD are both shipping double-digits over last year, etc. Of course, last year was part of the the Great Recession... If we follow the chain, "Sales up XX% over last year, which was down X% from the previous year, which was down XX% from the previous year..." things must have just evened out a bit then?

1. E Haines

There was no down

Except Apple was not down last year, or the year before, or the year before that either...4.36 -> 5.25 -> 7.51 -> 9.08 -> 13.5.

7. Neal 5

Love them or hate them

analogies are great, Apple, the Marmite of IT. For those who forsee a "correction" in Apple stock/shares, I think Mr Job's $40Bn in the bank, may also correct the correction. I also think that $40Bn in the bank, may also provide a substantial safety net for any future short comings. Also forsee that the $40Bn may grow exponentially in the future. As Orange used to say " The future is bright, the future is Orange".

Also the title of a book " Orange is not the only fruit". Particularly apt for all Apple fanbois.

Anyway, good luck to the Jobsian cultist brainwashed, and indeed to those who hold stock/shares in Apple. Liver and onions anyone.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And to think, people here were complaining,,,,

About Apple's board bowing down to Jobs's every whim. With growth like this, I'm sure no one, board level or otherwise, wants to rock the boat.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jobs

He's still a wanker

10. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Jobs is an idiot

Just listen to El Reg readers comments and he could quadruple those numbers. $13 billion? What a tool. Drop the prices and add in every single function you could ever want to do to every device and he'll have all the money in the world.

How stupid is he?

11. fishman

Ipod

It's not surprising that ipod sales are down - many buy an iphone as an ipod replacement + smartphone. Why spend $150-$200 for an ipod when you can get an iphone for $200?

12. richard 69
    Pint

ipod sales down? - re-read please

i believe it says that ipod touch sales are up 63%, so no, people don't buy iphones instead of ipods - both products sell to different markets.

13. Simpson

new product

I think it's an iSegway.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like