back to article Alleged MI6 traitor also accused of betraying spies

The former MI6 officer accused of trying to sell spying secrets is also now charged with trying to trade lists of British intelligence personnel, a court heard. The new charge against 25-year-old Daniel Houghton was added at a hearing at Horseferry Road Magistrates' Court on Thursday. Piers Arnold, for the prosecution, said …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

For £2m/900k what would it matter, for 'tis thirty pieces of silver and fool's gold?

"It is unclear which nation's intelligence service Houghton allegedly believed he was selling to." ..... he was a very confused boy then.

Presumably it is more a case of home intelligence not believing whatever nation's intelligence service Houghton tells them he believed he was selling to ....... which would have one then asking which service would be most unbelievable. But hey, it's spooky and their paranoid base has everyone suspect ........ which is really handy for justification of secret funding whenever anyone can be a phantom enemy to protect the population from.

It is difficult to think of a Better Beta Business Plan.

1. dogged

are you ill?

I understood that one.

Bravo .....

"are you ill?... I understood that one." ..... dogged Posted Friday 16th April 2010 12:13 GMT

No, I am perfectly well, thanks, which would then suggest that you are getting smarter, which is a much more likely explanation too, for your understanding, dogged.

1. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge

amanfromMars

Raising the intelligence of the internet, one commenttard at a time.

A Nine Figure Nine Figured Sum is Always an Internal Investment for it Never leaves the System

...... in Most Every Sensitive Case, N'est ce Pas?

"Raising the intelligence of the internet, one commenttard at a time." .... Trevor Pott o_O Posted Friday 16th April 2010 16:34 GMT

Actually, Trevor, it is a lot more focussed although no less ambitious than that, for with the virtual domain being so critically important in the strategic command and control of global power and influence sense, [Control CyberSpace Command Civilisation(s)] raising the intelligence of Secret Intelligence Services, one comment at a time, is the Great AI Game.

And live betatesting so transparently, their supposedly ubiquitous and systems embedded, all seeing, all hearing, all singing and dancing analytical snoop algorithms, would extraordinarily render a definitive catalogue of their every weakness, which would be spun and is spinning as a virtual strength, more perfectly wished for than effectively delivered.

And that information, in concert with other available intelligence which would make radical beta use of the opportunities and zeroday vulnerabilities which intelligence weaknesses deliver, and that would even be endemic systemic global weaknesses, would be much more likely to be worth a billion rather than anything close to a million, although whenever priceless, it is just numbers to play with.

And you would be amazed at the number of beings and .orgs with that sort of irregular and unconventional clout to play Great Games with, and make and remake absolutely fabulous fortunes ..... but that is what IT does, Special Secret Server Software for Quantum Control Systems.

2. Mark 65

Maybe?

They should have just disappeared the little prick

3. kosmos

I love the smell of espionage in the morning....

Pfft, why bother going to all the trouble of providing laptop hard drives and USB keys yourself, when a search of the london underground and the back seat of a cab would reveal any number of un-encrypted devices forgotten by our (th)intelligence officers.

4. Toastan Buttar
    Thumb Up

S'up dawg ?

I heard you spying so I put secrets in your secrets so you could spy while you spy.

5. Thomas 18
    Stop

25 eh? too young

Young people shouldn't be allowed to be spies, too much testosterone. Hmn.... I can see this line of reasoning leading towards eunuchs.

6. some-reg-reader
    Go

Would have been left on a train anyway

Who can blame a guy for trying! If he hadn't of sold them, they would only have been left on a train anyway! ;)

7. Cliff

What would Smiley say?

letting kids run around with secrets

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dangerous Games

What a foul little maggot. No doubt he was dealing with at least one level of middle man organisation...thus the lack of clarity about whom he was in contact with. I'm sure as soon as he opens his mouth (and he most certainly will as I suspect he's about to have one of his less enjoyable months), with any luck he'll disappear into the darkest hole the Service can muster.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Traitor

Shame New Labour banned the death sentence for treason. Might encourage other spies not to do it......

10. Alan Firminger

Cool it

Gwent police give information away, ibid.

11. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Before we dump innocent unless proved guilty

Perhaps we might wait for the trial.

Just a thought.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

re: Before we dump innocent unless proved guilty

You must be new here - you're not an immigrant perchance?

We don't even pretend to be better than the bad guys these days - lying, torture, fraud, bribery, detention without trial, guilty until proven innocent, country run by corporations - all the things that make Britain great. Not.

And it comes from the top.

If you want to make no difference, then vote for NO CHANGE - vote Tory, Labour or LibDem.

12. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

What the sod does his nationality matter?

Hey Reg, what's up with that?

I mean, I really wanted to comment about the topic of the article, but that's too much. Pureblood Brits are perfectly trustworthy, what?

Anon. because I really don't meant to p- on anyone's nationalism.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like