back to article King of the geeks leaves Oracle

Oracle's chief technology officer James Gosling, inherited from the take over of Sun, is leaving the company. In a cryptic blog post Gosling said: "The rumours are true: I resigned from Oracle a week ago (April 2nd)." The blog is mostly down at the time of writing. He said: "As to why I left, it's difficult to answer: Just …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 47
    Thumb Up

Tester Role

We're hiring. He may need to relocate to Bangalore

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

Bangalore?

Don't forget the Imodium...

Anyway, with wage inflation the way it is in Bangalore at the moment they'll soon be outsourcing to the cheap labour in California (you think I'm kidding?)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

.title

"What is less certain is where this leaves the development of Java now that it's lost one of its loudest supporting voices"

Dead, hopefully

Gravestone, just replace REG with JAVA

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Stop

RE: .title

".....Dead, hopefully...." Well, I hope not! There's far too many cross-platform apps written in the stuff which we're forced to use. I'd like it if they made it a darn sight faster.... and a lot less bloated... and not need updating every other week. But not dead. I was kinda hoping Oracle would give the whole Java mess some direction, so I suppose that will mean upsetting some of the old hands.

2. Ioannis Mavroukakis
      Grenade

Troll alert

Bitter, much?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Java

IBM will take over the reins if Sun want to abandon Java.

No one is irreplaceable.

Apart from Steve Jobs.

Glass is half full.

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Self employed creates whatever you want when it's good, ...

.... and whatever everyone else wants when it's great. And that generates millions and billions and trillions.

"Gosling did not reveal what his next job or project would be, but said he would take some time off before he began job hunting."

Can he not start up something fabulous on his own with others like minded and do something amazing, or is he just a desk jockey type to do as he's told rather than able to do as he wants?

1. Youngone Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Disappointing

This post is not up to the usual amanfrommars post as I understood most of it. None of it really made sense, but at least some of the sentences used conventional grammatical conventions.

1. Anon the mouse

Is this title okay?

He might have become ill.... Mars is terrible this time of year.

5. Patrick O'Reilly

GO! Go! go!

Maybe he could join Ken Thompson over at Google on their new language, GO

<insert non existent google icon>

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

gosling returns to Canada

A snow goose then.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Deliverables

Maybe he panicked after Oracle management asked him to be productive.

At Sun all he ever did was sit in his ivory tower and try to replicate every popular application written in C into another one of his badly written Java knock offs.

Every so often management would box him up and send him to a conference as a geek curiosity.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

QT, GTK, Juce, wxWidgets, etc

"Well, I hope not! There's far too many cross-platform apps written in the stuff which we're forced to use."

Good platform-neutral programs are done with a platform-independent (GUI) libraries like QT or GTK or many others.

There is also Mozilla's XULRunner framework, which is the foundation of Firefox.

Java is a huge failure and not an innovation. Everything large&serious must still be done in C++, Pascal, Fortran or some other ALGOL-like, compiled language. Forget GC & VM - a waste of memory and time.

1. Tom Samplonius
      WTF?

You lost me at Pascal...

@jlocke: "Java is a huge failure and not an innovation. Everything large&serious must still be done in C++, Pascal, Fortran or some other ALGOL-like, compiled language. Forget GC & VM - a waste of memory and time."

I thought this might be a serious post, until you got to Pascal. No one writes anything in Pascal anymore. And Fortran isn't far behind, but some Fortran programs are still used in niches.

2. DuTchie

You obviously have never done any large and serious coding

"Java is a huge failure and not an innovation. Everything large&serious must still be done in C++, Pascal, Fortran or some other ALGOL-like, compiled language"

You obviously have never done any large and serious coding to make such a sweeping statement.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Pascal?

Are you a quiche eater?!?

9. gimbal
    Linux

I wonder

how it'll affect the open-source Java community? I get the impression that the supposed reigns at the lead of future Java development would fall, by default, to the hands of whom, perhaps primarily, since this Oracle buyout. and now that Java's chiefs are hopping off the OracleSun ship.

I just hope they keep it professional enough for it to stay afloat.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Mother Of Java ?

I am guessing who the mother was.

This one ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloth

Nah, too pretty.

Maybe

http://www.ilovemyjournal.com/media/1/Nacktmull.jpg

or probably this one:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ckBlasgNSzg/SY9_ERgPxuI/AAAAAAAALFE/Q8NbQTx2-oA/s1600-h/Blobfish.jpg

Or was it actually Paris Hilton's invention ? That would explain a lot.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

@jlocke

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloth"

Ahhhhhhhhhh. So cute. And the near ideal pet for busy IT staff with smallish apartments.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

"Noone writes anything in Pascal anymore"

Skype, for example? Quest SQL Navigator and Toad for Oracle? Installaware? Ares Galaxy? PortableApps launcher?

Just to name a few...

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@You obviously have never done any large and serious coding

What does qualify as "serious" ? A Compiler/Translator of 12K lines, maybe ?

If yes, look at

http://sappeur.googlecode.com

Its very, very fast and done in C++. I have some serious doubt you can do the same in Java or .Net.

All the Java stuff I must use is sllllooowwww and memory-devouring. VS2010 apparently consumes RAM like crazy, as it is done in .Net.

I bet all the stuff you use to surf the internet, look at videos, write office documents is done in - TATA- C or C++.

When you have finished that Photoshop clone in Java, please call back. And waiting a minute for a rescale that takes two seconds for the C version does not qualify.

Regarding Pascal and Fortran; they ARE still in many ways better than C++ and certainly Java. Small, fast and easy to optimize automatically, namely. Delphi (the best Pascal compiler) compiles huge programs in seconds and the resulting executables are also very fast.

There was a time the majority of the world's population adopted Communism until they realized it was not a good idea. Same with Java.

13. da_fish27

Downvote me if you must, ...

... but king of geeks, father of Java??

14. Peter Ford

Java *is* good

Or at least the language is - it's what C++ really should hve been.

The problem is the implementation with VMs...

If it was compiled properly it would fly the same as C++

Anyway, isn't Flash essentially Java? That seems pretty popular.

1. Sandtreader
      Boffin

Stack allocation

Java has a fundamental limit to its speed - even if compiled - which is that it doesn't have stack / automatic / scope allocation - all objects are on the heap. It also means it can't support RAII (Google).

ActionScript in Flash is based on the same core (ECMAScript) as Java*Script* - not related to Java in any way but name.

15. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

VMs and garbage collection get in the way

of speed, but then speed is not always needed. Very often programs spend most time waiting for user responses. Java is OK then. Just do not start teaching in Java, as the kids never learn how to TIDY UP THEIR MESS!!! Once they can program properly in C (or even Pascal), and know how linked list work from the inside out, they can be allowed to use prefab code available in Java.

When processing gigapixel and terapixel images, I really need to go to C(++) or similar. Java actually is not the worst: scripting languages are the real killers. I have seen some dismal attempts at processing SERIOUS amounts of text in python. What python does in days C does in minutes. Result: a 16 core machine is constantly chugging away with 16 python jobs which could have been finished WEEKS ago, meaning I cannot test my efficient parallel C-code on this machine (BLEH).

Python and the like are great for prototyping and stringing together bits of compiled C code in a flexible way, just do not process ARRAYs of real data.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@Stack allocation

That is just one important aspect. Another is that heap-allocated objects are dormant and eating RAM until the next GC run. My guess is that most Java programs have 70% of their RAM consumed by discarded String objects.

A C++ program uses Smartpointers for that and as soon as the String is no longer needed, the memory is reclaimed.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suggest he be replaced by the Queen of the Geeks

http://www.lovelymeganfox.com/article.asp?articleid=66217&Megan-Fox-Crowned-Queen-of-the-Geeks

18. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison is a WANKER.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@wanker

I am sure he has so much money that a large number of women would help him with that. Improbable.

As a first start, why not Paris.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wanker's Wife

I bet *you* would want to be a wanker if she were to be your wife:

http://www.melaniecraft.com/

Yeah, that's Larry's wife.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More Wanker Wife Images

http://valleywag.gawker.com/5056420/the-15-hottest-ceo-wives

22. wsm

What is an executive, anyway?

Without anyone to "execute" what will he be? If he were really any good, he wouldn't need Oracle to prop up his position.

If he doesn't get his own company going to produce something worthwhile, he will be just another has-been in the history of dead (programming) languages.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@wsm

Maybe Larry conspires with other execs to pay the good wages of programmers who otherwise could not make a living ?

Because they are unable to sell italian ice cream to tourists in a lonely desert village.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like