back to article Oracle duo pitch for Java's lifeblood

Execs from "the combined Sun and Oracle" tag-teamed at this year's EclipseCon to talk about the future of Java in a turn that was full of team spirit, but few details on Oracle's plans. Longtime Oracle face Steve Harris, senior vice president of the giant's application server group, was joined by the ex-vice president of Sun …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Java ME 6 please...

With this transition, now would be the time to drive a completely new route into the mobile sector with a new ME platform inline with Java SE. This drive into better modularity will help and we can start seeing capabilities that are inline with existing modern mobile solutions. For example, what about a native compilation option for micro devices like the iPhone so we don't need to pick up new languages or toolkits (I like Objective-C but I can hardly port that skill-set onto a meaningful RAD project on other non-Apple systems)?

Qt is a fine example of what can be achieved in desktop and mobile application development and was inspired by Java, so let's bring it back in. Mobile is where we'll lose the market if this revolution fails to break the whole vendor / OEM implementation issue with Java ME 1.4.

2. sventamagotchi

TBD

A colleage of mine has just started his Sun java architect exams and finds that most of the subsequent parts are set to TBD and put on hold ... anyone know what's going on here?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nope...

It's most likely something to do with certification and nothing to do with the platform itself. Oracle is probably reviewing how certification will work and that's created a moratorium for exam centers.

I actually would not have expected exam centers to be affected at this point, so it is a little puzzling.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like