back to article Boeing robo-chopper for DARPA's super-spyeye

Arms'n'airliners behemoth Boeing has announced that its autonomous robotic stealth chopper, the A160T, will be the initial carrying platform for a new US airborne surveillance payload. The radical new spy system will not be so much an aerial camera as an all-seeing insect-style compound bugeye able to simultaneously look at many …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. laird cummings
    Jobs Horns

Great.

The Black Helicopter just left tinfoil hat territory.

2. James Pickett

Gigapixels

Worth shooting down one of these, just for the camera, I'd have thought...

FWIW, I think they're missing a trick. The chopper is moving in something approximating a straight line, so the camera only needs to view a wide but thin line across the path, as with a desktop scanner, but on a larger scale. Still, that might save money, and we wouldn't want the military doing anything on the cheap...

3. laird cummings

@linear image strips

Long footprint imaging isn't the pint here - that's old news, has been done for half a century and more. The problem being addressed here is real-time monitoring, which strip scans won't solve - A strip scan still only looks at one thing at a time, albeit over a long period of time and distance. What this is doing is continuous monitoring of multiple discrete locations simultaneously.

4. Angus
    Joke

Hmm how about..

Voyeur

Vehicle for cOvert YankEe Udder peRving

I am sure there must be lots of others. :)

5. Alan Edwards
    Coat

Fit an acronym to the name

Argus is a demon from Greek myth who had a hundred eyes, so it's a good name for this platform.

Hence the name of the Argus Array from Star Trek:TNG, which was a space-based observatory with many observation modules.

Alan.

This topic is closed for new posts.