back to article Orange re-bundles broadband

Orange is to give up running its own broadband network, and will rebundle its service to leave BT Wholesale to compete with itself. Orange will hand over its existing infrastructure to BT Wholesale, and will continue to operate as a bundled broadband provider in the same mould as Vodafone, Tesco and the dozen or so other ISPs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

And they only

just LLU'd my exchange last month.

2. Absent
    WTF?

So.....

they will migrate everyone onto their "unlimited" 5GB FUP IPStream packages?

3. Danny 14
    Thumb Up

probably

but that is a major change to your contract so just go with someone else such as BE*

1. Ivan Headache

Be again

Last week I put a client on to o2 broadband - possibly the most painless broadband set up I have ever done. A speed check revealed that he was connected to Be in maidenhead and his download speed was marginally under 14 while his upload was about .7

2. Absent
      Thumb Down

re: probably

There's still large portions of the country BE don't get anywhere near. It's not as simple as that.

4. Andrew James

Remember me on this computer?

Does this mean they'll take away my free broadband for being an Orange mobile customer?

Not that it matters, i'm leaving them in 8 weeks anyway.

5. colin79666

Finally some good Orange BB news

Having lost thousands of customers when they started going down the LLU path and making a right mess of it it sounds like someone at Orange has finally accepted that they simply don't have the skills or equipment to pull it off.

Perhaps this also has something to do with the impending changes to fibre. Little point trying to unbundle with tech that will soon be obsolete.

6. paulf
    Dead Vulture

linkked?

The link to the Times story where the Orange guy finally faces up to the sad sorry truth ("...The company told The Times that "We are not satisfied with where we stand with broadband, as our customer base is declining and our performance is poor. But we need to remain in fixed-line broadband so decided to fundamentally change what we are doing".") seems to link to a story in the Tory-Graph about India having more mobiles than kharzies.

Is this some obscure reference to Orange being as good as a toilet in India? or something.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/7593567/India-has-more-mobile-phones-than-toilets-UN-report.html

And when did Orange's broadband being poor become "news".

Hmmm, can't select Reg tombstone and coat requisition icon at the same time :s

7. Smallbrainfield
    Coat

Well, I'm on Orange Broadband

and I've never had any problems w

8. Juan Inamillion

Well, I'm on Orange Broadband Part Deaux

Me neither, in fact, it came along as I was about to nuke Pipex and, coincidentally, renew my Orange mobile contract They offered me 'fast' broadband for next to nowt.

Last I checked I was getting 10M down and 0.7M up.... Not too shabby I thought.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I DONT BELEIVE IT!!!

They have only just fixed the LLU problem on my sisters line!!

(Took them several years mind you!!)

I'll let her know she can look forwards to better service and sp.... oh, hand on; BT??

BUGGER! No improvement likely then.

PS Would just like to say "HA HA!!" to those Orange tech. fcuktards

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I DONT BELEIVE IT!!

They have only just fixed the LLU problem on my sisters line!!

(Took them several years mind you!!)

I'll let her know she can look forwards to better service and sp.... oh, hand on; BT??

BUGGER! No improvement likely then.

PS Would just like to say "HA HA!!" to those Orange tech. fcuktards

11. NoBed
    Alien

Cracking news!!

Knowing a LOT about Orange BB back from the Freeserve days, I can honestly say the product (from a technical point of view) increased massively over the first year or so of being "Orange". Seems to have stagnated a bit recently with numbers declining.

Think it's awesome news to see things shifting to BT, like the article says, gives them options for "Magenta" mobile when they finally let the world know what they're calling themselves!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Shame.

I am on Orange BB, and can't say in the 3 years of using it, there has ever been a single problem, whereas Virgin BB which I used for the 4 years previous was appalingly bad. With dropped connections and lost packets all over the shop, sudden unexplained massive drops in bandwidth (nothing to do with traffic shaping). Let's see what happens when BT takes over the connection.

On another note, Orange and BT seem to be getting very cosy to one another. I used to work for Orange as a field tech (left on bad terms, so have no reason to be loyal to them), and found out from a former colleague recently that the entire radio access faulting and maintenance department has been outsourced to BT MSL.

13. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

"large portions of the country BE don't get anywhere near. "

"large portions of the country BE don't get anywhere near. "

That is perfectly true, but the chances of anyone on Orange LLU being in an area that Be don't serve are quite small, because most exchanges have either one provider (BTwholesale) or a full complement of LLU providers, most of which are in a race for the gutter (Orange, Sky, TalkTalk... really, who'd choose to buy from them outside a bundle?) .

Most places with LLU also have cable too. Marvellous.

Quite why we need nearly half a dozen competing sets of LLU kit and nearly half a dozen sets of competing backhaul, usually in addition to the cable infrastructure, is a question someone somewhere ought to look at. But they won't, because the great god Mammon, and it's aunt Ma Ketforces, must be obeyed.

14. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"...only BT has the necessary scale."

So BT is still a monopoly then.

More than 20 years after those (organise...in a brewery) people at OFCOM were supposedly brought in to eliminate this :(

I guess they had friends in high places.

Maybe this is what they mean by being part of a "fairer" Britain. /Sarcasm off.

15. chris 130
    Megaphone

Monopoly

BT are becoming a Monopoly player here.

Cry FOUL !!!!

16. Nicholas Smith

Took them long enough

Back about 4 years ago I was working front line tech for Orange and the LLU was the biggest debacle I've ever come across. They should have scrapped it there and then, but persisted and carried on despite the fact that it was clearly not working *anywhere*.

Common sense but a little too late.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like