back to article NFC? It might work says Department for Transport

Following two years of study, and £355,000 in cash, the Department for Transport has concluded that NFC works OK for ticketing. Probably. The study, which was conducted by Consult Hyperion, included giving NFC handsets to 40 people for six months, and bench testing of Nokia's NFC handset as a payment terminal. The 52-page …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

I'm sure I'd find this article very exciting...

if only it'd explain wth NFC _is_.

1. OffBeatMammal

NFC == Near Field Communications

think Bluetooth but way lower power (and way lower range)

the magic which lets your card key unlock a door just by swiping it past the detector

Funnily enough there are countries in the world where NFC enabled phones are a key part of everyday life, don't require huge amounts of user training etc... but the growth in the UK will be stiffled because users will resent another Big Brother tracking technology, no-one will agree common standards (so you'll probably need several phones... one for busses, one for mainline trains, one for the tube and possibly one if you plan to visit Manchester)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

NFC....

...stands for Near-Field Communications, where 13.56MHz energy is coupled across between coils that are between a few mm and a few cm apart.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ReaderOfTheRegister: Near Field Communication

http://www.jfgit.com/NFC/

4. Basic

near field communication

Think RFID (Radio-Frequency IDentification) / Oyster card / etc...

2. npupp 1

*sighs*

How much?! *faints*

This strikes me as a rather nifty set of projects for masters students in buisness, computer science and engineering (rough examples, projects are all inter-disciplinary now anyway), who would be able to, at a fraction of the cost, make a damn sight better judgement on viability and security of the NFC payment system.

A student to work on testing security, a student for working on standards, etc. Gives academics funding, keeps kidlums in academia, one could probably spin this as "building a partnership between government and universities in working towards a high tech britain"

3. jon 77

@ReaderOfTheRegister...

do I need to explain how to type 'NFC' into google???

1. Michael

to be fair

it is standard and accepted practice to define acronyms. Especially when people might not have heard of it, when we are talking about, what for many people, is a new technology.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

A?

WTF's NFC?

1. John Dougald McCallum
      Unhappy

EH what

NFC stands for ........No F'kn Chance as one poster said unless ALL aps are bog standard it will fall flat on its face £300k+ is chicken feed to what has all ready been pissed up the wall on Goverment IT schemes

5. K_Smith
    Go

NFC is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_Field_Communication

6. John A Blackley

Sorry

....to introduce a note of negativism here but do we really need a government so callous with taxpayers' money that it hands over this kind of dosh for something a single, qualified consultant could've done in a week and less than one-tenth the cost?

Okay, find me the TorLabLidDem clone who'll say, "We'll stop spending brazillions on government IT follies."

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

A "Technology of the future"

Always has been, always will be.

Digital Gallium Arsenide chips.

Fusion power.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like