back to article Popular Facebook game caught serving malvertisements

A Facebook game with more than 9 million users has been caught serving ads that try to trick viewers into installing malware. Hundreds of users of Farm Town have reported seeing the ads, which falsely claim the user's PC is infected and can only be fixed by buying and running the anti-virus software being advertised, according …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Adverts? What adverts?

Firefox and ABP works for me.

Paris, 'cos she's had her fair share of unauthorised access.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Lame

Posting that sort of thing is as lame as posting this in a sniggering tone:

> Viruses? What Viruses?

> I run [insert obscure linux distro]. Works for me.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

ABP & FF

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I seriously thought in the age of Bluray we would get past that broken record...

2. J. Cook Silver badge
    Troll

I've got one better...

Also known as "I'll take 'color me unsurprised' for $500, Alex"- This story does not surprise me in he least. I don't bother with the games and amusements on facebook.

or facebook itself all the much, for that matter.

(Full disclosure: I have a facebook account. I don't recall the last time I actually did anything with it.)

3. Fluffykins Silver badge

Why serve tainted ads up willy nilly

With behavioural advertising, you could just catch the suckers.

4. Maverick
    Thumb Down

greasemonkey

and some good user scripts sorts this (plus all the usual FF protections)

PS "Farm Town developer SlashKey warned users to ignore the ads but failed to suspend third-party adverts"

and do you REALLY think that the developers give a flying f**k about this? robbing sc*m bags the lots of 'em

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Pharming

These guys certainly know their likely clientèle.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well whaddya know

Facebook, as much as I despise the rank stupidity that it exhales, just might turn out to be useful after all.

As an experience in managing large hordes of idiots continuously assaulted by large hordes of malfeasants, that is.

I look forward to more accounts of how Facebook gets hacked in various ways, what solutions are found and how many people that obnoxious 'bitch' kid manages to piss off in the process.

This topic is closed for new posts.