back to article Cost cutting - from desktop to toilet

Recently, we shared some preliminary results from our annual x86 enterprise user survey. The topic of that article was the economy, and what it’s done to our survey respondents’ 2010 IT budgets. You can see that article here and take the survey yourself here. Now we’re taking a look at a sampling of the qualitative answers we …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. K
    FAIL

RE: IT guy is a part timer, and spendthrift

The solution here is simple, you should have stepped and showed everybody how its done.. Or did you try and fail?

2. Donovan Hill
    Grenade

We did have toilet paper

We had toilet paper and paper towels (which were switched to a regular towel). However, one unlucky schmuck had the privilege of cleaning the washroom and vacuuming the office (single room with 6 guys at one point).

I think I did the cleaning once, maybe twice. The last time it was "my turn" was during my 2 weeks notice. Needless to say, I didn't do the cleaning that week. I think I still owe them $10 for missing my turn.

3. Eddy Ito

Guess I'm lucky

Damn, here I thought dealing with the SAP server connected via ISDN, reasoning along the lines of "we've done it this way for 35 years" and a printer that had to be adjusted for paper thickness variations between lots was lame. But hey, toilet paper and coffee, albeit rank, we had.

4. JC 2
    Unhappy

It'll Get Worse Before It Gets Better

With all the greentards in the world gathering up steam I'd imagine it won't be long until it's commonplace for companies to require you supply your own laptop to work on all day and run it off the battery you must charge at home.

5. Doug Glass
    Go

So? What's Your Point?

If you're going to take their money, do the work they give you. Can't hack it? Leave.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

We did have toilet paper...

I remember a few years ago, when the government agency I worked for at the time had another of their annual budget shortfalls, and we were not allowed to buy toilet paper or paper towels from our regular supplier... We had to order both from our district office, which somehow had a virtually unlimited supply, but would only send one case at a time. The trouble was, both the toilet paper and the paper towels did not fit the dispensers we had in the restrooms. The toilet paper we got from the district was the jumbo rolls, and our dispensers would only hold the standard (household size) rolls. The paper towels were the C-fold style, and we had roll dispensers... This lasted for about two months, until the new fiscal year started, and we were able to order the "right" types again.

FAIL, because that government agency is still in trouble...

1. David McMahon
      Joke

joke

Seems "the man" is sticking to himself?

Am I on a blacklist yet?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Toilet paper!

I thought employers were under legal obligation to provide basic hygiene essentials like toilet paper?

Coffee I can understand in a twisted 'Financial Director' sort of logic, but toilet paper?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like