back to article Microsoft's unveils 'social' phone for Boho hipsters

Is it a Palm Pre, a Sidekick, or an iPhone? No, it's Microsoft's long-awaited mobile phone that borrows from all these, and it's called KIN. On Monday, the company unveiled the KIN One and the KIN Two, its so-called social phones that combine the look of the Pre and the teen-popular Sidekick from Danger and Sharp, with the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. technome

'KIN 'ell...

Who 'KIN dreamt up that 'KIN name?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Am I the only one to see the comedy in this name?

Paris, cos I'm sure she swears at her 'kin phone when someone hacks her 'kin voicemail.

3. Dr Richard

@Also missing is Adobe Systems' Flash and third party applications

Tut, tut. What about choice? No wait, no one needs flash or other badly written 3rd Party apps.

1. dogged

Not a smartphone

This is just another feature phone. Albeit one with a few quirks that may endear it to some markets. Few people complain about Flash missing from LG's Chocolate phones but, oh yes, this one says "Microsoft" on it and so you absolutely must find a reason to snark. I forgot.

4. Tom 91
    Thumb Up

Sounds very good at the right price!

Sounds rather ideal for a certain age group who want a cheapish phone that lets them quickly upload their hundreds of pictures and videos. I mean a lot of people of the right age group pretty much just want a phone to do their social networking, take phone calls and take pictures so this is pretty much perfect for them.

Not for me but certainly can see a big market if it's priced right (which is free on most contracts and maybe just over £100 (at most) on PayG).

5. Eak
    WTF?

No Flash?!? Cue the outrage...

I'm shocked... Shocked, I tell you, that there are no hysterical Flash fanbois (Flashbois?) screaming their heads off about a lack of Flash and threatening to never buy a Microsoft product again. There's a word for this, people... it begins with an "h" and rhymes with dippocrite.

C'mon Adobe evangelists, don't let me down!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

apples and oranges...

Maybe it's because this is a cheap phone for teenagers to twat each other's mybook uppokes, not a 'serious' (see I can't even omit the inverted commas) smartphone that has had a massive amount of talking-up as the best small object for browsing the web ever and there is NOTHING ON EARTH AS GOOD AS IT. EVER.

Oh, and I expect this will cost about 20% of what the iPhone does.

As usual, if it isn't rabid anti-Iphone bollocks issuing forth, it's rabid fanbois trying to poke the hornet's nest into providing the correct respone.

It's a fucking phone. Are we in any danger of either side getting that tricky fact anytime soon?

1. Chris 2
        Thumb Up

@Tathan Jones

Well said that man.

1. dogged
          Go

Agreed

The line "teenagers to twat each other's mybook uppokes" made me suspect Chris Morris involvement.

2. Craigness
      FAIL

Ultimate

If it were being marketed as the "ultimate browsing experience" then you wouldn't sound like something that rhymes with flat.

3. Tom 35
      Paris Hilton

What no flash?

How will I take photo's in low light?

Paris has been known to flash something from time to time...

6. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Uh oh, Danger 2.0

I never liked the Danger - too many risks for the unwary (which is, face it, most mobile phone users).

No thanks..

7. mafoo
    Thumb Down

looks different to the one they showed on the bbc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8614764.stm

I challenge you to say something good about that handset.

/vommit

8. Flybert
    WTF?

good write up ...

"... a home screen that sucks in Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and Microsoft ... "

thanks for the warning

9. Richard Jukes

Whats that Mr Jones?

Whats that Tathan Jones? You actually want a phone that can easily be used as a phone? Denied! Everyone now knows that phones are not for voice calls. They are gateways to the interweb.

Nokia 6310 ftw.

10. jonathan keith
    Gates Halo

Subs, please check.

"Running under the covers is Windows 7"

I would think this fact alone would deserve a headline of it's own, don't you?

11. SlabMan

Me-too phone in a crowded market

A crowded market in which they are encouraging other manufacturers to partner with them to sell Windows Mobile. Now they are competing with those same partners.

If the Kin's price is not competitive, it won't sell. If it undercuts partners, the partners will cut costs by using Android for free rather than licensing Windows Mobile. In which case Windows Mobile either has to become free, or MS has to pay partners to use it.

This is all way too confusing for simple non-MBAs like me to figure out.

12. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like