back to article Police cuff 70 eBay fraud suspects

Romanian police have arrested 70 suspected cybercrooks, thought to be members of three gangs which allegedly used compromised eBay accounts to run scams. The alleged fraudsters obtained login credentials using phishing scams before using these trusted profiles to tout auctions for non-existent luxury goods (luxury cars, Rolex …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. irish donkey
    Unhappy

Hmmm. must of rippped off somebody important....

When I got ripped off for £25.00 eBay/PayPal and the local Plod were no help at all.

I could have been a relatively easy bust as well, I have the guys address and his signature to say he had received the item but no refund issued! and then left a snippy reply to my negaitive feedback

I guess others people money is worth more than mine.

eBay isn't fun anymore.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ebay

Cant you take a trip to the small claims court??

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

eBay is a dead duck...

A decade ago, I was a regular on eBay, both buying and selling. But after years of them (and PayPal) moving the goalposts to their own advantage at every opportunity, I gave up both buying and selling. Among so many of the people I used to deal with regularly, I get the same story - usage down from daily to once in a blue moon - in my case, never.

IMHO both buying and selling are now so risky they're not worth the candle. Selling - especially smaller items - leaves so little profit after eBay and PayPal have had their fingers in the pie it's a joke. Whatever their claims, eBay is an auction house and PayPal are a bank - and it's time they were both regulated far more rigorously.

eBay have clearly never read the story of the Goose with the Golden Eggs.

3. blackworx
      Headmaster

I'm sorry, it's too painful. I can't let it lie.

"A Solution to the 'Must Of' Problem" by Richard Coates (Abstract):

"It is possible to construct a case for the child's interpretation of "of" in "must of been" as the preposition "of" in the process of language acquisition. ...If the learner eventually acquires standard English and demonstrates this by writing "must have been," he has replaced this earlier grammatical guesswork with a structure more normally and traditionally considered appropriate for the mature standard dialect."

Regards,

A. Pompous Ass (Retd.)

2. fran 2
    FAIL

what

class of an idiot buys an aircraft from ebay

1. frank ly
      Stop

Don't be cynical

I've got a WW2 Lancaster bomber for sale on e-bay. It's parked on the moon so it's 'buyer collect'. Are you interested? Bidding is up to £2500 so far and the auction ends on Friday, so hurry.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Huh?

People still use eBay?

1. Apocalypse Later

Yes

Not as much, but yes. Some proper businesses (like Argos) use it for clearance, and you can get quite good bargains. It is also a last resort source for items no longer stocked by proper retailers, and a good searchable database for finding out the street price for many items.

Stop complaining about the eBay fees, and sign up for TopCashback (completely free). You can then get a 40% cut of what eBay charges the sellers of anything you buy. Also big cashback payments for many other things, notably car insurance and mobile phones. I've had hundreds of quid from this.

Linky: http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/LongPockets

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

"The 800 victims of the scam..."

"Are believed to be extremely gullible and thought that spending vast sums of cash on eBay internationally was a good idea."

The old saying "If it's too good to be true, it probably is" comes to mind.

Who on earth buys a luxury car or recreational aircraft on eBay?

Another old saying seems relevant: "There's a sucker born every minute."

1. Apocalypse Later

Internationally not

The article says the scammers phished other people's eBay accounts, so they would have appeared to be legitimate sellers in whatever country the phished account was in, probably with a good feedback record from the original account holder's legitimate activities.

Still not a good idea to part with enormous amounts of money for an item you haven't even seen, of course.

5. Uplink
    Happy

Something you don't see

Something you won't see in the Daily Mail any time soon. Because these guys don't live in a shed of a model (with a brother doing modelling as well) who drinks regular Coke (i.e. not diet!).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

One born every minute

On three separate occasions I have stopped a friend at work from buying "brand new, genuine" GHD hair straighteners on eBay. The response is always "ooh you're so clever, I would never have spotted that, how did you know?" shortly followed by the classics "why would anyone be so nasty?" and "why do eBay let them get away with it?"

Next time I'm just going to let her pull the trigger.

7. Beau
    Alert

So What!!

Every Con Man looks for a greedy people, they are the easiest marks.

I use eBay regularly, to buy easy to check items at a very reasonable prices, never had a much in the way of problems. I always stay well clear of the super deals, and have never spent more than about €700.00 at a time.

So be careful, and just don't be GREEDY!!

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Grenade

What plonker and lying bastard says things are getting better and the world has been saved?

Perhaps we should send in the Romanian Police and FBI to haul away the criminals in this much bigger and more dangerous fraud ....... http://www.zerohedge.com/article/latest-gold-fraud-bombshell-canadas-only-bullion-bank-gold-vault-practically-empty .... although you might need a few more jails to put them in, for it is probably a global systemic scam which is also endemic.

9. RW
    Go

Ecological niches

They exist in commerce too, and Ebay, in its drive to convert itself into a fixed-price overstock/firesale/end-of-line emporium, has abandoned the niche it once had a monopoly in.

Build a system that works like Ebay did back in, say, 1997, be satisfied with a large stream of small payments, and the punters will beat down your doors.

10. mky
    Pint

to eBay or not...

I have made hundreds of purchases and sales on eBay. I have found what i wanted, and paid what i was willing. eBay still provides a service I use. Admittedly, I do not use it as much as I have in the past.

The most expensive purchase I made was a 40' cargo container for $800. A phenomenal price no matter how you slice it. That said, I do not think I would put that much cash on the line again, nor do I believe you will find deals like that now.

1. VulcanV5

eBay: essential for everyone buying 40' cargo containers

And I'm not being sarky, either.

eBay / Paypal (they're one and the same, of course) don't provide any protection against fraud when it comes to bulky items too big to ship.

Want to make some money fast? (1) Purchase a 40' cargo container on eBay and arrange for its collection. (2) Sell it on. (3) Contact eBay / Paypal to say item never received. (4) Wait for eBay / Paypal to get proof of tracked posting from the seller and then, because no such proof can be forthcoming, sit back for your refund of all monies paid.

Of course, this works with lots of things other than 40' cargo containers: if it's not postable, then it ain't trackable, and if it ain't trackable, well. . . Quids in.

I'm led to believe this strategy will be employed by ZanuLabour if Brown & Co are re-elected as a way of accumulating funds to pay off some of the national debt they've incurred.

11. Philip Cohen
    FAIL

eBay/PayPal: Dead Men Walking

“Tiffany & Co and eBay Continue to Battle Over Infringement”

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/media/tiffany--ebay-continue-battle-infringement/

“EBay argued to the court that it has spent as much as $20 million annually to rid the site of fraud, including buyer protection programs and employees whose sole job is to monitor infringement issues.”

And is not that the nub of the problem? eBay is spending (only) $20 million annually to rid the site of “fraud, including buyer protection programs and employees whose sole job is to monitor infringement issues”.

On his way to virtually bringing the eBay marketplace to its knees, one person—the eBafia Don himself—was effectively taking home $20 million annually—and still we can’t get rid of him either …

Let’s face it, anything to do with “customer support” is an expense that the bean-counting toads at eBay have little intention of incurring. And, I keep wondering when they are going to pay stockholders a dividend out of all that cash they supposedly have stashed away overseas. Or is this whole business simply a short-term “pump and dump” exercise for the benefit of the options-holding executives?

For those with a longer attention span, an evening’s entertainment of details and facts on eBay’s deliberate facilitating of wire fraud on its consumers world wide and a list of links to a number of PayPal horror stories is contained in my post at:

http://www.auctionbytes.com/forum/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=6502877

eBay/PayPal: Dead Men Walking

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like