back to article O2 Cocoon mobile phone

O2 may have beaten its rivals to the iPhone, but it’s already launched a first assault on the mobile music market with a distinctively quirky own-brand design, the Cocoon. With 2GB of tune-packing internal memory and 2GB memory card support it’s ready to go toe-to-toe with most other music phones. And, strangely enough, alarm …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Sheils

Slim is king, I don't think so

I hate these tiny phone designs, and I have to give O2 some credit for this phone as it certainly has caught my attention, if they bring it out in a dark colour I would have considered it.

Guess I'll just keep waiting for the LG U990...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

O2 have balls

If you're asking £295 for this as a PAYG shows O2 have either big balls or they've totally lost touch with reality if they think this phone is worth nearly £300. At that money they're saying it's got more to offer than nearly anything coming from Sony-Ericsson, Nokia, LG or Motorola. They're clearly a bit mad.

3. Owen Carter
    Gates Horns

The phone lacks one thing and the review lacks another..

Why don't manufacturers put a standard 3.5m jack in music phones? My SPV is the same as this, uses some crappy proprietary plug and they charge you a fortune for a new set of headphones. It was cheaper to buy a new MP3 player than it was to replace the orange (nothing special except the price) headphones.

- I know they also need to add a mic. and other control lines too.. but there are ways of dealing with that.

- And yes, it comes with a 'adapter', but I'll bet the adapter has crummy strain relief, breaks after reasonable use, and costs a fortune to replace (if you can even buy it separately).

As for the review, yet again we are not told about how the phone synchronises.. Just mac and windows info and no discussion aboutr wether it mounts as a USB drive (and is therefore compatible with pretty much everything.)

- Simon; this is, unfortunately, in the finest tradition of el-reg reviews.. Please, please give a overview of the sync method (USB filesystem, vs. proprietary/activesync/telepathy) and then note any handy apps they supply for specific OS's. Ta.

4. Gareth

Bonus..?

Oh wow, there's a bonus.. A corporate entity changing my wallpaper for advertising purposes? It's like they read my mind!

A pint of Bishop's Ringfinger to the first person who hacks that to send out goatse.. :)

5. Richard

not bad ... but the price is high

Its a nice design but its too expensive thanks to the lock-in tariffs .. I'll look for a cheap one on eBay.

6. Brian
    Gates Horns

Own worst enemy

Is it me, or is O2 going to bite its own arse?, they have already bought a deal for the iphone, why have this aswell

7. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Re: O2 have balls

"If you're asking £295 for this as a PAYG shows O2 have either big balls or they've totally lost touch with reality"

If my recent dealings with them are any indication[*], it's definitely the latter and one of the main reasons I've booted them into touch and gone over to T-Mobile instead (I've also 'downgraded' from an XDA Mini to a Nokia 6300 - never been happier)

Having seen a Cocoon in the York O2 shop, the first thing I thought was 'Eeeewwww!' - looks like the bastard offspring of an iPod and a bedside alarm clock and, given the quality of O2s reception round here, is probably more useful as one of these than as an actual phone.

[*] - eg. ringing their customer support to request my PAC code and having to sit through an advert for the bloody iPhone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like