back to article NASA gunman: police blame work grudge

A NASA employee who killed a colleague, took another hostage and then turned his gun on himself, was lashing out at the man he thought was responsible for his poor work review, police investigators have said. William Phillips, 60, took a revolver to work with him at the Johnson Space Centre on Friday. He then barricaded himself …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DZ-Jay

Was it worth it?

But what I'd like to know is if the incident actually improved the employees performance review? "Goal driven", "able to perform under pressure", and all that.

-dZ.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

More is needed

Frankly, it looks like NASA is going to have to review a lot more than just its security procedures. First we had a diaper babe turned stalker, now we have a gun-wielding 60-year-old who can't take a negative review.

To me it seems that the whole hiring process also needs an overhaul. They need to recruit people who are not only intelligent, but sane as well. The sanity criteria obviously went missing some time since Armstrong walked the Moon.

Pascal.

3. Mr D

I wonder how long

until they finish each other off?

NASA or just gun slinging Americans... You decide...

4. David

but the gifted...

tend to be a little out of touch with reality anyway in a lot (not all though) of cases. In some ways the best thing you can do is tag those who might need watching and perhaps a little mentoring, and keep as close an eye as possible on them as you can.

5. Eugene Goodrich

How long? - Maths

If the United States has around 4 million babies born per year, and there's one firearm-related performance-review-based homicide per day, then this won't finish the American population off very quickly. (Due to the small number of days per year.)

One could also add in any number of other types of firearm-related deaths and until that plus heart disease and cancer exceed three million deaths per year, continued population growth is likely.

This topic is closed for new posts.