back to article Ofcom lays out £400m plans for 2010

UK regulator Ofcom intends to spend the next couple of years figuring out why some of us aren't connected, and ensuring that the Olympics are. The Ofcom Annual Plan 2010/11 (pdf) explains how the regulator, whose remit covers everything from children's television to aircraft radios, intends to spend its £400m+ budget over the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jacqui Smith's DVD Collection!

at least until it gets downsized by the incoming Conservative government. ®

Asuming we wont all be struck down with a case of common sense. ;)

2. Danny 14
    Pint

fucking olympics

Biggest waste of my hard earned tax dollars. Pisses me right off when I see seb coe touting how great it will be for everyone. Fuck that noise, like it is going to make hide nor hair difference up here north of the border.

Damn I need a drink. Is it pub oclock time yet?

1. leakyPC
      Coat

Dollars?

Dollars, I am guessing if you are being taxed in Dollars you are not contributing at all to the Olympic tax.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I second that

And I live roughly 50m away from the site.

Actually, it's quite fun watching them build it all. It's all a bit HG Wells, with the towering cranes and the bomb^construction sites. Could do without the CCTV staring at my flat though. I've returned the compliment by parading around in my knickers all day long.

3. Nigel Callaghan
    Thumb Down

Olympics?

What has providing wireless for the Olympics (R)(TM(C) got to do with Ofcom? The Olympics (R)(TM(C) are just another sports event, albeit a ridiculously big, and insanely expensive one, that will do untold damage to British sport and cultural provision for years to come. If existing WiFi coverage in the area is inadequate for their needs then the organisers need to make the appropriate arrangements with the various providers to upgrade the service, at their expense. Purely a commercial matter, nowt to do with Ofcom or anyone else.

And anyway, why does someone running a marathon or swimming 100m actually need WiFi?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Isnt it obvious why wifi is needed

People running a marathon dont, but people watching need it for when one of the runners pulls over to the side and has a dump. With 100% wifi access the footage can be uploaded to youtube just seconds after it has happend

4. TheCynic
    Black Helicopters

if the wanted to do something good

Remove the link between having a voice line and internet services.

I may want to use just my mobile for voice comms so why do I need to get a voice line from BT/whoever to get Adsl...

1. Alan W. Rateliff, II
      Paris Hilton

If you find a way to make that happen...

Share how you did it with your Yank friends. We have been bitching about this for years over here, and supposedly some telcos will "unbundle" the ADSL from a voice line, giving you a "dry pair" of copper with no dial tone.

Not anywhere I am, though. But I fear it will not matter as cable Internet services are beginning to tromp all over the old copper-pair providers in everything but support. Yeah, call ComCast residential services some time. Either they make you feel like an idiot or they will enrage you to the point of a coronary. Okay, to be fair, every once in a while you might find a shining star so bright you absolutely must speak to a supervisor to exclaim your surprise at receiving quality service.

Paris, unbundled surprise.

5. Duckorange
    FAIL

High speed broadband for the Olympics

Oh, how we laughed down in Dorset when we heard the plans to install high speed broadband for the Olympic Yachting in Weymouth & Portland.

Yes, we're going to be wired in with something faster than the bits of old string and old coat hangers we've got at the moment. But as soon as the circus leaves, they're rolling it all up and taking it back to That London.

Cheers for that, Sebby.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'as soon as the circus leaves, they're rolling it all up and taking it back to That London.'

It's probably just as well. You'd only use it for googling pictures of sheep and visiting the archers homepage.

2. Alan W. Rateliff, II
      Paris Hilton

How fast is that, exactly?

I believe you can get 300bps on a tin can and twine arrangement. If I can get hold of another acoustic modem coupler, I plan to prove it.

Paris, arrange with twine.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Geez Ofcom would you like a clue for free?

Hey Ofcom,

why don't you go deal with punters complaints (vs. dropping over the walls) and send me the £400m to connect you up.

Ever heard of Telehouse East -- it's a BIG building by the Reuters Bldg East India area where 1/2 of London's fibre goes through? I'll even carry the fibre to your head-in, terminate and provision it for you.

Job done

7. Harry

"why do I need to get a voice line"

Yes, why indeed.

Of course, you have to have the *line* (unless you're getting wireless broadband) but there's no reason (apart from why you should compulsorily have to pay for the *voice* part.

Lines cost money to provide and maintain, so the rental cost isn't going to go away, indeed I get the impression it has gone up more than should be necessary over the last few years. *BUT* there is absolutely no reason why the user shouldn't have the *choice* between free bundled calls and a free basic broadband service.

I reckon if Ofcom was competent and insisted on giving proper choice, we could choose a limited 12Gb/year broadband service (enough for email and occasional web browsing) as an optional alternative to having free outgoing calls on the line.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like