back to article Russian trade body aims to fight cybercrime

Russia is not a safe haven for criminals or spammers, according to a Russian trade association campaigning to tighten up the admitted shortcomings of local cybercrime laws and build international cooperation. The Russian Association of Electronic Communications was established in 2006 to speed Russia’s integration into the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I'd guess that...

... no skilled professional wants to enter into a life of crime and criminality but if the choices are or include: minimum legal wage with poor quality of life compared to big merc, 4 or 5 overseas holidays every year.

Well, well, well?

2. Richard Porter
    Thumb Up

Bout time too.

I'm fed up with Russian spammers trying to register on my forum. They don't succeed because they invariably fail email verification but it's a pain having to delete the partial registrations. The email addresses given are either .ru or gmail.com. I've now blocked registration by guests. Genuine applicants contact me by email.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

In Other News

..the International Association Of Pigs have announced their plans to mount wings and start flying.

Also, the club of former KGB officers are now part of Amnesty International.

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

House of the Rising Sun and Virtual Terrain Team Territory for InterNetional Space Stations.

The Money Shot Question though is .... Is it a Shangri La for Crack Coders and ZerodDay Traders? And whom would One contact to Explore the Opportunities and Possibilities in making Outrageous Virtual Fortunes to Benefit All ........ which is very Sociable in a Capitalistic Way too and who could say IT would not Provide an Unstoppable Lead from the Beautifully Mysterious East. .... and to those with experience, you will not hear them disagree with these few lines of a national anthem ........

"Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out

They leave the west behind

And Moscow girls make me sing and shout

They Georgia's always on my my my my my my my my my mind"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

The longest journey...

...begins with a single step. They have a long haul ahead. Tightening up .ru registrations is a nice idea, but probably won't make much difference - any sensible spammer/malware pusher doesn't use .ru anyway, as everyone assumes they're dodgy!

One of our clients recently had their site counterfeited (with added malware) - instead of the actual .org domain they used .com - but the domain was registered in Hong Kong, by someone apparently in the US, hosted in Russia (with an upstream provided in Latvia) and the original site was grabbed via a server in England! Where do you start tackling that?

6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Do you mean the underground digital economy?

"Anywhere between 10,000 - 20,000 people are estimated to work in the underground economy in Russia."

Russia's a big place and presumably the underground economy includes for instance prostitution, which alone surely... don't you think? I mean, not to be vulgar, but in Britain alone I reckon there's more than that.

So I think you mean "the underground digital economy". Or something like that. But what about bootleg music and video, dirty pictures, ...

Maybe you mean the digital fraud "industry"?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Hope They Invest in Beefy Bodyguards

The boys that run the East European cybercrime industry play hardball.

Mine's the kevlar vest...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

"Russia is not a safe haven for criminals or spammers"

Hah! I needed some light humor this morning. Thanks, Russian trade body! You've made my day!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like