back to article 'R2' robot to join space station crew, says NASA

NASA has announced that once again life is to imitate art, as the human race's principal manned spacecraft - the International Space Station (ISS) - is soon to gain a robot crewmember known as "R2". The R2 robot from NASA and GM. Credit: NASA Probably doesn't have a message from an imperilled princess or anything. Rather …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. max allan

What's next?

I think the NASA imagination is going to call the next one C3 somehow. I can't think up a sensible space robot word starting with C, so it will probably be extremely contrived.

Although this R2 looks a lot more like a C3PO than an R2D2.

1. imacoder.net

space robot word starting with C

Cosmobot

2. xpert_con
    Thumb Up

Hmmm

Sounds good.

3. Locky
    Coat

Bah

IT seems this is not the droid I was looking for

Yeah, I know, the one with the Corellian keys in the pocket. Ta

4. David 45

R2?

FU more like. Don't think I could sleep at night, knowing that sinister looking thing was lurking locally!

5. Glyn 2
    FAIL

Hail to the Chief

Less like R2 than Master Chief

6. Rocket
    Terminator

Why not make it tin-can shaped?

did they make it humanoid so it would fit in a EVA suit and then be able to go outside?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Considering being built by GM...

...will it run on regular unleaded gasoline, or etanol? Or is 90% of its mass comprised of batteries?

Can it do even half what of Honda's (humanoid) bots can do back here on planet Dirt?

If it was build by Rolls Royce, would it run on Diesel?

8. Matt 58
    Go

What?

What are you doing Dave?

9. Graham Marsden
    Coat

But...

... does it know the difference between a power socket and a computer terminal?

10. RainForestGuppy
    WTF?

Questions...

1.) Why does it have to have a head modelled on a Power Ranger?

2.) What good is a Humanoid fixed torso robot over say a standard robot arm?

3.) Is this the same GM that has been bailed out multiple times by the US government because they keep making cars that nobody wants?

4.) Does anybody else think it's the fore-runner of "Johnny Cab" from total recall? Hence GM link?

If 3 is true, I suppose we chould be thankful it's not Toyota. The last think you want on you spacestation is a droid that want stop.

11. andrew mulcock

space suit

So stick it in a space suit,

and it can go outside.

As it does not breath, should be no problems of the bends.

I guess it just needs the heating / cooling of the back pack.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

@andrw mulcock

"So stick it in a space suit,"

Nice idea, and I suspect the *point* of making it a (roughly) human sized, human shaped robot. Perhaps inspired by the work of Shadow Robotics but maybe its parallel evolution.

My bet is the mungous hardware stand it sits on and the cable it drags around behind itself will deter such plans for some time to come.

12. Andus McCoatover

Dave? Dave?

What are you doing, Dave?

Trust it can at least sing "Daisy, Daisy...", if fuc*k all else.

13. Swoop
    Thumb Up

Some say...

...it can do Star Wars droid impersonations...

...and in another life it was Kenny Baker's understudy.

We only know...

...it's Robo-Stig!

14. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Unhappy

Speaking of useless robotics

Dextre apparently hasn't done a thing since it's been uncrated. I've been following it and not seen a single news story about it, other than astronauts installing a toolset on it.

15. Adrian Esdaile
    Terminator

Someone used the 'Disney Button'

That's not a proper robot!

Where are the spinning blade attachments?

Where does it fit an Uzi 9mm?

It looks like it can only say 'I love you' rather than 'YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO COMPLY'

Lame, NASA, Lame. I bet the Russians could come up with something fierce and give it a proper acronym like I.V.A.N. or T.R.O.T.S.K.Y. Actually, Rasputin would be rather cool too.

"Open the Pod Bay door, Rasputin"

"And let your stinky puny body into my pristine form? You jest, organic life-form! FEEL MY WRATH!"

16. MrJP
    Terminator

CHRIST!

Why not just call it AMEE and inform the loved ones of the poor astronauts on board?

May God (and more usefully, it) have mercy on their souls.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like