back to article Chinese gamer survives knife through skull

A Chinese gamer's net cafe Counter Strike session ended under the surgeon's knife when youths stabbed him in the skull with a 14-cm blade. X-ray of gamer with knife in skull Xiao Wei, 17, of Mishazi, Jilin province, was apparently accused of using a “wallhack”, allowing him to see the opposition through walls. He and chum …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's only a game - no one died

No wait.

2. The Indomitable Gall

And our neurosurgeon says...?

Odd that none of the western reports I've read so far have asked a neurosurgeon whether this is remotely plausible....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Well...

Guess we never will find out if he was wall hacking will we....

4. Stone Fox
    Coat

It's a good thing

they don't notice the AimBot hack as well then.

5. Bottle_Cap
    Stop

Well...

If people will insist on playing a game as lame and cheat filled as CS....

6. Sebastian Brosig

plausible

IANANS but it does seem plausible, your frontal cortex isn't essential for living.

Chances are the boy will have an altered personality as well a possibly be blind or something like that.

A guy survived a 2'' bolt through the skull before (while placing explosives in a mine), and he apparently has some scruples removed from his personality in the process.. i dread to think what this guy will turn out be like, he was a cheater to begin with!

1. Cantab
      Pirate

Good 'ole Phineas Gage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage

This guy will probably be fine, except he'll be awful at sports for the rest of his life, then again he was already playing CS so he's probably already awful at sports, no great loss really.

Skulls and Knives? Fairly obvious really...

7. criscros
    Terminator

hm..

"Wei was able to walk to the 2nd Affiliated Hospital of Jilin University."

I think he glitched..

1. Anonymous Bastard
      Coat

Or he respawned

As in, hospitals are common locations for births, and, well... you get it....

2. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

God Mode

God mode imho.

8. Nick Lord

Someone has to say it

I need this like I need a hole in the head.

There - I feel better now.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Ding!

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/11/09/

10. David Newbould

I can't believe nobody went there yet...

HEADSHOT !

11. Fluffykins Silver badge

Is this the ultimate

Chinese Hack Attack

12. The mind of Dave

The mind of Dave

Does he run faster with the knife out?

13. PirateSlayer
    Joke

H

The only reason he didn't RUN to the surgery was because the knife was in his head not his hand.

14. Michael 82
    Thumb Down

...pwnage

..."cause everyone runs faster with a knife"

I bet he wont be playing CS ever-again

15. Andrew Oakley
    Coat

wallhack =

wallhack = backstab + headshot

16. Tom 38
    FAIL

Dont blame the player

Blame the game - this is only possible in fucking counter strike - only 80 dmg for a knife headshot sometimes :/

17. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Shortcut

Just think how far he'd have to have walked to hospital had he not had the wall hack - lucky for him, I say!

18. serviceWithASmile
    Grenade

well done el reg

for noting the discrepancies in the various other news reports, and china's suspect motives regarding games and the internet possibly being at work.

I know why he isn't dead. He got the kevlar + helmet armour, it helps protect you from headshots.

those guys did a shoddy job if they only hit his mate once, and in the arm at that.

you don't win the round till all the CT's are dead.

bet they are kicking themselves now that their score hasn't gone up....

19. Marvin the Martian
    Dead Vulture

"Warning: graphic images"

What were you thinking when writing "warning: graphic images"? Are there non-graphic ones? Shouldn't you write this before all non-ASCII illustrations then, at the very very least?

20. Lionel Baden

godmode !!

it was never established if he was actually cheating ..

ive been accused loads of times, CS is full of wingy tossers and bad losers.

Just goto another server with proper skill level

21. Andy 4
    Grenade

If he used a wallhack..

He deserves it.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

My motto

I would never kill a person...........Unless he PISSED ME OFF!

23. John Lodge
    Coat

Brain dead

I always suspected that the players of these games were not the brightest bulb in the box, now I'm convinced. One of the major attributes required to enjoy this pastime is obviously a frontal lobotomy although no brain at all is preferable

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Brain dead.

"...not the brightest bulb in the box...."

You mean the sort of person that you can shove a 14" knife right through their head and miss their brain completely?

That explains a lot......

24. multipharious

Nice Bootnote

clarific...

Love it. Also noting the cooked up story angle as opposed to just reporting what was released.

25. Spleen

title

"the surgeon estimated the chances of Wei surviving such an injury were "one in ten thousand""

I love media statistics. Did he mean there is a one in ten thousand chance of stabbing someone in the head and missing all the arteries and motor control areas, or did he mean there is a one in ten thousand chance of surviving once someone's put a knife is in that particular position in your head?

26. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Obviously...

He respawned.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like