back to article Windows mobile Trojan poses as war game

Miscreants have created a Trojaned version of a Windows mobile game that makes expensive international phone calls from compromised smartphones. Pirated versions of 3D Anti-terrorist action, a first-person shooter developed by Beijing Huike Technology in China, and uploaded onto several Windows Mobile freeware download sites, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Player_16
    Jobs Halo

Multitasking.

Oh, that's multitasking.

2. Ben Tasker
    Troll

Serves the fuckers right

Shouldn't have been downloading it illicitly in the first place

Troll, cos thats the point of this post

3. Chris Dickens
    Thumb Up

Better than suing

This seems a better way to deal with piracy than suing people - just make pirate apps cost the users money in another way...

Not that I condone criminals doing it though.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

...and...

...and we wonder why MS is keen to prevent any "unsanctioned" apps onto it's latest OS

(clearly taking a lead from Apple there who have, urm how many expliots in the wild so far? About none)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

oh...

stfu.......

i do recall a article on the register a few weeks back about a exploit on the apple twatphone....

be it a jailbroken one... coz users are fed up of the handcufs

2. M Gale

I have to wonder..

..why someone hasn't done this for the iphone already. So many apps being made for the app store, I don't think whatever review service Apple have is going to cope with a determined effort to get malware in there.

Yeah, it'll get caught/blocked eventually. After how many premium rate calls/texts?

5. Mark Eaton-Park

the answer

Make the telephone service provider confirm verbally that person calling premium rate number is

1. the contract owner

2. of age

They already do this for UK premium rate lines, if the telephone owner cannot be confirmed to be making the call and is aged appropriately then it is not chargable.

remove this profitable loophole for the thieves and the problem goes elsewhere

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Worry not

Fortunately Windows Phone 7 will be locked down as tightly as the iPhone OS (if not even tighter), so this sort of thing shouldn't be a problem in the future.

It's for your own good, people. (It's why you can't have nice things)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: Worry Not

And then I have to pay $0.99 for a stopwatch app from the marketplace, just because Win7 doesn't ship with one? and if they won't ship to Malaysia, woe be with you?

Stinks.

I had to write my own stopwatch app for WinMo 6. Because it doesn't come with any and I refuse to pay monies for something I can code in an hour. What kind of phones doesn't come with a stopwatch app anyway, aside from modern day Symbian and WinMo phones? Even my little sister's old Nokia 6650 has a stopwatch function. But neither my HTC TyTN nor my N97 ships with a stopwatch app.

Use the wristwatch? What kind of computer geek still wears a wristwatch nowadays?

Geek. Because sadly, I'm one.

7. Neil Anderson
    Grenade

Whoops!

Fragged!

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

No free lunch

Download a pirated copy of anything....and you should expect the unexpected.

Self

Shoot

Foot

9. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Perhaps this technique could be used...

...to make FACT self-financing?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like