back to article Police IT quango chief to quit

Chief constable Peter Neyroud, the man in charge of the quango running the National DNA Database and other police computer systems, has announced his departure ahead of the election. His retirement comes after criticism of lavish perks enjoyed by senior staff at the National Policing Improvement Agency (NPIA). The agency …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John A Blackley

National police datacentre?

What, apart from designing and failing to implement fanciful IT schemes does this quango do? (I know. Spend our money).

Scrap the whole thing and outsource the datacentre to the Chinese?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In fairness...

They do manage many of their projects much better than most public (and many private) organisations. They also do a fair bit more than IT as far as I'm aware.

Having said that they do need to stop wasting money and focus it on actual projects rather than repairing bridges!

2. Belvedere Mulholland

Can your employer pay your tax?

Off the top of my head - if the taxpayer really pays his income tax bill - I would expect it to be taxable as more income. I can't see why not.

1. William Old
      Megaphone

It's worse than that...

... it gets "grossed-up", so that the balancing payment - after tax - provides the net amount to cover the original tax liability. Otherwise he'd pay tax on the repayment of tax, on which he would pay tax on the repayment of tax... you get the idea.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

You don't get to be a top quangocrat without knowledge

Of when to jump ship that is.

Never fear though. Fat cats don't like going without cream too long.

As for "Police Improvement," how about *not* handing over someone's life history to every ex-plod PI (for a few hundred in a brown envelope) or Lodge brother who gives the old high five.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh come on...

This was a jobs-for-the-boys funny-handshake project from the very beginning. A bit late for those responsible to start whingeing that they "have no confidence". The perks were the POINT of the deal, not some side result - that goes for 99% of quangos. Or did anyone think it was to do with IT?

£5 to a penny Neyroud is either in another quango or some old boys' sinecure job before the ink is dry on his resignation.

5. Is it me?

That Country Estate in HANTS

Is actually Bramshill, the senior officers training college, and the bridge is probably a listed structure.

BTW, it is not in the middle of Basingstoke either, as the Post Code shows it on Google maps.

1. Chris Williams (Written by Reg staff)

Re: That Country Estate in HANTS

Correct, the estate is Bramshill.

The bridge was built by the previous owners, in 1949, and is definitely not a listed structure.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like