back to article Roger Boyes probes Vienna Boys’ Choir

You know how it is: you've got a hot story on the Vienna Boys’ Choir that needs writing up pronto, so you put your top man on the job... Vienna Boys’ Choir caught up in sex abuse scandals, writes Roger Boyes ...and the next thing you know, the El Reg Friday Bootnote schoolboy innuendo sub-division is all over it. We got in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Antony King
    Happy

A perfect example of...

nominative determinism

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: A perfect example of...

It would be nominative determinism if it was his job to have sex with boys.

1. The Indomitable Gall

You're only against nominative determinism...

...cos you'd get bored making honey all day.

Re: You're only against nominative determinism...

Against it? What?

Making honey every day would be infinitely preferable to mopping up after you lot.

1. mmiied

but sarah

I thought you loved your job the chance to interact with such a livley and impashoned community all day?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Pint

this is a non-sequitur

Making honey all day may well be infinitely preferable to mopping up but that does not prove whether you are for or against it.

Re: this is a non-sequitur

That might be a non-sequitur, but this is my fist.

2. David John Walsh
          Happy

thats not right

to be truly nominate determinism the delightful subject of discussion would have to work as a "traffic counter with special interest to yellow-black flying honey producer"

as in those people who stand by by roads counting cars

"red car, blue car, red car, saw a bee...."

that type of thing.

2. Eddie Edwards
        Headmaster

Pedantry is not correct

"Nominative determinism refers to the theory that a person's name is given an influential role in reflecting key attributes of his job, profession, or general life" (wikipaedo)

Your interpretation of the term appears rather less broad. Having a job that requires writing articles of this nature seems like nominative determinism to me!

Although it's a shame he doesn't have a first name Ian which he doesn't use but which gets indicated by an initial when writing his name. I. Roger Boyes would just be the icing on the cake.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

for example

if there were an RC priest called Phil McCavity?

2. Stefing
    Coat

Murdoch wants your dosh

The lengths he'll go to so you'll stump up for his poxy paywall.

What next? Mike Hunt writes an article on vaginal discharge?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Ivor Bigge

Medical reporter....?

4. Professor Tinklepants

Thought for Lent

Christ's Last Words:

"Listen, you can re-interperet the rest of what I told you however you like and use it to cause abject misery for untold billions of your fellow men but do me one favour - don't fiddle with kids, OK?"

5. frank ly
    Thumb Up

A Simple Question

I was impressed by the simple question just under the online masthead: "Where Am I?"

It seems so appropriate.

6. Daedalus
    Jobs Halo

Haven't you figured it out yet?

Roger Boyes is to articles of a potentially embarrassing nature what Alan Smithee was to Hollywood turkeys. There ain't no such person, and you ought to have been able to hear the Times hack's tongue firmly implanted in cheek.

1. Rob K

This link says otherwise

http://www.newstatesman.com/writers/roger_boyes

7. Alex C
    Thumb Up

Very impressed with your moderatrx skills Ms Bee

It's been 2 hours since defining your job as mopping up us lot, and barely a ribald titter has made it to the comments section.

You must have us all very well trained...

1. Oninoshiko

Could Bee....

could just be that she's moderating them away... I mean moderating you proles *IS* what she does.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Nah....

....the reason for that is that Sarah is discovering that mopping up honey is a much, er, stickier job than she expected....

8. Gianni Straniero
    Coffee/keyboard

Advertising

As ever, if you switch off your ad blocking software, you get some unfortunate juxtapositions. See, for example, the big yellow box on the right:

http://yfrog.com/9fadfailp

9. Alan Ferris
    Coat

For once.... and once only

Please, no Playmobil

10. David John Walsh

i'd like to say...

The editors at the Times do have a lot of these people........ a Jonathan Leake often is bylined for the sort of stories that end up in the public domain before they should be.

11. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Paging...

... Captain Pugwash!

(And, yes, I know it was an urban myth...)

12. Lars Silver badge
    FAIL

Funny

Although my native tongue is not English, I still, mostly, have the feeling I know what "you" speak about. But this "article" including the posted messages just beats me 100%.

On the other hand, perhaps I am just a lucky guy.

This topic is closed for new posts.