back to article Google gets happy-clappy with file transfer in talk widgets

Google has finally slotted peer-to-peer file transfers into its iGoogle and Orkut talk widgets. Mountain View said it planned to - eventually - bring the long-awaited feature to Gmail too. The file transfer addition means that users chatting in iGoogle and Orkut will no longer have to switch to email to send the file as an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FTP?

Really? I mean, obviously they use some file transfer protocol, but why would you use FTP? Firewall problems ahoy!

2. Tascam Holiday
    FAIL

FTP vs 'FTP'

I think the author's got the FTP protocol (RFC959) as was used by some Blogger sites confused with a generic file transfer mechanism for the chat clients.

3. EC
    Unhappy

FTP? Hmmm

Well here's an article that takes two methods of transferring files, ftp and over IM, and conflates them into the same thing. Sure there's some technical imprecision, but there's a snappy title and a way of slotting it into the context of other articles - and that's what seems to matter here.

4. Q We
    Stop

Author confused

Some sort of IT reeducation bootcamp is in order for this poor confused author.

FTP, the File Transfer Protocol as specified in RFC959 is used to publish articles to Blogger by some small percentage of users, is ancient, firewall unfriendly and is hard to maintain.

it has nothing to do with file recently deployed transfer feature of the talk widget.

So, as I said - off to the camp, Kelly.

1. Kelly Fiveash (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Author confused

I hear that, story's been updated.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So what protocol is used???????

The world waits.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Will no one think of..

The innocent children! Surely this can be used to exchange potentially illegal material and as such puts children everywhere in danger!

1. MichaelBirks

It's Google

It's already being tracked.

"It's what we do."

::EvilGoogle Logo::/::SaintGoogle Logo: YMMV.

7. mhenriday

Sounds good to me !

But then again, my children have passed the age of innocence....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like