back to article Church slams cathedral gun battle game's Bafta nomination

The Church of England is pleading with the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (Bafta) to remove PlayStation 3 game Resistance: Fall of Man (RFOM) from its Video Games Awards because the game depicts the alleged desecration of Manchester Cathedral. RFOM_screenshot Sony's RFOM: a shoot-out in Manchester Cathedral …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

at last

we, can, I guess, hope that one day reality mirrors fiction

Not that I have anything in particular with Manchester. But its as good a church as any to start with.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No connection

After all, your chances of survival in a 1950s Earth overrun by flesh-eating, body-snatching, stomach-churning, lip-smackin' aliens are much higher than your chances in contemporary Manchester.

4. Gildas

The relevance of the church today...

With all the problems Manchester has with youth and gun related crime it's good to see the church going that extra mile to make itself look truly out of touch and ridiculous in the eyes of the city's youth.

5. yeah, right.
    Dead Vulture

@ above

The above four comments cover the gist of what I was about to say. So I'll just add a hearty <AOL>Me too</AOL> instead.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How Odd

A church that can't separate fantasy from reality.

7. Jacob Reid
    Thumb Down

Religious nutters again...

Do they ever shut up?

If they want to get back at sony, maybe they should make a shooter based in sony's offices where the aim is to kill the RFOM development team. Oh wait, I forgot, they are anti-everything.

8. Lukin Brewer
    Jobs Halo

Mmmm...

...sacrilicious.

And heavens, those are some tasty graphics! May BAFTA reach their last judgment on merit, uninfluenced by the C of E. Look to the cannon in the player character's hands, not the canons of the church.

p.s. Does this game have a God mode?

p.p.s. All right, I'll get my surplice.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Violence in churches??

Well bugger me, they play games but don't watch movies?

Start with the Omen. Something actually scary, unlike the weak, ineffectual PS3 game; and the Good Guys don't win...

Even Arny features in a church, in End of Days.

Or is it just landmark cathedrals? The Quartermass Experiment?

Ok clutching at straws but it's all a load of tosh. It's not as if the game features you shooting up holy icons is it. Besides which, Churches are great examples of wealth from a time when people in the country were starving and being persecuted by onslaught Christianity. Hail the Papal coffers.

On a seperate matter, if you want to host a P2P service, maybe declaring your home a Church will give you the excuse you need....

http://erlc.com/article/for-churches-copyright-is-the-right-thing-to-do

Funny how they defend themselves so vehemently, yet are arrogant to the point that they don't think Common Law applies to them... Time changes little.

10. Dam

Protection racket woooo

For those of you that didn't read the earlier news about this story:

The Church is AWFULLY offended, except is Sony sponsors they youth brainwa... err training programme.

If they do, obviously the outrage is much lessened isn't it ?

The game no longer depicts aliens in a cathedral, but a Bronze Sponsor's views on what the past may or may not have been...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What next

Ban a game for being in a church that is unrealistic (aliens)

what about.

Medal of honour airborne and band of brothers road to hill 30 for their "Defend the church levels in a WW2 setting"

Dawn of war for the level where you have to blow the doors to the cathedral and kill all the heretics.

Or the Battlefield 2 level that takes place round a mosque.

Oh wait they are all somehow defending the ancient belief system. Ahhh hipocracy in the church.

Well at least they aren't calling for a jihad or fatwa like some tolerant faiths out there.

12. Richard Scratcher
    Gates Horns

Shoot 'em in the apse, kick 'em in the cloisters

I don't think churches are the best venue for "shoot-em-up" games. And Manchester's cathedral is tiny compared to others. It has a simple layout which would hardly be the stuff of BAFTA winning games.

For a few pounds the designers could take a tour of Buckingham Palace or Conw[a]y Castle. They'd be good settings for a game.

What about being surrounded by zombies in the Trafford Centre? No..wait.. that's already been done.

13. Pascal Monett Silver badge

What, again ?

They were already offended last month, weren't they ? And we already laughed them off the stage then.

They're coming back for more ? What, did they think we gave them an encore ?

We didn't. And I am sick of hearing about religious fanatics, be they on my side or any other. Stay away from me, you nutters. You're the reason there is all the killing in this world, and you complain about some fantasy slaughtering in a church ?

Hypocrisy at its best.

14. Colin Jackson
    Coat

Careful now!

Down with this sort of thing!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Funny

At least they're not afraid to use murder simulators to attract new members.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/08/whalo108.xml

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like