back to article Apple pries iPad moniker from Fujitsu

A week and a day before Apple's "magical and revolutionary" iPad is scheduled to be released, Apple has finally acquired the rights to its name. As The Reg reported, shortly after Steve Jobs unveiled the iPad to the world on January 27, Fujitsu piped up to let Jobs know that he was using someone else's property. "It's our …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

I thought ...

Jobs was evil. Thanks for the perspective, El Reg.

"cleavage-enhancing technology from a Canadian bra company."

2. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

Now if I were fujitsu...

Would I let Apple get away with this iTsmytrademark iOwneverythingstartingwiththeletteri business or just make things really just difficult for them...

Personally, and I don't know what Fujitsu's books look like saying this, if I were fujitsu, I would tell Apple to stick their iFingers up their iCollective iArses..., call your big iPhone sans phone something else, I know we're messing with your launch, but screw you, you corporate iBastards,

Quite honestly, I hope Apple really gave Fujitsu a lot of cash for this. I mean, A LOT of cash.

Honestly, Apple, sometimes I don't know whom I dislike more, you guys or M$.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Calm down, dear.

I'd have a nice cup of tea if I were you. Perhaps with a biscuit.

2. chr0m4t1c
      Thumb Down

Who is getting away with what, exactly?

Yes, but as Apple largely created the market buzz for iWhatever following the launches of the iMac (1998) and iPod (2001), Fujitsu appear to have deliberately named their product to cash in on that; this isn't the same as Cisco's iPhone, which was named in 1996 by a company they acquired later.

If you started selling a McPizza I think you could realistically expect to be talking to the "Mc" people at some point in the future.

Fujitsu isn't a small company being picked on by Big Bad Apple, they're a very large company in their own right (worth $32.6 billion as opposed to Apple's $31.6 billion according to 2009 figures), I doubt they went into this with their eye closed.

3. mafoo

trade deal

No doubt Fujitsu gets a bulk order for some part in the iPad, or up coming Apple product, like LCDs.

4. Phalamir
    Happy

Why choose?

"Honestly, Apple, sometimes I don't know whom I dislike more, you guys or M$."

That doesn't have to be an either/or statement - feel free to espouse equality

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

ipad.com

http://www.jesustablet.com/2010/01/apples-tablet-and-mysterious-enero-6.html

is an interesting read if you have nothing better to do with your time... ie, your ass is not itching..

6. Dazed and Confused

It's a question of noughts

> We can only guess the extent of back-room cajoling, bargaining, arm-twisting, and carrot-and-sticking

I doubt any of this went on. It will have been a conversation along the lines of

We own that, what you going to give us?

$%)*$&"

I don't think you understand, We own that, you can't sell something called an iPad unless you buy it from us. What you going to give us?

$%)*$&"0

OK, so you've worked out the rules of this little game. Now you just need to work out which ball park we're playing it in.

$%)*$&"00

Now you really aren't trying hard enough are you.

$%)*$&"000

A little better, but you've got to understand things from our point of view. You are the richest computer company with the highest profit margin since someone worked out how to sell a service pack as a whole new experience... So, what you going to give us?

$%)*$&"00000

... and so on.

Now just bend over this isn't going to hurt "me" much.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think they know the rules...

They are, after all, the company that worked out how to sell services packs....

7. mccp
    Jobs Halo

iPad is someone else's property?

Just change the name - not that big of a deal.

8. B B Beyer
    Jobs Horns

Change the name of the your product, Steve...

...not that much of a big deal, surely?!

9. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Is it just me....

..... or does the Kiwi iPad just look like a very artsy-fartsy trailer home? $125k and it doesn't even have wheels like a real trailer park special! OK, 125k Kiwi dollars so can't be much in real money, but still.....

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Silly name for a silly product

Call it what you like Mr Jobs, it's a load of old crap.

11. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

I was intrigued.

As to what a "commercial-kitchen Bump Bar unit" was.

I suppose it's called that because "incredibly cheesy old keypad, as used by Noah" doesn't get the punters through the door.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Paris Hilton

Cheese Please

"Incredibly cheesy old keypad"

Yes, I have one as well, along with the cheese, there are some biscut crumbs, bread crumbs, and the <3> / <Page down> has a smear of tomato ketchup on it....

Paris, she knows where to find the cheese.

12. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Coat

iPads

I would have thought that Johnson & Johnson would have held the trademark for that.

Mine's the one with the... err... em... nerver mind.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like