back to article iPads sold out

iPad versions of applications will come at a premium, but with the iPad now sold out even the most spendthrift Apple fans will have to wait. Apple's iPad is already shipping to customers who pre-ordered early, to arrive before Easter. However, the initial manufacturing run has sold out and American visitors to the online store …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan Denman

Really

Like many releases we can take things with a pinch of salt.

A drip feed will no doubt ensure it is sold out for the next 12 months.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Apple doesn't Like Hitler's Opinion of the iPad

Apple is such an spineless company it apparently paid off the copyright owners of the film Downfall (famous for the Hitler rant used in all the Hitler meme videos) to issue a copyright take-down notice for the video “Hitler Responds to the iPad,” the YouTube sensation that garnered almost 3 million hits the first week after the iPad was announced and was the #1 comedy video for the month of January. Hundreds of Hitler meme videos using this same clip are currently on YouTube and have been for years, but for some reason (wink) the copyright owner, Constantin Film AG, issued its first copyright take-down notice for “Hitler Responds to the iPad” and YouTube took it down.

1. Adam T

"apparently"?

source?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Skeletor will be happy!!

and his iDiot army can all bow before him and await the iAds about to be unleashed.

4. Watashi

iTards

"But we won't know for certain until next week, and it will probably be six months before we find out if iPad users are really willing to pay $10 per applications."

Anyone who buys the iPad has already demonstrated that they're either wealthy enough or stupid enough to spend $10 a shot on apps.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Tablet

What's wrong with wanting a tablet computer?

This device will have its uses you can be sure of that.

Sorry, I just find these constant posts about how crap every device is really annoying on Reg. The Reg audience is so incredible negative about everything it is almost amusing. It's interesting looking at the differences between comments left on similar articles on Ars for example- Reg article comments are often miserable, narrow minded rants, while on Ars the comments are generally far more open minded and never as negative. I wonder why.

1. John 104

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

It's because readers on Ars are so STUNNED to see a tech article that they forget to be angry about overpriced crap.

2. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

Supersize me

Wanting a tablet computer is fine. It is not clear that this thing from Apple is anything more than a supersized ipod. That's fine if you understand that you're probably getting an Apple "Archos 9 knockoff". However, a lot of us suspect that most of the frenzy is being being fueled by people who don't really care if the device is suitable or not.

The iPad is not a tablet computer. It's an oversized PMP.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Damn peasants

I don't know about you, but from where I come from $10 isn't a lot of money.

1. SimpleUser
        Thumb Down

Bullshit

Your comment simply displays arrogance as its best.

Give $ 10 to a charity every week, be happy with it and save us from similar disclosures, if at all possible.

5. M Gale
    Thumb Down

Wot?

I thought the whole point - and only reason - of getting an Ipad is that you can run all of the Iphone apps on it.

Now the "lucky" early adopters are about to be shafted for extra cash on exactly the same app but OMG IT RUNS ON A BIGGER SCREEN? Since when did the average PC application get sold by monitor size?

Oh well. The 'tards can be happy with their door stop. I'll be happy with something a little more useful, like maybe paper and a pen.

6. The Other Steve
    Jobs Halo

Horses Gob, sssshh.

"it makes sense for Apple to encourage a high price point."

That's arguably not true, but only if we extend the same spending model that is currently happening iPhone, and the iPad is not the iPhone, so it's somewhat moot until we find out for sure.

Anyway, they didn't, exactly. Developers have been making that decision all by themselves, there have been extensive discussions - no names no packdrill, etc.

But yeah, certainly on launch day your quality iPad Apps are not going to be stacking up for $0.99, there is a great deal of positioning going on by those who hope to bring the prices for iPad Apps up close in line with 'desktop' software, which is not unreasonable when you consider that a similar amount of effort goes into creating it.

Indy app devs are not at all keen to embrace a new "rush to the bottom" and actual software shops don't want to play at all for $0.99 per sale. Certainly given the smaller economies of sale until (or unless) there are also 90 million iPad owners.

No doubt the crap vendors will try to make it happen in any case.

7. Aaron 10
    Dead Vulture

What a negative article

"...people will have to pay $10 for their fart apps..."

Interesting that the screen shot directly below that line clearly shows apps at well below $10.

And about complaining about not knowing what apps suck and what apps are worth the money, that's what reviews are for. If one fart app gets one star and another fart app gets four stars (presumably for higher-quality flatulence), you know which to buy... and that doesn't even include the text reviews ("loved the juiciness of the fart sounds").

If The Reg wants to be considered a news source rather than troll-bait, they need to remove the bias in their articles.

1. The Other Steve

Or

Perhaps it was a joke ?

2. J 3
      Coat

"that's what reviews are for"

As long as they are not left by the same folks writing the reviews for iFlorist, maybe...

8. rastansaga
    Linux

Same tax, different class

The lower class pay the 'must have latest Windows' tax

The middle class pay the 'must have latest Apple iDevice' tax.

The upper class use Linux

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Idiots with money they don't have

Never mind the recession, here comes the iPad, to complete America's brain death.

Pay for apps>? wha?

DRM? what's that?

looking forward to picking up a second-hand ipad v2 in a year's time for what a new iPod touch costs today, jailbreaking and downloading all the latest apps & games for free. . .

1. The Other Steve

Or

Just people with a few quid.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Splice the mainbrace, Cap'n

I must be one of those odd people who doesn't mind paying for content . Call me old-fashioned and all that.

10. bruceld
    FAIL

Stunning

Let me see if I understand why I should buy the iPad:

- It doesn't support Flash.

- I can't install applications without the permission of Apple.

- Apple has already demonstrated with the iPhone/Touch App store that they stifle or dissallow competing software.

- Apple can remotely disable anything that I install.

- Ultimately Apple controls everything and I can't do whatever I want with it even though I "own" the product.

- If I dare try to install anything without Apples permission I must first "crack" the system, which of course violates the DMCA so then Apple can permanently brick my device.

- Hardware issues are not yet known. Is the device's screen prone to cracking if I store it in my backpack? How is the battery...is it going to explode on my lap when I'm on an airplane? Is Apple going to sign me a non-disclosure agreement and oppress me in order to get my device fixed by them?

No thanks. I think I'll pass. I'll let the Apple fanbois get suckered in to their marketing hype and steve jobs garbage rants.

11. Jared Earle
    Dead Vulture

Doesn't disappoint

As expected, the comments section for an iPad article is stuffed full of iDiots jokes and how evil Apple is. It's "Speak you're Branes" with a technical twist.

$10 isn't that much for software unless you're used to piracy. Besides, if you think it's too expensive, don't buy an iPad or the apps. No one is holding a gun to your head, making you give Apple money.

Or, just get back to your sanitary towels and gurgle about how free and open Android is while the rest of us get on with the future.

12. Dick Emery
    Stop

Unlike mobile phones...

...there is an open door for tablet computers to stomp all over the iPad. We all know mobiles phones are generally crap and always have been until the iPhone came along. Too many OS's and too many crap apps with no unified place to purchase them. This is partly the reason the iPhone succeeded and don't even mention Windows mobile nonsense.

Now a door is there for companies like Asus to step up to the bar and produce a 'good' tablet computer that does everything the iPad can do any more. Of course the biggest problem will be the Windows OS or some *nix variant. All are not as good at touchy feely stuff with not so great GUI's. But I think it's possible to have a shell for Winblows that could match or beat the iPhone/iPad. It just takes a little ingenuity of the OEM's part.

13. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Confused

I thought the way the App Store worked was developers set the price and got to keep 70% and Apple got 30%.

This is open and reflects a free market ecomony - good apps will get good reviews and can command a premium in price.

How can apple "encourage" $10 pricing. This looks like anticompetitive practice. The US has the Sherman Act, the UK have the MMC and I'm sure the EU will look into this - if it is true.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have to admire apples marketing machine

Why else would supposedly rational(sic) people wet themselves over such an obviously limited machine in the name of looking cool?

I know it's fun to windows bash but by most accounts windows 7 is as good with touch as mac/iphone os and at least m$ tend to take a more pragmatic approach for most people, and with just a little bit of knowledge its easy to extend it for any specific need.

Guess dell/ HP hardware just isnt trendy enough

1. Goat Jam
      FAIL

Yeah

Until you need to load it up with all the anti-malware kruft and even then your teenage daughter will manage to visit some dodgy site and install half a dozen search toolbars and before you know it you are on the phone to your "computer whiz" nephew to try and help you out.

Windows 7 may or may not be "as good as the touch" but I doubt it. Add to that the fact you'll need much more powerful battery killing hardware just to run all the kruftware and I really can't see future Windows tablets being any less than the Epic Fails that they have been for the last 10 years since Bill enlightened us all with his fantastical vision of a tablet happy future.

The future of tablets is Apple and Android. Windows will be an also-ran.

2. Volker Hett

From what I've read in forums

It's those who don't like the iPad who wet themselves. Probably those who are to buy one don't know how to find the relevant information in forums like this?

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Thanks for putting a label on everything

You create a couple of buckets and into each one you put everyone you *think* you know. You have no idea and I'll thank you not to analyse the reasons I want to have one of these devices, because I'll tell you frankly, you've got it completely wrong.

15. PurpleRon
    FAIL

Lightsaber

What a two handed one. I can't really see people swinging an ipad around.

Anyhow - it's nice to look forward to the next revolution, you know the one where 'puters become easy to use and require no technical support....... sorry laughed so hard milk came out of my nose.

16. Ascylto
    Jobs Halo

Trollery

These iPad items bring out so many microshite trolls from under bridges that there could be time for a cull.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like