back to article Dell Latitude Z

If you want a laptop to impress, then a likely choice is a high-end MacBook rather than an amorphous black box Windows notebook, that looks about as cool as a fridge-freezer. With admiring glances in mind, is Dell's Inspiron Latitude Z, a machine the company is heralding as the thinnest and most stylish 16in laptop around. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. That Awful Puppy
    Thumb Up

At least it's not overpriced like a Mac

I mean, for just 300 quid less, you could buy a Macbook Pro with vastly superior specs, at the expense of an added pound of weight and 4 mm of additional thickness, but a smaller overall footprint.

Yay for Dell!

2. John A Blackley

Pretty

But it's still a Dell.

3. Gordon 10
    FAIL

Having a giraffe

For similar money you can get a vaio Z with better processor (i5/i7), battery life (2-5hrs), better graphics (nvidia), smaller screen 13.1 with higher res (900 or 1080) and lighter (1.4kg) with a built in DVD and QUAD Raid SSD.

Im no Sony fanboi but it eats most other "exec" laptops for brekkie lunch and dinner. And who do you think a badge hungry exec would prefer Sony or Dell?

4. Bruce MacDonald
    WTF?

No compromises?

Erm, no compromises you said? 2 USB ports?

I was waiting for you to say "and another two on the other side" or something, but no ...

No compromises?

Then there's the price: 1800 quid? That's crazy money!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

@ PinkFreud

So your objections to this review are the spelling of the word 'matt' and the use of benchmarks?

Well, I hate to piss on your parade but you can spell matte (my preference it has to be said) in three ways - mat, matt and matte - when talking about a dull or non-reflective surface and all three are equally good so can I suggest that you buy a bloody dictionary before next spouting off?

Next up, how else would you suggest magazines and web sites try to illustrate comparative performance between different machines other than with a system like PCMark Vantage?

On balance I'd day this is a pretty fair review, and I actually have a Latitude Z. OK, it's a company machine so I didn't have to cough up the £1,800 but I've had the thing for four months and so far I am pretty impressed.

In short you sir, are a twit.

6. Kurt 4
    WTF?

no keypad

Business users want a keypad!!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

oh my god...

how much for a laptop that looks like it was designed in 1992 by a blind man???

you are having a laugh, dell where is your head at?

8. Ron1
    FAIL

Review of a 6+ months old machine?

Sorry, but epic fail:

You did not mention Lenovo X301 as an alternative - it does have smaller screen, but not much smaller screen real estate (1440x900), plus a DVD-RW drive & weighs 30% less.

Why you chose to review a laptop released in Sep 09 (and reviewed in Oct 09) only now I do not understand. You did not even test the one innovative feature - induction charging.

Why not rather review the new Latitude E6510 or E6410?

Or perhaps get some info from Dell:

- The E6510 at least has a Full-HD 1920x1080 screen option @15.6"; is this coming to z600 too?

- will there be a Z lineup = 14" z400, 15" z500?

- when will backlit keyboards be available with with Exx10 series in EU?

PS: sorry for this, looks like I have a bad day :)

TGIF!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like