back to article Microsoft teams with Google in name of privacy

Search rivals Microsoft and Google have joined a coalition to simplify and clarify US law to protect the online privacy of netizens from government snooping. The companies have teamed with more than 20 other technology providers and lobby groups from the right and left of US politics to update a US privacy law that's being …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IF?

If Google, Microsoft et al are concerned about privacy, why collect so much data in the first place.

If they were really concerned about privacy, why then go on and sell the same data?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

actually

american privacy laws are already much tighter than here in the UK. But only if you're an american citizen. If not, then they are legally allowed to spy on everything of yours that passes through american pipes or lands on american servers.

ssl to gmail/hotmail doesn't sound quite as safe when you know secret service goons can access all your communications at will once it's on the server.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: actually

Swings and roundabouts really.

I wonder just how on message Google, MS and others would be were the US thinking of addressing data access for businesses rather than just government agencies? You know, something like the sort of Data Protection legislation kicking around in Europe with penalties for leaking private data, control over what you may and may not hold, a prohibition on giving / selling it to world + dog without the permission of the data owner, etc?

IIRC that the current situation across the pond is that if a company leaks sensitive personal data, only certain states oblige it to even bother telling anyone. I never cease to be amazed at the Yank obsession with what power their government has over them while they happily let the corporate world get away with murder.

We have almost the exact opposite of this with draconian restrictions on corporate data use while governments act as if they are above the law (and usually get away with it). Somewhere in the middle of that lot is the correct approach.

3. Mostly Harmless
    Alert

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"...Citizens need government action to ensure that as more information moves from the desktop to the cloud, the INDIVIDUAL retains the traditional balance of privacy vis-à-vis the state, AND ANY COLLECTORS OR INFORMATION CONSOLIDATORS..."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Wrong date, surely?

"Search rivals Microsoft and Google have joined a coalition to simplify and clarify US law to protect the online privacy of netizens from government snooping."

It's not April 1st until tomorrow.

5. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

"protect the online privacy of netizens...

"...from government snooping...."

Great, now what about Microsoft's and Google's snooping...?

6. jake Silver badge

Eh?

Isn't the concept of microsoft & google teaming up in the name of privacy roughly the same principle as fucking to promote virginity?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bwah-Ha-Ha-Ha- ETC

"Search rivals Microsoft and Google have joined a coalition to simplify and clarify US law to protect the online privacy of netizens from government snooping."

What the fuck is that all about? IAB not good enough?

Some sort of allergic reaction by Google and Microsoft to the Merkan Gov getting a bit hardline, or did I get that bit wrong, about their actions.

Oh.... I get it....

Google and Microsoft want the Merkan Gov to give up on the idea of spying on their citizens plus ROW and Dog and give them the contract?

Fuck Me.... sideways.... next thing you know the Merkans will have a Digital Economy Bill sponsored by Google and Microsoft.

Remind me to commit suicide tomorrow if I haven't already done so. Mind you I think I'll just crawl off to bed and not have the courage to value your reminders.

Maybe, just for once, I can die in my sleep and then all this shit will go away.

8. Pirate Peter
    WTF?

synical view

i am concerned when the likes of google and M$ join together to lobby government

they only have their own interests at heart, and if they can dress it up as being on joe publics side they will to get their way

so the question is

"what is in this change for them"

less time and cost in complying with government requests?

no one looking over their shoulder at the data they collect?

or are they losing business as joe public wises up to the personal information hoovers they are and want to be seen to try and help poor old joe public so they "trust" them

leopards do not change spots

peter

9. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Microsoft teams with Google

Just the title sends a shiver down my spine.

I mean, think about it : the world's most prolific bug-and-insecurity generator has teamed with the worlds most powerful user data collator.

My guess is that the LHC collision yesterday did actually end the world.

10. Carrierbag Head
    Big Brother

hmmmm

So Google and Microsoft get together to champion the cause of privacy.

Are they having some sort of contest to see who can be the most ironic?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like