back to article Austrian takes pickaxe to Street View spymobile

An Austrian old timer could be in a spot of bother with police after he chased a Street View spymobile with a pickaxe, the Austrian Times reports. Google's Orwellian Opels have apparently come out of winter hibernation to continue their invasion of Austria. This didn't go down too well with 70-year-old Hermann Zach, who …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i'd like to say

street view link or it didn't happen

1. Richard 120
      Big Brother

Really?

If it's not on google it doesn't exist?

I didn't realise their plans were that far advanced yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Richard 120

where do _you_ live? don't tell me in the real world. c'mon!

it must be true cause i've seen it on the interweb. and vice versa

2. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Really?

It's worse than that.

If it's not on Google, it *never* existed. Anywhere. Ever.....

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Coat

New to The Reg?

It has to be playmobil

2. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Can't wait

Until these pics go live on streetview

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Flat World?

Austrian, not Australian.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
        Pint

oops!

The bell strikes pub'o'clock...

Thanks, Doc

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

no

No, that would be "estivation"

3. Mark McNeill
      Badgers

word geek

Estivation, not summer hibernation.

4. Wize

They will be good shots

The view from the camera speeding away from a pickaxe wielding nutter before the neighbours bundle on top of him.

5. Mike Hanna
    Big Brother

Imagine

Imagine the wrath if they don't pixelate his face properly

6. Endolf
    Grenade

Winter hibernation?

Hasn't summer just ended down under?

1. Aaron Jacobs
      Headmaster

Geography and reading skills are lacking

That's Austrian not Austrailian.

1. Pete 40
        Headmaster

Spelling skills are lacking

Unless there's a new country called "Austrailia". Of course, maybe there are a lot of trains there.

2. J 3
        Happy

Ouch

Where is the "ironically shot own foot" icon when you need it? It would be perfect for half of this thread...

2. Jim 48
      FAIL

Dib-dob

You'd have thought the names might have been a bit of a give away

3. Annihilator
      FAIL

Down under

*Austria* is the country south-west of Germany...

1. Robert von Knobloch
        Unhappy

##Annihilator

I don't know if you are perhaps from across the pond (and can be excused for imprecision), but Austria is South EAST of Germany. At least when I last looked.

2. Pete 40
        Happy

South-West?

South-East, shurely?

1. JohnG

South-East

Australia is also South-East of Germany - albeit, a bit further away.

3. Hud Dunlap
        Joke

so is Australia

Just a whole lot more southwest

4. richy987
      FAIL

Topography is quite hard, apparently

Let me guess: you're from the States (as I have noticed time and again that the topographical knowledge of the average American is seriously lacking), right? The distance between Austria and Australia is about 15,000 to 20,000 km (just a guess)...

Someone who lives in The Netherlands (which is *not* the capital of Denmark!)...

Now go get your coat and go back to the classroom.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Topography is quite hard, apparently

First, I think you meant geography as topography generally isn't concerned with people or politics. That is topography is concerned only with physical attributes of a space and not the drawing of imaginary lines differentiating my dirt from your dirt.

"Let me guess: you're from the States"

Well it isn't like he'd expect you to know where Teec Nos Pos is. That said, it's true general edjumacation isn't a strong suit here in the states but then what would you expect from an education system based on a government monopoly? Given the constant complaining about poor education, I'm amazed by some peoples desire for a government run health care system. Sure it might work in Denmark! or even The Netherlands ;-) but compare gubbermints and ask yourself if you really want Mitch McConnell or Nancy Pelosi pulling the strings.

2. TeeCee Gold badge

Here's a fine example of this at work.

A colleague once went into a diner in the US of A.

Waitress: <Heavy Drawl> "Gee. I just looove your ack-sent. You must be from Ing-ga-land!"

Colleague: "No, I'm from New Zealand actually".

Waitress: <Smugly> "Gee, doncha know it? I just knew it hadda be somewhere around there!"

Thus were the new rules of geography formed, in which there are only actually two places on the planet. America and "somewhere around England".

1. Mike Flugennock

I have to admit...

...that I often confused a NZ accent for Australian until I heard the two "side-by-side" -- that is, a New Zealander and an Australian in conversation.

As I recall, the NZ accent is a bit "twangier", and they don't "spread out" their vowels quite as much.

3. JShel
        FAIL

Apparently, so is language...

Sorry, but if you want to act superior and smug in pointing out the errors of others, you may want to understand the language you are using in your attempt to belittle them..

GEOGRAPHY is obviously what you should have said. In the US, TOPOGRAPHY relates to the physical features of the land. Geography refers not only to the physical features, but also the geopolitical as well. Not knowing the human construct of Austria, therefore has nothing to do with topography, which in the most general description is topographically mountainous.

Yes, Americans knowledge of the world is pretty lousy, but you demonstrate that being an ass knows no bounds.

And, to finish off in your own tone, I assume you would not mind if I refer to you as a lowlife, since you come from the lowlands?

4. elderlybloke
        IT Angle

Topography ??

I think you mean Geography.

What has happened to education , not like when I was a boy etc.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

RE: Winter hibernation? Austrians Love to BBQ?

"Hasn't summer just ended down under?"

Arnie's Autralian accent is subtle to...

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Call Hollywood

This requires a feature-film adaptation. May I suggest a working title ? Street View Zombies takes my fancy.

1. ravenviz Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Call Hollywood

How about "A Nightmare on Elm Streetview"?

2. Andrew Peake
      Coat

Re Call Hollywood

How about A Street View Car Named Desire?

3. Baskitcaise

Call Hollywood

The Zombies took your fancy what?

Where?

How?

Maybe you can find it on Google maps... Oh...

8. bill 36

dyslexia rools ko

There are no kangaroos in Austria.

It's hardly surprising that some of my mail (the original type) goes missing. It's probably floating in Sydney harbour

1. Eddy Ito
      Coat

But how do you know?

"... my mail (the original type)..."

Could it not have been handwritten?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Keep out of my basement!

...and away from my family" He yells as he gets rid of the intrusive geek mobile.

(I'll get my coat before anyone figures out what I'm implying about Austrians)

1. HFoster
      Thumb Up

LOL!

I'll have to show this post to my colleague!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

BRB..

..basement.

10. Stephen Bungay

I don't understand...

Google is driving around taking pictures... so what? Tourists take pictures all the time... would the elderly gentleman have gone after a tourist snapping photos? I think he would not have, unless he really is a nutter.

Google isn't spying on any one person or group of persons, they are making a ground-level photographic record of what a place looked like at a particular point in time. Imagine if we had this kind of record when the pyramids were being built? Or if you could walk through the streets of London through the ages to see how it has changed?

People are reacting to Google as if they were an arm of the secret service, keeping tabs on their comings and goings, spying on their every move, invading their daily-lives. All of those things might be true of the police-monitored CCTV system in the UK and elsewhere, but IMHO it is certainly not the case with the Google Streetview camera car.

1. Anonymous Vulture
      Flame

Google != Secret Service

Google may not be an arm of the secret service, but they certainly are on more than speaking terms with them. If it was a ground level photographic record of what a place looked like at a particular point in time maintained by say, the British Museum or American Smithsonian? That would be a lot more innocuous than by a company that "wants to know everything about you", and has a vested interested in keeping governments of all different political bents happy.

I'm fairly privacy conscious, and wish the Founders had put something a little more clear into the Constitution with regards to personal privacy. But in an era when you could walk a hundred yards away from others, check the bushes, and be confident of having a private conversation, it probably didn't come up.

2. Eddy Ito

Clearer?

The typical tourist doesn't supply a map to world + dog pointing out those places which might be soft targets for criminal behavior either. I can understand why such an action might provoke a bit of paranoia in people. CCTV on the other hand is the sure sign that paranoia is one of the prime movers in government.

11. gimbal
    FAIL

Yeah, because it's got nothing to do with ...

...illustrating simple street directions. I mean, the man with the pickaxe didn't like it, so clearly It must be political.

What are these people thinking, though? It seems utterly boggling, from here.

12. Peter Murphy
    Pint

I hope the cops let him off with a caution.

It's not behavior to emulate, but neither is it something you throw the book at him for.

Beer - because I'd shout him one.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

and thats before.....

You consider that the "patriot act" allows the US government unfettered access to any data held by a US company, even if that data relates to other countries.

So Google has done the worlds largest data gathering activity on behalf of the US government, and people wonder how they got away with it!

Black Helicopters for obvious reasons

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oztrians

Want to know why Australia has the kangaroos?

Simple, they were given first choice.

1. M Gale
      Badgers

^^WTF?

But they'll be dead soon anyway.

Fucking kangaroos.

15. Alistair Wall
    Headmaster

Kangaroos in Austria

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4813976.stm

16. bexley

topography

actually i think that topography is a perfectly reasonable term to use in describing the american insular societies lack of understanding of the location of those other places that have shit armies and bad food.

I met a speitc a few weeks ago in Belize who told me he hated the UK because we actually ate grilled tomatoes. I was surprised that this was all he could come up with and concluded that he must just be a moron.

from merriam-webster

: the art or practice of graphic delineation in detail usually on maps or charts of natural and man-made features of a place or region especially in a way to show their relative positions and elevations

17. Sam Tana
    WTF?

How the...?

Old Giffer: "I noticed this weird car on the road. I told the driver to make a move but he just didn’t listen. So I grabbed my pickaxe and ran after him."

So let's get this straight.

1: He told Google Guy to move (this suggests Google Mobile was stationary).

2: Google Guy "didn't listen" (this suggests the car remained stationary).

3: Giffer "ran after" the apparently stationary Google Mobile and tried to attack it with a pickaxe.

4: Neighbours subdued Giffer.

5: Somehow, Google are the bad guys in all this?

WTF?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like