back to article CA to axe 1,000 jobs

CA is laying off 1,000 workers and expects to take a $50m hit in pre-tax charges relating to the jobs cull. The business software maker said in a US Securities and Exchange Commission filing today that its board had approved the painful company rejig last week. The jobs will go by 2011. The news sent CA shares down six per …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

100 percent would be even better

...as a lot of people would be spared horrible software.

2. Alan Esworthy

current head count?

Knowing the current employee base would make understanding the effect of a reduction by 1,000 a bit easier. Not knowing it makes this item rather pointless.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Whatever happened ?

I worked for a company that specified, in it's technical standards, that CA's Ingres was the preferred database (over Oracle etc.). OK, this was in the early 1990s but hey, they had a chance to do well way back then...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Reaper weeper

Perhaps a take over of AOL is in the offing.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@Whatever happened ?

Maybe that was before Ingres was bought by CA ?

All the CA I have so far used was s**t. Currently I use a version control system of CA and it has a strange GUI, strange usage metaphor (including locking) and is in general much, much retarded and sllloooowwww as compared to even CVS.

They call it "Harvest", but "Plague" would be a better term.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Alan & jlocke

As a former CA person whose position was (euphemistically) eliminated in January, the head count was ~13,000 at that time. I am certain that some former colleagues of mine will be joining me in being former CA people. Their RCS software _is_ garbage, yet corporate insisted on everyone internally using Harvest instead of using something that works - thinking Subversion or Perforce. This was because Harvest runs on a mainframe, was CA's, and after all CA "is a mainframe company." What a bunch of tossers. Unfortunately there are a lot of good people stuck at CA because the US economy is in the crapper thanks to obamanation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

thanks to obamanation.

There goes your credibility.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Completely Annoying

In the past 15 years, I can't think of a single piece of software that CA wrote (or shoehorned into their library) that didn't add bloat, cause assorted funkiness or simply didn't suck.

8. kwikbreaks
    Thumb Up

CA really helped my career...

They made me redundant in 1995. Best thing that ever happened - I absolutely hated CA and their business ethics (or lack thereof) but I'd never have had the guts to go move on without being forced.

To the 1,000 going - look upon this as an opportunity. At least you won't have to lie or mumble if anybody asks who you work for.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Obamanation?

Good point AC. The US economy was looking so strong before Obama came along.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

The CA business model

1) Find a market (preferably mainframe)

2) Identify all the key players

3) Start buying them up 1 by one.

4) Implement "Ratioalisation" IE fire developers, close offices and move the survivors to your main office.

5)Fold each one into your monster "manage everything" enterprise management system

6)Visit all your newly acquired customers and "renegotiate" IE raise their licensing fees, unless they have other CA products, in which case jack them up even more.

7) Count the money.

This is how CA became one of the largest software companies almost no one has ever heard of. I always wondered why the corporate dress code did not include grey suites, to match the large fin on their staffs backs.

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Eat your own poo

Aye, I remember the change to using CA's own software to run the business and the money pit that was created in an attempt to get everyone over to CA's newly acquired (at the time) time management system. It's a shame this didn't then generate re-development of the software but then there weren't any developers to do so, internal IT policies favouring the high-turnover staff outsourced in India and other countries (with little time overlap for management to take control).

Ah well. I recall Sanjay saying everyone was a sales person first and foremost. He was probably right but only because there wasn't a decent sales force that I can speak having all been culled XD

This topic is closed for new posts.